Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom & Tascam Live Mixer/Recorder Units (any experience out there?)  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Zoom & Tascam Live Mixer/Recorder Units (any experience out there?)
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2023, 09:32:54 AM »
Legacy F8 has a maximum per/channel input delay of 30ms. Not sure if the current F8Npro is the same.

A less than ideal solution, but possible to loop aux out into another pair of inputs to add an additional 30ms, at the cost of the additional A/D/A conversion, patch cable, and the loss of two of the eight inputs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2023, 10:43:36 AM »
Legacy F8 has a maximum per/channel input delay of 30ms. Not sure if the current F8Npro is the same.

A less than ideal solution, but possible to loop aux out into another pair of inputs to add an additional 30ms, at the cost of the additional A/D/A conversion, patch cable, and the loss of two of the eight inputs.
Apparently the F8Npro has the same input delay spec per the Factory Sound website that came up in my online search.

I appreciate your thoughts on a potential workaround, but I'm really trying to keep all of this as simple as possible, and that solution feels like a bit too much. I find it both frustrating and interesting that both the Zoom F8 series, the F6 and at least some of SD MixPre recorders have a maximum 30ms delay.

Now if I could only find a way to get my FOH mics positioned 50% closer to the PA, I'd be golden. But that's not super likely in 2 of the 4 situations I encounter.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 01:00:40 PM »

Apparently the F8Npro has the same input delay spec per the Factory Sound website that came up in my online search.

I appreciate your thoughts on a potential workaround, but I'm really trying to keep all of this as simple as possible, and that solution feels like a bit too much. I find it both frustrating and interesting that both the Zoom F8 series, the F6 and at least some of SD MixPre recorders have a maximum 30ms delay.

Now if I could only find a way to get my FOH mics positioned 50% closer to the PA, I'd be golden. But that's not super likely in 2 of the 4 situations I encounter.

Always been pining for a 6-channel machine, with at least 100mS delay.  Manufacturers are missing the boat.

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 09:06:43 PM »
You can always add as much delay as you want in post.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 09:13:41 PM »

I was referring to having enough delay for a live matrix, like what billydee is asking for.  30 mS isn't enough for our use.

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 10:13:22 PM »

I was referring to having enough delay for a live matrix, like what billydee is asking for.  30 mS isn't enough for our use.

I had missed the live streaming part of this.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 08:16:17 PM »
I decided to grab the Zoom LiveTrak L12 L8 in spite of the input delay limitation. I feel I can make this unit work well for me when recording in an official capacity. That is, after I learn how to use it.  ;D
Thanks mepaca and everyone else for chiming in with their thoughts and advice.
Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 06:20:21 PM by billydee »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 08:20:29 PM »
I decided to grab the Zoom LiveTrak L12 in spite of the input delay limitation. I feel I can make this unit work well for me when recording in an official capacity. That is, after I learn how to use it.  ;D
Wish me luck!
gear is fun! You can always get a standalone outboard delay unit!

:guitarist:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
I decided to grab the Zoom LiveTrak L12 in spite of the input delay limitation. I feel I can make this unit work well for me when recording in an official capacity. That is, after I learn how to use it.  ;D
Wish me luck!
gear is fun! You can always get a standalone outboard delay unit!

:guitarist:

Here's the lowest-priced unit I found that could be portable, any more of them out there?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1721381-REG/vanco_pa_ads1_audio_delay_synchronizer.html/overview

20-340mS delay in 20mS steps, not too optimal for our use....bah

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2023, 10:39:33 PM »
I was thinking more like a 19" rack unit.
Here's a used TC multi-effects processor, with stereo XLR in and out... $175 but shipping is $40 from florida USA
https://reverb.com/item/66077380-tc-electronic-m-one-xl-24-bit-dual-engine-effects-processor?
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CJT
I would have thought that those old things would be cheaper now, but even a Yamaha SPX-90 goes for money?

Anyone got old PA gear sitting around? I guess it held its value!?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:41:04 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com