Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Did I kill one of my mics? (Beyer CK930)  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Did I kill one of my mics? (Beyer CK930)
« on: October 31, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
Set up for Ween last night and noticed one cap was getting levels WAY lower than the other. Did some troubleshooting. Swapped cap from one cable to the other. Changed batteries in everything. One cap was the issue.

I'm running the CK930's > Naiant IPA so there is no off switch to turn of the phantom. I'm thinking that may have killed it since you can't switch off the phantom before disconnecting the mic.

Anything else I can do besides send it back for repair...and if so any idea what kind of $$ I'm looking at to get it repaired?

I'll post a sample in a bit. I ended up pasting the good channel over the bad one and salvaged the night, but definitely sucks on the first night of a 3 night run. Going to run my DPA4080's instead tonight.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Did I kill one of my mics? (Beyer CK930)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
I'm running the CK930's > Naiant IPA so there is no off switch to turn of the phantom. I'm thinking that may have killed it since you can't switch off the phantom before disconnecting the mic.

But you were already having the problem before you swapped the caps right?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
Problem appeared when I hooked everything up. Swapping the caps (Left and right) was to figure out if it was the cap, cable, IPA or input on the recorder (even swapped everything from CH1/2 to 3/4 on the Mixpre-6).

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »
> I'm thinking that may have killed it since you can't switch off the phantom before disconnecting the mic.

You can't have damaged the capsule that way. A capsule is just an air capacitor set in a specialized, acoustic "mini-environment".

Powering down before you disconnect a mike isn't to protect the mike; it's to protect all the other equipment from the spikes and thumps that can be generated--especially the power amps and loudspeakers in a P.A. system. If you have headphones on, it will help protect your ears as well.

So stop blaming yourself, OK?

--best regards

P.S.: BeyerDynamic US service was first-rate the last time I had any dealings with them, but it's been a decade or more. Please let us know how things go from here on.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:50:34 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com