Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are sub-cards pretty much exclusive for FOB application?  (Read 6233 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Are sub-cards pretty much exclusive for FOB application?
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
     I am planning to split my U89's on a 24" bar @ MSG for Baker's dozen...was considering trying sub card...curious on opinions..

Walt
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Are sub-cards pretty much exclusive for FOB application?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
     I am planning to split my U89's on a 24" bar @ MSG for Baker's dozen...was considering trying sub card...curious on opinions..
I have a set of Neumann KM143's, but have only used them either on stage (near coincident or split) or very close to the stage.
When I first split them apart, they got very different signals which was a little hard to control in the mix, my new rule of thumb for that is to center them on the loudest acoustic object on stage, typically the drum set.

Here's a link to my LMA posts with the KM143's, it's got a special character so I can't make it behave as a hyperlink here:
Code: [Select]
https://archive.org/details/@morst?&and[]=km143
I checked out the Neumann recording angle finder in their iPhone "Recording..." app,  and it showed that the sub cards would be good angled outward at about 170 degrees!?!

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

(...shall we start a Team SubCards thread? Is this it? Have I tried searching? Have you tried turning it off and back on again? Is this thing on?)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
The Charleston branch of Team Dirty South runs Peluso sub cards in all sorts of situations, including wide split from the section. I'm sure you'll find a bunch on the archive.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
To each his own, but I find splitting mics to be completely asininea little silly, both in terms of setup hassle and the actual results (yes, I've heard many Bernstein sources and the Peluso Dirty South sources). No disrespect to those involved, to each his/her own, etc., but I just don't get it. It creates a huge "hole" in the middle of the recording.

For your purpose, I wouldn't run subcards from there, split or no. I'm attending a few of the shows myself, and was considering just running 22s once as a second rig just for my amusement, but I don't think that will sound good (and they aren't even "subcards" technically). Based on what I've heard from the first couple nights, I think good old fashioned cardiods are the answer for Phish at MSG.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:00:12 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
I have liked the card pulls I've heard so far...although I tend to like Hypers in a big room like that...
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »

I have run a couple of different subcard caps in a lot of different scenarios. I think the best were up close and outdoors from a distance. I did get a surprisingly good pull at the Riverside theatre in Milwaukee for Panic many years back using Neumann 143s but we were FOB on Zmans stand... so just about as close as you can get without having the line array sound fly right over you.

I would do it for shits and giggles at a well attended show like Phish MSG just to see.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline gratefulbrad

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Denali - May 23, 2019!
    • db.etree.org/gratefulbrad
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
I plan on running a set of 143's (NOS) on nights 7-9 Baker's.  I say try it out.  What else do you plan on running?
http://db.etree.org/gratefulbrad
https://www.rmiguides.com
https://americanalpineclub.org

Mics: JW mod AKG c460b x2
      AKG c460b x4
      AKG c480b x2
      AKG ck1x x2
      AKG ck2x x2
      AKG ck61 x5 / ck62 x3 / ck63 x2   
      AKG mk46 Active Cables x2
      Naiant PFA > AKG Actives x4
      Neumann KM100 > LC3 > AK43  

Decks: OCM Marantz PMD661
       T-Mod Tascam HD-P2
       Tascam DR680 MKii
       SD744t SSD

Pre's Etc: Grace Lunatec V3
           Core Sound MIC2496
           SD442

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »
Inside probably. Outside no.
Although using them in combination with other mics throws all bets out the window.

Not sure I'd run them at MSG unless doing so in combination with other mics, or just for fun to see if it worked.  If I was going to try it I'd run them as spaced omnis PAS, leveraging their subcardiod pattern to increase direct-sound pickup over what I could get from omnis, with minimal angle between them for PAS you need sufficient yet not excessive spacing to get decent ambient stereoness.

The other way to use them is to leverage their subcardioid pattern by pointing them very widely apart so as not to have to space them quite as far apart from each other for good stereo, but that would typically be more appropriate outdoors where room reverberace isn't an issue.  I wouldn't do that inside MSG if using them as a single pair.

It creates a huge "hole" in the middle of the recording.

Then space them less far apart, although that compromises other desirable aspects.  Better, fill the hole and increase direct sound pickup by using a third, directional microphone in the center.   Even better, use an X/Y or M/S pair in the center which will provide sharp center imaging to fill the hole.  In either case, the hole becomes a feature rather than being a bug. 

I think good old fashioned cardiods are the answer for Phish at MSG.
I think this is probably right.

If it helps, depending on the application I think of sub-cardioids as being either sort-of-directional-omnis, or alternatively as cardioids with extended bass-response and better far-off-axis response.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
having run Cards and Hypers @ MSG I would advise getting as directional as possible, i.e. shotguns or Hypers as you are pretty far back there at the base of SEC 2

that being said, I've heard really good Cardioid tapes made there, so YMMV
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
Related: All three of noahbickhart's sources are up on etree - MK4V, MK41V and MK22. So we can all go and listen for ourselves. My money would normally be on the MK41V for the earlier reasons stated, but given how the pulls have sounded so far I'm thinking maybe the cards take it...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
IMO 4V's always take it  ;D  YMMV. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
I'm usually convinced that my mk22 pulls sound the best from msg, at least on a good stereo. For earbuds or a in the car the mk41v is best.

But that's why I'm using three pairs. Listen for yourself!!!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »

Then space them less far apart, although that compromises other desirable aspects.  Better, fill the hole and increase direct sound pickup by using a third, directional microphone in the center.   Even better, use an X/Y or M/S pair in the center which will provide sharp center imaging to fill the hole.  In either case, the hole becomes a feature rather than being a bug. 
Even better still, if available, use a SBD feed!?  Those suckers usually have a big STACK of mono signal in the center!

:bigsmile:

Yeah, I would not be inclined to run a subcard pair as the only source, if I could help it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Even better still, if available, use a SBD feed!?  Those suckers usually have a big STACK of mono signal in the center!

:bigsmile:

Yeah, I would not be inclined to run a subcard pair as the only source, if I could help it.

Spot on.  In some ways, the hypercard center mic I use is intended to emulate what a SBD feed does in providing a sufficiently clear, solid center.

Optimal choice of pattern for a straight stereo pair will always depend on the situation and the room.
I don't own any subcards, but if I did I suspect they might be my go to outdoors for a straight stereo pair.
Diggin' Noah's subcard MSG pulls. No hole in that jam-filled doughnut.
Great to be able to choose between several recordings using different patterns after the fact like that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
My tapes sound good as a direct result of everything I've learned here, much from gutbucket, about the stereophonic zoom.

I took good pictures at Nye and had the SRS bar made for that spot!!!!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com