Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 71145 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:56 PM »
i imagine. whenever ive run out of power the last file is always there

Hope so.  Oops. If not, certainly a learning lesson.  I was just in such a hurry to break down and get out.

I wanted to work on the tape and upload while on the road.  Guess I have to wait a week to see if I have a full tape to work with.  🤷🏻‍♂️
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2021, 03:12:46 AM »
It *does* work for the original MixPre series, at least with the model 3. I have been using it as an audio interface to run SMAART tools on an iPad Pro.

Some comments:

- Avoid using the Lightning camera adaptor. It provides very flaky power and it causes trouble like the MixPre restarting repeteadly. Unintuitively, you should always
use the USB-A port in the MixPre with a normal USB-Lightning cable for the iPhone/iPad.

- Some iOS applications support multi channel audio (these recorders are class compliant USB devices so they won't need any driver). THe MixPre can happily
accomodate both.

If the app supports multichannel audio, use System->USB Audio->Normal. If it is limited to stereo, System->USB Audio->Stereo. Pretty straightforward.

These are FANTASTIC tips. Thank you.
UNINTUITIVELY is right, I assumed that the USB-A port was only for keyboards or controllers. Have tried nothing else there.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
I'll be running 6 channels with my Mixpre 6-ii this Saturday for Billy Strings. Setup will be:

Ch 1&2 : AKG 568 Shotguns
Ch 3&4 : AKG 480 + ck62 omni
Ch 5&6 : AKG ck63 > baby nbox

I've never ran a mic level signal through the aux input...Is is generally regarded as acceptable or should I run channels 5&6 through my A10 instead? I can't imagine the A10 has better preamps, but you never know.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2021, 05:02:01 PM »
The MixPre aux-in has a maximum input level of +10 dBu in line mode. A quick search showed that the CK63 ULS has a sensitivity of 20 mV/Pa, so you'd need about 136 dBSPL to generate a signal of that level. I am not sure if the "ULS" is the same model as what you have, but, if it is, you should be fine. The A10's audio IN has a "rated input level of approximately 2V", so a little less than the MixPre.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2021, 05:19:40 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, you might consider asking noahbickart. I recall reading that he regularly use the 5/6 input and he might have some useful advice.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »
Thanks aaronji, I'm going to run it with the Mixpre and see how it goes.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »
Ok I ran the mixpre 6 for my second show and am stumped. The multitrack file plays fine in foobar with no clipping that I can tell. The ISO tracks are brickwalled (which I expected) but no matter how much I dial the gain down in izotope, it's still badly clipped. Am I doing this wrong? It worked for me nicely last time.

I recorded at 32 bit 96khz. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:52:03 PM by DavidPuddy »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
Ok I ran the mixpre 6 for my second show and am stumped. The multitrack file plays fine in foobar with no clipping that I can tell. The ISO tracks are brickwalled (which I expected) but no matter how much I dial the gain down in izotope, it's still badly clipped. Am I doing this wrong? It worked for me nicely last time.
so the same isos that are brickwalled play fine as a multitrack? thats odd

usually on the MP when the isos are clipped its input overloading (mic-in when line-in should have been used
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
Yep, no idea what happened. I ran 3 pairs of mics and listened to each pair of mics afterwards on the recorder with no problems.

Here's one of the poly files if you feel inclined to play around: https://we.tl/t-i31gAxjc6b
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:50:52 PM by DavidPuddy »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »
You do know that RX7 has a repair function for clipped files, right? 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2021, 09:31:35 PM »
You do know that RX7 has a repair function for clipped files, right?
you do know that there is not a software on earth that can correct to 100% of what a correct unclipped signal can be, right?
Lets work on the fundamentals first
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2021, 09:38:12 PM »
Yep, no idea what happened. I ran 3 pairs of mics and listened to each pair of mics afterwards on the recorder with no problems.

Here's one of the poly files if you feel inclined to play around: https://we.tl/t-i31gAxjc6b

looks good from here. a lot of the tracks are digitally clipped but have full resolution when volume is dropped

i dont know why the isos would act differently? do they show hard clips when volumes are reduced?

Nothing fundamentally wrong there, and pretty easy to copy/paste the tracks you want to a 2-track if thats the only option
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:47:45 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2021, 10:06:08 PM »

looks good from here. a lot of the tracks are digitally clipped but have full resolution when volume is dropped

i dont know why the isos would act differently? do they show hard clips when volumes are reduced?

Nothing fundamentally wrong there, and pretty easy to copy/paste the tracks you want to a 2-track if thats the only option

Thanks for taking a look. I have a pair of ISO tracks open in RX7 now and lowering the gain only reduces the volume level - the waveform still looks exactly the same and is unlistenable. The screenshots below are for a different file than the one I attached earlier, but it's in the same condition.

https://i.imgur.com/kLhDo1B.png

Here it is after lowering gain 20db:

https://i.imgur.com/K6ca8IH.png

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2021, 10:12:26 PM »
looks like perhaps a software issue. post up a short clip of the iso and ill see what soundforge does with it

in SF, "volume" and " normalize" are distinclty differnet functions - the former more useful with 32-bit float over 0dB

im not sure how the 'gain' function is izotope works- i only use it for the clever stuff not basic editing

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2021, 10:35:46 PM »
I'm sure that Jerry doesn't have RX7 and is simply offering an opinion without any basis for it.  If you haven't used it, don't knock it, Jerry.  Conversely I have RX7 and have experience using it and using to repair files, like clipping, click tracks, crowd noise and other external anomalies.  It is amazing.   

What RX7 does is by scanning the area (and that takes a fair amount of time, a one hour file might take 20 minutes for a scan), it then extrapolates what the wave curve should look like if there was no clipping, which also takes a lot of time (again, a one hour file might take 30 minutes to repair).  It then lowers the gain and restores the high points to the wave file with full dynamic range.

I get it that it is a educated guess on the part of RX7, but it is designed and sold to address this specific problem.  But RX7 is amazing in all respects, but it excels in clipping.  Let's just say that it is way better than simply lowering the gain as Jerry suggests.  Software Engineers that make a lot more money than you and me times 10 with college degrees in this specific area developed it, and the latest version (I have 2019) is amazing.  I also get it that it is stupidly expensive, which is why most people don't bother purchasing it, and simply criticize it. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com