Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack Problem: 0 byte file  (Read 24747 times)

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • nyctaper
MicroTrack Problem: 0 byte file
« on: November 06, 2005, 07:37:56 PM »
Ran the MT24/96 for two sets tonight.  First set wav file is 1 GB, all the data is there (with ridiculously low levels, but that's another topic--the useless level meters).  Second set ran exactly the same way, but the recording time ran out in the middle of the encore.  Fine.  The resulting wav file has 0 bytes on the MT, and on the harddrive.
Is there any data here that I can recover, or is this just another bug that is resulting in my losing an entire set of music? :'(

I regret having purchased this buggy piece of garbage.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: MicroTrack Problem: 0 byte file
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 11:21:17 PM »
Dan-
Your recording rig isn't mentioned in your post or signature. What's your setup? Were you recording via the digital optical in? What bit rate? What CF card are you using? Were you using the internal battery or an external source? What firmware do you have loaded? The answers to these questions can help people respond to help you.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 09:15:31 AM »
Dan-
Your recording rig isn't mentioned in your post or signature. What's your setup? Were you recording via the digital optical in? What bit rate? What CF card are you using? Were you using the internal battery or an external source? What firmware do you have loaded? The answers to these questions can help people respond to help you.
dB-

Core Sound Cardiods > 1/8" to 1/4" adapter > line-in setting (CSCs have a battery pack--battery power meter at half after 4 hours-fine).
16bit 44.1
Sandisc 2.0GB
Firmware 1.1.5 (latest beta)

I used this unit one week ago, with the 1/8" plug on mic in.  The recording was intact, but peak level distortion made about half the recording unlistenable.  Switched to 1/4" inputs with the adapter for this recording.

Basically, if you max out the recording time, you will lose the last wav file that was recorded.  That seems to be what happened, and also seems that after scanning the forum, this experience is not unique (I believe jcrab had the same problem).

In terms of the level meters, this unit is basically incapable of indicating appropriate levels, so that a pre-amp > digital in > MT  is the only way to guarantee levels will be listenable (not either microscopic on one hand or peak distorted on the other).  Pretty hard to stealth with a pre-amp.

So for me, the MT has become the most expensive walkman I've ever purchased.  Loaded some wav files onto the drive, packed the headphones, and now its a portable digital headset.

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 10:21:50 AM »
Pretty hard to stealth with a pre-amp.

really? I have stealthed my V3 before a few times.  I have seen people stealthing V2/AD2K combos.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »
Dan,
For any out of the ordinary conditions which might occur while recording to flash memory, you can try putting the media in a card reader and running chkdsk with the /f option. We do this to fixup pocket pc wav files also.

To do this go to the windows command prompt and type "chkdsk E: /f"  (where E: is the drive letter)

To get to the command prompt, Start->Run and enter "cmd" into the edit box. It will run cmd.exe
This will work on NT, Win2K, and XP. On Windows98 it is command.exe .

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:51:49 AM »
This was what I did.  I ran to the disc space to the end.  It was exactly the amount of recorded time reported when the MT was powered up at the outset, and again, was the disc space reported left at the power-up at the beginning of the second set.  When the drive was full, the MT stopped recording (no levels).  I powered-down the MT, and then unhooked all the cables--which included a battery-pack associated with the core sound mics.  I am absolutely certain that I powered down the MT first, because I wanted the back-light to be off as quickly as possible (stealthing). 
I believe that I probably should have depressed the menu selection and viewed the files before powering down.  Perhaps the last wav file did not save prior to my power-down.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:20:51 AM »
This was what I did.  I ran to the disc space to the end.  It was exactly the amount of recorded time reported when the MT was powered up at the outset, and again, was the disc space reported left at the power-up at the beginning of the second set.  When the drive was full, the MT stopped recording (no levels).  I powered-down the MT, and then unhooked all the cables--which included a battery-pack associated with the core sound mics.  I am absolutely certain that I powered down the MT first, because I wanted the back-light to be off as quickly as possible (stealthing). 
I believe that I probably should have depressed the menu selection and viewed the files before powering down.  Perhaps the last wav file did not save prior to my power-down.

did you power off without stopping the record process?

that could cause the problem as well

boogie

I accidently shut mine off while recording and this is exactly what happened. It saved the file with a length of 0.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »
Another note...
Even if the file can be made accessible with chkdsk /f , also the file wav header probably needs updating.

You can use this...
http://www.gidluckmastering.com/audiohck.zip
This will read your wav file and write out the same RIFF attributes as the original, plus correct the header counters.  You can then import the files into any windows audio application.

It is usually used to cut down the size of a file recorded larger than 2gb (you get two output files). On the pocket pc I allow files of up to 4gb in size to be recorded. I needed a way to split files afterwards.

Gordon

Offline gewwang

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 11:50:03 AM »
You can use this...
http://www.gidluckmastering.com/audiohck.zip
This will read your wav file and write out the same RIFF attributes as the original, plus correct the header counters.  You can then import the files into any windows audio application.

Are you saying I can run this app on my 0 length wav file and save the contents using wavelab?

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:19:27 PM »
Not necessarily. Just if chkdsk /f recovers the file. If pcm data is actually in the file, then the application should be able to restore the wav file integrity.  It will keep the wav header attributes, skip any extraneous chunks and skip to the data chunk and write that out to a new file.

Gordon

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 06:06:54 PM »

I accidently shut mine off while recording and this is exactly what happened. It saved the file with a length of 0.

hey george, on the CF card with the 0 length file is the space on the card usable, meaning does windows show the space that was used to record the show as being available or is the available space less by the amount of data written during the record session, i know this is confusing but the reason i am asking is that on my 0 length file it still used the space on the CF card so I am thinking the data is there but I cant figure out how to get it to it, guess i will try the chkdsk thing...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 08:21:54 AM »
I have the same problem as jcrab66:

It is still holding the space on the microdrive and when I open in CEP2 it shows the proper lenght (approx. 1hr 50min).

I did the chkdsk with /f but it is still unplayable...I downloaded a bunch of file restoration software (demo versions) and am unsure if those will repair the file.

what do you all recommend?  Is this file salvageable?

I attribute this to a mix of bugs and operator error.  The unit froze when reaching the 2hr limit (24/48 spdif from UA-5) and I was trying to begin a new file and the machine would not respond to anything (on/off, rec, etc.).  I pulled the microdrive out of the machine to re-boot and nothing changed.  I think the data was recorded but not "finalized"...however, I'm a complete newb to these types of things...HELP!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 09:31:59 AM »
It is still holding the space on the microdrive and when I open in CEP2 it shows the proper lenght (approx. 1hr 50min).

I did the chkdsk with /f but it is still unplayable...I downloaded a bunch of file restoration software (demo versions) and am unsure if those will repair the file.

Sorry if you've already tried this, but I wasn't sure from your comments above:  have you tried opening it in CEP as a RAW file and then re-saving as WAV?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 09:47:26 AM »
I've tried opening as 24/48 file but it comes up as static or "white noise" or something...I'll try other options tonight.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »
Samples must be correctly aligned into frames or 24-bit samples can end up sounding like white noise.

There are six bytes per stereo frame, so six possibilities exist ---one of which is correct, one of which will give you swapped channels.

Audiohack will scan to the data chunk and then begin writing it, so it should maintain proper framing. You can alternatively import into Samplitude 7 using the import as raw and hit the "offset" checkbox to tell it where the data begins. Usually byte 45 in most files unless there are extraneous chunks.

There are likely ways to do this in CoolEdit as Brian mentioned (or Adobe Audition) by importing the data as raw and then writing it out.

Audiohack will maintain the frame integrity and also if the file exceeds 2gb, the break to the second file will also be on a frame boundary. I had to have something to do this as I allowed recordings to exceed 2gb on windows CE.

Gordon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com