Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

R500 use with mics

(1/2) > >>

hoyt:
Any stories on what mics you've run straight into the Sony R500?  My father just hooked up his shitty ass old AKG D1000Es to it and got almost no sound through.  I convinced him long ago that he needed new mics, but I don't think he believed me until now.   :)

Thanks for the advice,

--hoyt

goose:
hoyt, i don't think a sony r500 dat deck can take a mic level signal and give good levels.  I don't think which mic you use matters - you won't get much of a signal.  The mic level needs to be boosted to line level (preamp or transformers) in order to get correct levels.  R500s are right out home (so to speak) hooked to a soundboard, which puts out a line level.

That's the way I see it - maybe I am missing something?  Does it have mic inputs?  I didn't think it did.  

hoyt:

--- Quote from: goose on January 26, 2004, 05:12:05 PM ---hoyt, i don't think a sony r500 dat deck can take a mic level signal and give good levels.  I don't think which mic you use matters - you won't get much of a signal.  The mic level needs to be boosted to line level (preamp or transformers) in order to get correct levels.  R500s are right out home (so to speak) hooked to a soundboard, which puts out a line level.

That's the way I see it - maybe I am missing something?  Does it have mic inputs?  I didn't think it did.  

--- End quote ---

Hmm, I don't know.  He's in Charlotte, and I'm in KC so I can't actually see the unit.  I assumed that it would be able to take the mic level signal, but maybe it's just a line in.  That would really stink, I don't know if he's going to like me when I tell him he needs a preamp too :)

--hoyt

goose:
you would think it could take mic level because it has xlr connectors on the back - but those are what studio machines have for analog connectors (rather than, or in addition to, RCA connectors) and AES digital connectors - so, easy mistake

hoyt:

--- Quote from: goose on January 26, 2004, 05:43:51 PM ---you would think it could take mic level because it has xlr connectors on the back - but those are what studio machines have for analog connectors (rather than, or in addition to, RCA connectors) and AES digital connectors - so, easy mistake

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's just what I assumed.  Guess I'll be looking into line transformers for him now.  Thanks for the suggestions +t!

--hoyt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version