Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY VU meters for any source ...  (Read 37598 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re:DIY VU meters for any source ...
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 12:31:50 PM »
the output of the JB3 only barely makes the first light or two light up.

Which output?  Line level?  Were you testing at your house in front of a stereo or at a show?  Was the UA-5 (if that's what you have for a pre) showing any clip indicator during the test (-3db)?

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2004, 04:04:57 PM »
I tried both line out and headphone out (cranked), just playing a recording I made on the JB3 that touches 0 dB in a spot or two.

No UA-5, I have an AD-20.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »
here is a premade unit w/ 10 lights, internal 9v batery, easy calibration, and under $80  Looks like it might do the trick!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3808814331&category=3319&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Matt
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 10:48:00 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2004, 11:02:30 AM »
Yep, that is the one I have seen on various websites for ~$110 as was hoping to try to mimic.   But it looks like it may be an only option at this point without too much hassle and that is a pretty good deal on them.   If you look at completed items you can probably get away with bidding the minimum price and not get outbid(none have closed for more than $69) assuming we don't get in bidding wars with each other ;p
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2004, 11:04:42 AM »
here is another one from the same manufacturer w/ headphone amp.
http://www.oakwoodbroadcast.com/meters/beachtek/svu2.htm
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2004, 11:09:40 AM »
Doh,
I just looked at a closer up picture and one drawback is that it only steps up in steps of 3 db....ideally would want steps of 1 when near 0.   Dang I think I would have ordered one if it was like that.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2004, 11:50:45 AM »
Well... I'm not sure I'm too offended with the 3 db steps, especially if I can get a better headphone amp than the ua-5 out of the deal.  Does anyone know what the wattage is on the ua-5 headphone amp?  This unit svu-2 is 250 mwatt
Matt

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2004, 02:23:29 AM »
my svu-1 was ~60 on ebay.  Once i got it dialed in after 3-4 hours of messing w/ levels on the ua5 and watching jb3 levels and then to sound forge for "real" levels i trust it more than the jb3 levels.  Only draw back is the LED's should have a capicitor behind them or somethin so they aren't as "blinky".... i want smoother led representation.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2004, 11:42:53 PM »
Once i got it dialed in after 3-4 hours of messing w/ levels on the ua5 and watching jb3 levels and then to sound forge for "real" levels i trust it more than the jb3 levels.  

were you running it off the jb3 or the ua-5?  Headphone, or line out?

Matt

Offline fozzy

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2004, 11:31:52 PM »
I run mine rca-out off the UA-5 w/ a Y-splitter one to the svu-1 and the other w/ some female barrel adapters incase of patcher.  I leave all of my cables plugged into the ua-5 except the batteries and xlr's.  I have tested w/ it into the JB3 line out which also works the same but i like having only the right-angle opti cable into it.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »
I have tested w/ it into the JB3 line out which also works the same but i like having only the right-angle opti cable into it.

Is there any reason for this?  Maybe it just works better for your bag?  I will have mine (svu-2)  in a couple more days, and I'll do some testing myself.  Thats a good Idea to go back to the software to 2x check your settings.  Did you just look for peak level under 100 when you were running at your "max"?  Did you use music or pink noise?
Matt

Offline fozzy

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2004, 12:42:35 PM »
Yea both of my bags work better w/ only the opti cable in the JB3.  I really just took notes of what i did and had separate tracks after each setting adjustment.  Looked at peaks and did some quick listening.  I have the SVU dialed in so the lower red is the hard limit.  Anytime it lites up red it clips in soundforge.  In my testing i have found that i trust the JB3 vu's less that the svu.  

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2004, 01:23:01 PM »
Hey Matt, please do let us know how you do on your testing, I'm anxious to hear your results.  I'd love for something like this to work out, it would make setting levels on the UA-5 so much easier.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Keith

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2004, 06:29:52 PM »
I will for sure.  I'm expecting it before the weekend, and I have the weekend off.  Assuming mic stand girl (the gf) doesn't plan my whole weekend for me, I'll have lots of time to play.
Matt

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2004, 07:33:40 PM »
Ok, started looking into this for no particular reason.  The kit says it uses a (National Semiconductor) LM3916.  So I looked up that part.  It turns out you can run this to have a bar display or a dot display (dot display being like the Lunatec V3).  The kit says that you can choose between bar and dot.  If you run it as dot (pin 9 on the LM3916 left unconnected), you will not only have a display that mimics the cool V3 display, you will save quite a bit on power.  Each LED will probably be drawing 20-30mA of juice, so limiting to 2 LEDs at a time (dot mode) will give you much better battery life than running it in bar mode (probably talking about about 200ma vs 40mA in dot mode).

The LM3916 spec sheet also discusses how you can limit the current draw of the LEDs, which will make them dimmer, but will also further extend your battery life.  Motivated folks who want to go this route should get the disassembled kit and read through the 3916 spec sheet on this topic.  By substituting a couple resistors in the kit, you'll be able to save a bunch more power.  You could probably also look around for low power LEDs.  The 3916 and other components don't draw much power.  If you change this to dot mode, reduce the current delivered to the LEDs, and/or change out the LEDs for low power versions, you could put together this VU meter so that it draws very little power.

Also, Matt, the kit says it has a low input mode vs. a high input mode.  Difference seems to be a 47k resistor vs. a 470k resistor.  Maybe you can solve your problem with too little LED action by changing from high input mode to low input mode.  Maybe a jumper selection or maybe have to change out a resistor (R7?)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com