Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transition from live DAT  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Transition from live DAT
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
Doug is very polar here.  Seems if you have done business with him either you love him and have had no problem or you hate him from some problem you have had with him.  Not a whole lot of neutral ground.   

I'd guess that it is more that people who are neutral don't want to wade into this quagmire.  I'm pretty neutral on Doug -- I don't find him some sort of god, I think that he is a vendor and as such he has his own biases and I consider them when I'm weighing his opinion, etc; at the same time, I've purchased gear from him and don't see any reason not to, and I've got Oade performance modded equipment and may well get more in the future.

Thought I'd just stick that in there -- there are those of us occupying the middle ground in this whole debate.  That said, I'm kind of cringing inside if this turns into one of those lengthy Oade debates and I keep getting notifications to this thread.  Guess I'll have to learn about those notification options....

As to the OP's query:  I think that in the past you didn't really need a separate preamp or A/D, people just sometimes/often wanted them for that extra bit of quality.  Same goes now.  Lots of options if you don't want to have separate outboard stuff, lots of options if you do. 

Actually, lots and lots and lots of options now as compared to before.  Probably 10 or more entries in the very small handheld recorders (which will need an external preamp or phantom supply if you want to use condensor mics), another half dozen or more of all in one 2ch recorders, then 4ch recorders, options for performance modded gear, etc.  Choice is great, but I'd imagine somewhat overwhelming if you'r ejust getting started or getting back into the game.  I'd guess best to try to figure out a budget, figure out if you lean towards an all-in-one solution or if you want separates, figure out if you want open gear and/or stealth gear, and then start reading through ts.com and asking your friends for their opinions.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com