Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lectrosonics SPDR Stereo Dig Recorder  (Read 28733 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Lectrosonics SPDR Stereo Dig Recorder
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:03 PM »
would love to go V3 AES to the SPDR but they are a little pricey for just that me thinks

sweet looking setup
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
Nice looking Schoeps rig.  So how does the mic pre compare to an nbox? 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2019, 02:39:32 AM »
i have no idea. its pretty clean based on my tests. cleaner than the mics.

sounds clear and dynamic, see samples on previous page

id almost like to send it off to someone more knowledgeable to do some good input noise measurements on it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:33:53 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
success last night

the idiotproofness of this device is great.

started show at input level of 30> saw one red peak in first minute >dropped level to 24 and forgot about it for rest of show. resulting wav was mostly peaking between -6dB and -2 dB

level lights are good, pretty much if your -20dB green lights are lit most of the time youre in a good zone. the belt clip is handy you can clip it and look down your shirt and see level lights. if you keep it in the input level menu screen the buttons are tactile and you can adjust up and down without looking at display

i ran 4Vs in my hat and dpa core 4061>d:vice in croakies on my glasses so should be a good comp between the  >:D rig and the invisible rig
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:38:31 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
heres the MK4V recording of AURORA. I know y'all are dying for some electropop  :lol:

i was right up near the stage as i mentioned in that other thread. its an odd combination of the PA wedge i caught, and the high stage volume from the drums. i did "balance" the percussion and vox in izotope RX7

in the end, the clarity and bass extension is there... sounds like mk4v to me.

this was on the louder end of anything i would record, sounds like it was within the max spl of the CMRs powered at the 4 volts the lectrosonics puts out (minimum for CMR spec).

show has a good mix of softer and louder stuff, check it out. particularly "in bottles" and "it happened quiet"

FLAC 24 (also as a .torrent on DIME): drive.google.com/open?id=16uvJpIEZMvx1EqSBbOU8l1j8Sp4PQI8T

MP3 V0 (downloadable archive): drive.google.com/open?id=1kUQn7vthU9lYqZNFMWRIiJiW5ydnGqfU

MP3 V0 (streamable folder): drive.google.com/open?id=1O7xh9VZWIqJ-g1mFZbE6O6naVOUcApD8

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:07:17 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2019, 12:34:29 AM »
got my knockoff microdot to TA5F adapters
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAM-C5L-B-Microdot-Adapter-FOR-DPA-Fits-Lectrosonics-Bodypack-Transmitter/181444266441
 ($30 knockoff of $100 DPA DAD3056 - there wasnt really a spec or wiring diagram given, but a measurement shows this particular one has 3.9K resistor on pin 3,and  pins 2&4 shorted as expected to give 4V servo power)

I did some tests of various setups to assess noise floor

I set up a mic stand in my living room in a triangle with a stereo pair of monitors and did 3 setups:
A: dpa 4061>d:vice (reference since that equipment is designed by the mfr to be used together, d:vice should provide full 5V power to 4061)

B: dpa 4061>microdot to TA5F adapter>SPDR (SPDR only puts out at most 4V to 4061, which is lower than  its 5V spec. will it affect the sound?)

C: MK4V>CMR>SPDR

i matched levels as close as i could by eye on a dynamic passage. did 3 songs and resulting waveforms looked like
A:d:vice gain at +20dB and metarecorder levels at 75%: peaked at -10dB
B:dpa>SPDR input level set to 31, peaked at -8 dB
C:mk4v>SPDR  input level set to 35, peaked at -12 dB

when normalized to same level, and looking at the "quiet space" between songs (room noise of my DVR, refrigerator, etc)
A.dpa>d:vice noise level -72 dB RMS
B.dpa>SPDR noise level -66 dB RMS
C.MK4V>SPDR noise level -72 dB RMS

my read is that the actual room was ~-72dB, but the DPA>SPDR had higher noise for one of two reasons
-mic output (relative to self noise) is reduced because of being powered below voltage
-using mic-in on SPDR instead of line-in like the schoeps (less likely as my previous tests of CMR in mic-in and line-in were not that different)

using 3V 4063s instead of 5V 4060/4061 would likely solve this issue. i have not determined if the 4061s at lower voltage have reduced max SPL but this would not surprise me. in these moderate-volume tests they sound identical to my ears

ill try to do some tests with sine waves at high spl and see if i can visually see distortion

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:49:25 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2019, 03:29:14 AM »

ill try to do some tests with sine waves at high spl and see if i can visually see distortion

welp.... i just found the quickest way to blow both of my $220 dynaudio tweeters.... fuck. one was like 6 mos old.

from another site where someone had a similar experience...

If you play a high frequency tone at normal listening levels, you will blow lots of tweeters and fast. When doing what you are doing, it must be way below normal listening levels. Tweeter wire is thin. A sine wave gives the VC no break, and will burn out at half a watt or so if you keep it up. You have to be very, very careful playing high frequency sine waves through speakers. Tweeters are fragile items and are easily blown doing what you are doing.

The rule for high frequency tones and tweeters is KEEP IT LOW and SHORT.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:34:41 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »
Thanks for all your research about the SPDR. This is quite interesting to follow. And very sorry about your speakers.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »
it is what it is. some lessons are more expensive than others. i'm "upgrading" them to Morel MDT32S (the "upgrade" being that they are $80 each, and have $22 replaceable voice coils on this easily blown part which i now have a collection of)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:40:52 PM by jerryfreak »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
i have not determined if the 4061s at lower voltage have reduced max SPL but this would not surprise me. in these moderate-volume tests they sound identical to my ears

Once upon a time I came across a DPA table listing 406x specifications at lower than nominal powering voltages.  As is typical with most microphones and as you speculate, at lower powering voltages, max SPL, sensitivity, and distortion thresholds decrease, until at some point the microphone stops working entirely.  Self-noise remains more or less constant if I recall correctly.

I thought I'd posted the table somewhere at TS but am unable to find it searching the site, web-wide, and this computer.  It's out there somewhere.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2019, 03:44:15 PM »
yeah i get mixed answer from DPA and lectrosonics about using 5V mics. some people find it ok, others find it objectionable, its application dependent

the 4063, while similar to 4061 in self-noise is midway between the 4060 and 4061 in max spl handling/dynamic range 

so its quite possible that a 4063 would be almost a tossup vs a 4061 run at 4V on noise/dynamic range
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:56:22 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline tim_k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2019, 05:04:58 PM »
I've recorded 17 shows with the 4061/SPDR combo so far including My Bloody Valentine, a band that is quite loud; I just checked it in RX and there were no detected clipped samples. I'm not sure if that's helpful information or not, but I'm happy with the results. Any compromise in sound (if it's actually there) is, for me, more than offset by the ease of getting in the door.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »
have you ever taken it thru a metal detector? i did 3 shows a few weeks back and only brought it in for 1 as the other 2 had walk-thrus. i used the d:vice instead

Offline tim_k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2019, 10:03:47 PM »
have you ever taken it thru a metal detector? i did 3 shows a few weeks back and only brought it in for 1 as the other 2 had walk-thrus. i used the d:vice instead
I haven't tried going through a metal detector with it on my body, but I've been to 2 shows with metal detectors, I simply put it in the basket with my wallet and phone  and no one looked twice.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2019, 12:18:48 AM »
ive thought about this, i need a sticker to cover up the giant "digital recorder" label

maybe the venue metal detectors are like TSA and weed. its 'contraband' but they dont care, they are too focused on weapons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com