Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just received the R-05  (Read 3390 times)

Offline phil_fernandez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Just received the R-05
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
So I finally accepted that my D-8 will not last forever, and decided to move to the next generation.  I opted for the Roland R-05 because it's new and I wanted to try out the latest device.  I do not plan on using the internal mics a whole lot.  I have Church 11s and 14s, along with the 9100 pre-amp.  I have read over the manual and have read many of the threads on this board.  While not many are using the 05, my guess is that there are similarities between the various units.
My main concern is with the proper settings for using the line in jack.  I usually use the 9100 at max gain (unless in a super loud scenario) as it rarely causes the clip light to glow.  Is there an input level I should start with?  Will using the max from the 9100 be too much?
My second level of questions center around the sampling rates and record modes.  It stands to reason that 24/96 would allow for the best sound, but is there that much of a difference from say 24/44.1 or 16/44.1?  I generally move my music onto CDs.
Lastly, I do not have a super nice computer.  I'll probably need to get some sort of external drive to store my files.  Is there certain software or programs I should load on to work with my files?
Thanks for any feedback!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Just received the R-05
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
So you've decided your D-8 won't last forever.. but so far it has... and you've grown tired of waiting for it to fail? ;)

As far as I've read, you are the first user here with an R-05.    In terms of levels, I think you need to test.  Setup a CD player, computer outs, whatever, and play it into your R05.  I'd choose something with intense bass - that's where these recordings tend to have issues.

You'll need to record that source at various "trim" settings.  At each setting, you will want to set the output level so the R05 is just below clipping.   Then listen to it and see what sounds good.  You may find that the bass is distorted at certain settings.

In general, you will probably want to record in 24 bits... For your average PA show, 44k or 48k is fine.  You might opt for 96k on unamplified sources.

Offline phil_fernandez

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
Thanks for the testing tips.  Regarding the D-8, the biggest reality is that my blank DAT source (Dale Pro - formerly Masterpiece AV) has cautioned me that they only have 35 tapes left.  So I bought the rest then ordered the R-05...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:14 PM »
can't answer any specific questions about the R-05
but
even if you eventually go to Cd you might want to  master at 24bits  rather than 16 bit - read up on it, there is value there.
I usually record 24 48 as this is one of the current DVD standards who knows what the future may bring
16 44.1  is ok 24 bits is better
if you'd rather not convert the 48  to 44.1 try 24 44.1
I know some swear by 24 88 as they say the math works better to go to 16 44.1
for some stellar shows you might want to go to 24/96 but you may run into the 2 gig file size limit of some software
at 24/48 you run about 1 gb per hour of music for 2 track stereo - roughly

good luck and have fun

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Johnny Thunder

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »
Hey Phil,

you've been given some excelent advice here on bit depth. I'll even go so far as to say, no matter the sample frequency, NEVER record at less than 24 bit! I generaly record at 24/48, but 24/44 is ok too. I use R-09's. (I have 5 of them) I may start moving to R-05's specificly for the ability at record at sample rates. I just need to wait until I find out how good the pre's in them are. What I might suggest is doing some tests with a lour stereo and compare the settings on the D-8 to the settings on the R-05 at say, -20dB. (Depending on how loud your stereo actualy is.) It's not 100% conclusive, but it's going to get you in the ballpark. Or, using the line out from your computer as was suggested and switching between decks to get an idea what's going to happen at different settings. I know the unity setting is quite different between the 09 and the 09HR, so there's every possibility they'll be different again with the advent of the 05.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more in this thread! Thanks for posting it.

-JT

Offline coggster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
Hi, ive just got the R-05....it seems ok, nice and small (great for smuggling into big gigs!)...one thing worries me though...i have to set the rec levels right down to 11 or 12 to avoid clipping recordings using external mics....but with modded wm61a's it needs to be right up to 40 or 50.....

anyway,

ive posted a clip from a small live club near where I live...heres a short WAV sample.....i was about 3 yards from the speakers....INTERNAL MICS used..

http://rapidshare.com/files/397908449/r-05_internal_mic_sample.WAV.html

clip has been normalised in Audition.

feedback and thoughts welcome!
Deano
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:10:49 PM by coggster »

Offline phil_fernandez

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »
So I've had a chance to try out the R-05.  As I was worried about not getting a good recording, I ran it out of my D-8 (line out via 1/8 inch cable).  I set it at 24/44.1.  I had to lower the input level pretty low to avoid clipping.  All in all, everything appears to have come out right.  I still have a couple more questions:

1) By running out of the D-8, am I losing any quality to the sound? (As opposed to going straight into the R-05)
2) My recording is one continuous file.  What program do I need to split tracks, convert for CD burning, etc?

Thanks!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »
So I've had a chance to try out the R-05.  As I was worried about not getting a good recording, I ran it out of my D-8 (line out via 1/8 inch cable).  I set it at 24/44.1.  I had to lower the input level pretty low to avoid clipping.  All in all, everything appears to have come out right.  I still have a couple more questions:

1) By running out of the D-8, am I losing any quality to the sound? (As opposed to going straight into the R-05)
2) My recording is one continuous file.  What program do I need to split tracks, convert for CD burning, etc?

Thanks!

Answers:

1. Not sure. What are you running in front of that. I would guess that the less equipment between your pre-amp and recorder the better.

2.  To split tracks: CD Wave (www.cdwave.com). Shareware. About $20. Super easy to use. Make sure you check "use alternate 24 bit format" when you save your split files.

My 24 bit process is:

1. Record audio
2. Transfer to computer.
3. Edit in Sound Forge. (fades, EQ)
4. Track in CD Wave
5. Save 24 bit files
6. Copy 24 bit files to another folder
7. Convert copied 24 bit files to 16/44.1 for CD burning
8. Convert 24bit and 16bit WAV files to FLAC with Traders Little Helper (Free download). Also create FFP files.
9. Create TXT file.
10. Drop all FLAC files into Foobar2000. Use Live Show Tagger plugin to tag files.
11. Create .torrent files with uTorrent for both filesets
12. Seed at appropriate tracker.
13. Archive untracked/uneditted master to FLAC.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com