Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR-2 users?  (Read 29200 times)

Offline Marc Nutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
Re:Fostex FR-2 users?
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2004, 01:06:57 AM »
SNIP
Wavelab recognized the file as 16bit 0Khz, strange.  I could listen to the recording fine through
my Home system (24/192 sp/dif input compatable) but could
not get it onto the computer.  Any thoughts?

callery

Hi John,

I tried getting a good answer from Fostex and this and never felt comfortable. Doesn't the FR-2 record in .bwf format?  I haven't seen any provisions for this inside Wavelab.  Fostex indicated the any .wav editor should just open it without trouble. What file extension shows up when you dump the file to your computer?

If you aren't familiar with Masaki at Fostex, drop me an email and I'll forward his email address to you.  I think we should push this issue further with them. I'd be glad to participate.

Marc

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2004, 02:44:47 PM »
Marc,

The file shows up as a .wav file.  I may have been using my USB
1.0 not 2.0 hub.  BUT, this shouldn't matter since it is a file that
is being transferred and not a direct capture.  I'll record
something tonight at 24/96 and try to transfer it.

I have emailed Masaki a few times and got relitively good responses,
He even emailed the engineers in Japan for me on an internal gain question.

callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2004, 03:41:30 PM »
since it is a file that

Does the FR-2 allow you to run a live stream from the deck to your workstation via USB as it is sampled?  
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2004, 08:13:41 AM »
Marc,

The file shows up as a .wav file.  I may have been using my USB
1.0 not 2.0 hub.  BUT, this shouldn't matter since it is a file that

I have emailed Masaki a few times and got relitively good responses,
He even emailed the engineers in Japan for me on an internal gain question.

callery

Hi Callery (and All),

I totally agree.  We used Jason Brantley's 2.0 based hard drive on my computer with a 1.0 port and there weren't any problems goind either direction with 24/96 files.  It took a long time, but that would be expected.

How did your tests go?

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2004, 08:53:34 PM »
Hi Callery and All,

I spoke with Masaki today about this and he only have the following suggestions:

The FR-2 can record many sampling rates, bit length, and track structures (ie. mono, stereo, ???).  This is critical!!!
Be sure these match between the FR-2 and the audio software.

Most of this sounds pretty basic but is there any chance you are recording as a mono file and trying to open in stereo of something like that?

He also indicated the their experience suggest that Wavelab is "very forgiving."

I hope this helps.

Marc

BobW

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2004, 10:01:30 PM »
Hey -

I had a good listen to the Galactic show.
My jury's out on the M248, but it was definitely "all there."
Couldn't tell definitively which was the A/D and which was the Pre, but I think that I can guess.

The M248 is a bit full and warm, isn't it ?

Loved hearing the new stuff from Galactic. I'm sure that I'll listen to this show at least two more times this week.

Thanks !

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2004, 10:25:14 PM »
Bob, what did you mean by "all there"?  What did you think of the Low end on the tape? I like it compared to the Minime low end.

I have never thought of the m248 as full or warm, that would be more the oade m148. The m248 has always been a bit more on the bright side.  But the tape is definitly warm sounding.   I think alot of the warmth is from the schoeps, I have always thought that they were a bit warm sounding.  So I guess that leaves the a/d.......it must be a bit onthe warm fuzzy side.  Of the few shows I have used the FR2 for I have thought the a/d in it was a warm ,kinda smooth sound , and this show helped me be convinced of this.   I did used the big ass Shure windscreens and this probably helped dampen the highs a bit.  I'm going to do a minime/FR2 a/d comp next
week, and report back.
If anyone cares, I had the gain on the m248 a little past half way(not sure how much in dB that would be) and on the FR2 ran LineIn, and had the top panel trim at 3/4 open(~ -26dB) and the front panel level knob @ 7
(or 0dB gain) .

callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

BobW

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2004, 10:48:04 PM »
[UPDATE]  I've been giving this disk a workout.
The topend is down by about 3db, but that may be an advantage. Plenty of cymbals. The bottom is warm. tight, and doesn't rumble.
Mids, vocals, and sax sound so vibrant and clear, yet not strident. (happy tears forming in the corners of my eyes)
Overall one heck of a recording ! I want to hear more M248 / Schoeps recordings. Very easy to listen to.  Can't see why the M248 isn't Doug's "favorite child" Gain adjustment is nice.
Thanks again  
[/UPDATE]

Still fiddling with levels and trying it on different systems to see what I hear.
It's not easy for me as the mics aren't as familiar to me as MBHO603as or BK4022s. I also don't know the m248 at all.

What I mean by "all there" is the recording is very good, very listenable, and no thing missing that can't be compensated for.
I'm still trying to suss out the different pieces from the FR-2, but overall I do like it. At different levels, I'm hearing very slightly different tonal balance.
Don't know if it's my ears, the system, or the m248. Won't say until the weather dries up and my ears stabilize.

I may get an FR-2and an MP-2 to fiddle with, but that tarnishes the all in one chalice.  Been thinking about the raw SD-722 alot.

Definitely want to hear the MiniME comp !
Thanks for helping us get a bead on this new toy.
+T for the efforts.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 11:03:57 PM by BobW »

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2004, 09:19:34 AM »
jacallery wrote: I'm going to do a minime/FR2 a/d comp next week, and report back.

Anyone care to comment about their recent experiences with the FR-2?  

The SD 722 list price is now almost double the cost of the FR-2.  Ouch!
--Flintstone

BobW

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2004, 10:27:54 AM »
If you stop by the Oade Board, Doug has opened up the FR-2 and found flaw with the pre-amp's signal handling, dynamic range, and the phantom power supply (says it's noisey and stays on with line-in).

Sound's like he's developing future business.   ;D

Now add in a mod from Doug and there may be an all-in-one box to compete with the SD722.  

My greatest concern about the SD722 is that it is an all-in-one solution.
If something fries, the entire unit is a possible loss.
Ditto(especially) for a modded FR-2
Modularity offers the possiblility of lower cost to maintain/repair.

So the question of the moment is, "is line-in a viable solution ?"
The Galactic show sounds great, I'd love to hear a V2>>FR-2 lineage with a pair of DPA4022s or TLs or MBHO603As.

Marc N. - Are you up to the challenge ? Or would you know someone who is ?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 11:58:36 PM by BobW »

BobW

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2004, 10:43:54 AM »
Doug Oade has a working, MOD Fostex FR-2 and says that he'll be posting samples shortly.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2004, 01:56:55 AM »
Doug Oade has a working, MOD Fostex FR-2 and says that he'll be posting samples shortly.

Yeah, but can he BEAT B&H's price for it...  <BFG>...

Long time no see kiddies!

Been on the photo boards playing with my new Canon 1D MarkII.

Figgered I'd stop in and wave.  I had a feeling when I talked to Jim (and posted on this thread) that Doug had taken an interest in opening one of these suckers up.  I dropped him a note after Stu's apparant disappointment.  The limiting factor here is still going to be the media.  If you still have to run a V2 or V3 in front of it, that almost defeats the purpose of an "all-in-one" style deck.  If Doug can mod the pre to the point where it's "worthy" for a few buckeroo's on top of Deck price - THAT might be something to consider.

Cheers,

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

BobW

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2004, 12:00:40 AM »
Ooooh,  a  1D MkII. so nice.
Good luck with it !  Been messing with my bud's D-100 and drooling a lot lately.  The film scanner is the only thing keeping me from taking a deeper plunge than my little Dimage point and shoot digi.

+T for the new toys !  Hey, when do you go "T-Positive ?"

But you still can't hijack my FR-2 thread !   :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:02:29 AM by BobW »

BobW

Re: Fostex FR-2 users?
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2004, 01:41:53 PM »
I took the plunge and ordered a T-Mod FR-2 from Doug Oade.
As soon as I have it, I'll be testing it and posting shows.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: Fostex FR-2 users?
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2004, 10:51:18 PM »
look forward to hearing your report. If doug can mod these to sound sweet and they work well, I might be more interested in that than the SD unit.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.602 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com