Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 91 or 93??  (Read 7249 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
AKG 91 or 93??
« on: October 27, 2002, 10:02:09 PM »
Just curious if anyone has some input on which caps I should get  (putting the  money I didn't spend on the ad-500  towards mics!!)  I will primarily be taping in large arenas (Phish, TAB) and ampitheaters with occasional theater shows and small venues.  I'm definately getting the SE300 bodies just have to decide on the card or hyper caps.

Thanks and I hope everybody had a good weekend!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline d swing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:AKG 91 or 93??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 10:09:45 PM »
If the majority of the shows you're going to be doing will be from the section of a fairly large venue, I say go with the hypers.  If you're gonna be in smaller venues and theaters, go for the cards.  My .02...

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 10:18:15 PM »
Thanks that's what I figured too....Taped Trey in Portland Thurs with c1000s cards and the show came out GREAT..best tape I've pulled...so it got me wondering...
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 02:03:24 PM »
The AKG ck91 cardioid caps come with the 300 bodies when bought new.  If you are buying used and have a choice, I would go with the ck93 hyper caps.  I found them to sound smoother and without a lot of the lower end balloon of the ck91 caps.  They also did a very effective job of reducing crowd noise.  I really, really liked the ck93 hyper caps, but I do almost all of my recordings indoors in poor-sounding places.  If you do a lot of outdoor shows, you may want to check out the ck91s if you have a choice of caps.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2002, 02:04:15 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 03:46:18 PM »
I'm buying the mics new but have the option of substituting the 93 caps.  Iwill be doing outdoor shows.....in about 8 months....once again others have handed me the answer that was right in front of me......93's it is...get the cards in spring.......

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com