Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can I shorten my optical cable?  (Read 5560 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
can I shorten my optical cable?
« on: April 19, 2004, 01:33:55 PM »
Hello... I have a 10' optical cable, and I would like to cut it off to make 1@ 2' and 1@8'.  I've heard that this can be done, but I have never seen any ends that fit over raw cable... anybody ever done this?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
Re:can I shorten my optical cable?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:08:53 PM »
WOOO HOOOO!!!! I stumped you all (scratching my chin / evil laugh)
   I actually got a responce from doug oade (the ultimate unstumpable default info guy)  He said I can get the connectors at any electronics store, and to just make sure I cut at a near perfect 90deg angle with either a razor blade or a special cable cutter.  then peal the insulation back and put on the connector.  I'll look around for a connector, but so far radio shack is a no go.  Thanks moke for not makin' me feel unloved!  +T back atcha!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 07:03:54 PM »
we splice fiberoptic cables at work all the time for data.  we have a little jig w/ a cutter on it and some special glue stuff.  I dunno how these cables compare to our optical cables and choose not to google it, but i imagine i can be done w/ a razor blade and proper connectors.  I have made some pretty sloppy ones here and never had a problem.  YMMV.   :)  
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 04:44:38 PM »
For this...if you don't know the answer...you prolly can't do it.  That being said...Optical cutting/polishing and connector mating has a certain skill to it (nothing too involved but requires some knowledge and easier w/ the right tools)...ya cut it square, make sure no pits/digs/scratches...sand/polish if there is...then install connector.  I've never done any of this but have sen optical cable work done here at work by the IT folks (that and I stayed in a Holiday Inn).  RATSHAK may have a DIY kit...also there are manufacturing kits to be had on line....look around.  try to make a jitter test prior and after to see if you got it right (else just try the cable out).

GFL
peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 04:48:19 PM »
Yeah, I dunno if I would trust myself in trying this....figure it is tricky with the fiberoptics.  

But good luck on yours, let us know how it goes :)
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 07:15:28 PM »
matt ive got a 1m monster opti cable ill sell you cheap.  i think they are 40 new, so like half of that

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 10:39:44 PM »
matt ive got a 1m monster opti cable ill sell you cheap.  i think they are 40 new, so like half of that

I'm on a mission man!!!  I'm going to butcher mine!   er... a.. screw it!  Pay pal ok?

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »
yah paypal is fine, jpschust@indiana.edu.  i cant mail it till friday (till my new one gets here)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 12:23:54 AM »
Thanks Man!!!  +T

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 01:48:17 AM »
no problem

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 08:09:44 AM »
bummer I would have liked to see this happen!
the show is over go home please.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com