Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HI-MD Recorders  (Read 6989 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: HI-MD Recorders
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 02:20:25 AM »
You also only get to use the USB upload once, then the disc is tagged as uploaded and you cannot re-upload the disc. Using Total Recorder in the same manner as above is the workaround if need be.

NOT ANYMORE. THE LATEST VERSION OF SS (3.2) LETS YOU UPLOAD UNLIMITED # OF TIMES.
Newest version of Sonic Stage will automatically convert .oma files to PCM after they've been uploaded. I always do that now to save the headache of the .oma DRM issue..
CURRESNT SS 3.1 AND 3.2 CONVERT AUTOMATICALLY TO PCM.

ALSO, SLOWEST UPLOAD TIME IS 2:1.
One solution is HiSP w/MD or HiMD and you get 2 hours 20 minutes w/std MD or close to 8 hours w/Hi-MD running HiSP record mode and I cannot tell a distinct difference between the two and it's much less stressful to not have to worry about the disc flip..
INDEED, I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE EITHER.

I GO LINE IN WITH BATTERY BOX - NEVER CLIPS.

SS 3.1 & 3.2 SOLVED THE BUGS OF EARLIER VERSIONS. I HAVE BEEN USING THE MZ-RH10 SINCE IT CAME OUT - IT'S A TREASURE. THE PRE-AMP IS VERY QUIET. TONIGHT I LEFT THE AGC ON BY MISTAKE FOR PART OF THE PERFORMANCE AND WAS SURPRISED WITH THE RESULTS - EVEN THE AGC (WHICH I DON'T USE, OF COURSE), IS NOT WHAT YOU'D EXPECT.

NOAM

Offline Rob D

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: HI-MD Recorders- Mic Pre Low Noise Performance
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 02:47:18 AM »
Hi--
Seems the noise performance of the HiMD's internal mic preamp is remarkaby good. Here's a quicktime movie test comparing a pair of 6dB(A) self noise Rode NT1As mics first into a Sound Devices 722 recorder and then through Rolls PB224 Phantom Power Supply-> Sony NH900 HiMD mic input. 

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/RollsPB224-%3eHiMDMicPreAIF.mov

Reports indicate that all of the HiMD recorders made thus far by Sony offer this  performance, Those who record in quiet locations will appreciate its gain of nearly 75dB. The Art Phantom II Portable Phantom Power Supply also seems to be compatible with the HiMD mic pre, but not all phantom units we tested are.

A 2 XLR3F -> 3.5mm stereo miniplug adapter cable  is needed to get from the phantom xlr outputs to the MiMD mic in. The Rolls is about $70 and operates on 2- 9 volt batteries. Folks in Europe can find the Art in the UK but the Rolls is hard to find outside of the US. I would apprecate hearing from people with accounts good or bad. Rob Danielson 

Rob Danielson is a professor in the film department at
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.  Rob needs high quality,
audio recording equipment for student projects, and the
gear has to fit under a limited University budget. 

Recently, Rob has found that if you use a $60 Rolls pre-amp
to power the microphone, you get markedly better
recordings with the Sony Hi-MD machine.  The Rolls
pre-amp is not much bigger than a Hi-MD recorder,
and runs on 9 volt battery.  It's an inexpensive setup
that yields good quality results.

Contact Rob by email at "type at uwm dot edu"

Flintstone

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »
Quote from: noam
TONIGHT I LEFT THE AGC ON BY MISTAKE FOR PART OF THE PERFORMANCE AND WAS SURPRISED WITH THE RESULTS - EVEN THE AGC (WHICH I DON'T USE, OF COURSE), IS NOT WHAT YOU'D EXPECT.

I'd agree.  Got showered in beer & almost knocked down right at the start of a show, ended up with my Sony MZ-NH1 being off.  The artist was literally walking toward the stage, so I just had to start it.  Recorded with AGC in Hi-SP, came out excellent.  Wouldn't & don't use it otherwise, but nice to know accidently relying on it won't result in a lousy recording.

Nice to know SS now allows repeated uploads.  Haven't needed it yet, but ya never know.  Thanks for the info.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 12:49:34 AM »
I've been taping with MD for a few years and can notice a difference in pre-recorded music quality over CD.   I'd challenge most to notice a difference in Hi-SP vs any uncompressed format in a blind test. 

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 03:35:25 PM »
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L --> PA-6LC2 --> Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD (Line-In)

at 30/30 I'm only getting 4 bars.  :( The batt box I have only takes one AA and I am using Sony rechargables. Someone suggested using an alkaline AA instead of a rechargable to see if that helps. I make sure the batteries (set of two) are charged before a show and I only need one for the batt box and I make sure I'm in the manaual recording setting. I did buy some "Duracell Ultra" AAs that are made to give juice to digital cameras (so are these sony rechargables) thinking they might help but haven't tried them yet since I punked out on going to Sleepytime last night. Any help is appreciated.

John
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
I don't know why that may be unless the SS mics are like CSB's. The CSB's don't work too well line in since they aren't sensitive mics, but they do get better levels whilst ran mic in.

If you don't want to run mic-in on the HiMD, my suggestion would be to get a pre for you SS mics, like and AD20, I ran my old CSB's into for a while with good results.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 04:03:18 PM »
I doubt that using a different battery will boost your signal that much since you are using the low sensitivity mics.  I'd use mic-in if that particular MD has one, otherwise you will probably need to get a pre-amp to help your situation.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:09:24 PM by madman »

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 07:21:20 PM »
thanks madman.

edit: any cons to using the mic-in on this particular deck with these mics?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:28:52 PM by emptyzero »

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 07:43:36 PM »
Mic-in is going to use the deck's pre-amp, which isn't really that great on most MD decks.  It will work for now, but when you are itching for an upgrade later, you may want to look into an external pre-amp so you can run line in.  Sonic studios may sell some, but their webpage is so cluttered I can't tell you for sure  :)

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 11:24:18 AM »
ahh yeah, I was aware of Sony MD pre-amps being crap...been trying to avoid it but you are right it would yeild higher levels. so true about the sonics studios website :) thanks again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com