Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69023 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
I don't get what the difference is between reference input level on the 22 vs. the specs on the 60d nor do I really grasp what these numbers actually mean??

The 22WL can take a signal at a maximum level of ~ -2 dBu (actually -1.78 dBu, but close enough) and the 60D can take a signal 14 dB hotter. The DPA 4061, with a sensitivity of 6 mV/Pa (-42 dBu with respect to 94 dBSPL), will overload the 22WL at 134 dBSPL and the 60D at 148 dBSPL (although the mic is only spec'ed to 144 dBSPL). Pretty hard to overload the 22 with those mics and the mics will clip before the recorder with the 60D. Assuming I did the math right...

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
That's as impressive a post as I've read here (assuming your maths is correct...)  :)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
Thank you.

tomuo

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »

Hey Tom of Tascam, glad you dropped by, is the "Mark" button on Android coming?  I hope so...

Next up is streaming audio on the android app (in testing now), but I put in a request to put the Mark button in as well.

Tom.

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Couple of quick questions:

- Is there a setting to turn off plug-in power or do I have to remember answer the pop-up question every time I plug an external preamp into the unit?
- It there a setting for the external input to make it a line in vs a mic in?  The input appears to always be mic in and even with no gain added from the dr22wl itself (level set to zero) is a good 10+ db hotter than my dr2d or dr07

Thanks in advance for your input.  Hope to get this out in the field soon.  (Cliff, Hoodphellas at Tuttles Saturday night?  I've got the dr220wl and repaired Busman K11 card caps to test (( kudos to Chris Johnson/Busman Audio for amazing quick and under warranty repair for my caps that are coming up on three years old!! )) )
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 02:49:40 AM »
Rodeen, the characteristics of the external input were discussed a couple of posts above.  It isn't a normal line in input - for sources other than mics, it expects attenuation of the incoming signal at the source.  The manual suggests using it with the headphone output of another device, with that output turned down as necessary.  I doubt whether a firmware update could change this, as I'm sure they would have made it a mic/line switchable input if the chipset allowed it.

Tom. thanks for your response re the mark button. It's good to have someone able to answer this kind of query after the initial frustrations with the device earlier in the thread (now becoming resolved, I'm happy to say).  One other thing you might be able to comment on - it seems to me that with any of these recorders with built in mics, it should be technically possible to achieve a pretty flatish frequency response by the use of fixed onboard eq to correct the known characteristics of the mics.  In the case of the DR-22WL, the sound (to me and others) is somewhat dull in the upper mid frequencies, and although it's not hard to brighten it in post production, it would have been better if the correction could have been applied within the device in the first place.  I'm not talking about user-configurable eq but a fixed correction for the mic sound right out of the box.  Maybe that's something that the designers could think about (if they haven't already) for future devices, assuming that it's not something that could now be achieved with a firmware update.  Cheers!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
  (Cliff, Hoodphellas at Tuttles Saturday night?  I've got the dr220wl and repaired Busman K11 card caps to test (( kudos to Chris Johnson/Busman Audio for amazing quick and under warranty repair for my caps that are coming up on three years old!! )) )
Heck yeah, I'm in. We should figure out where to stash the Tascam's, since Jason surely will not mind.BTW, although I have not had any distortion issues, I decided last time to attach a -10db attenuator to my setup which included the Tascam DR22WL Pipsqueak and Church CA 11's and that gave me plenty of headroom. That may not please everybody, but I think having a -10db attenuator in my arsenal for 1/8 style decks has been an easy fix although for the life of me I do not know why so many decks run hot.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
Today's Android app update provides the promised "streaming" function (via a mode toggle in the menu in the app).  This then streams playback of already recorded files from the recorder to the phone.  The files can be CD quality wave, or mp3.  You can jump around in the files using the location bar. 

Use case - you have the recorder installed on a tall stand, or otherwise not accessible, and you want to play back some bits of what you've recorded (say in the interval, or during a rehearsal or sound check).  You could already transfer the whole file from the recorder to your phone and then play it, which could take some time, but now you can stream it without copying the whole thing, jumping around to sections of interest.

Downside - the meters don't work during streaming so you can't check what the levels were like.  But presumably you would have already done that during the recording.  And if you want to check the levels of playback without actually listening, you can do that already if you turn off streaming (so the recorder plays back locally, but silently unless you had a connection to its headphone output).

I tested streaming over about a 15 metre range without problems.  It's slightly buggy in that at one point the playback point couldn't be moved to elsewhere in the file, but exiting the app and running it again fixed that.

A pretty neat feature!

Now let's have that "mark" button!  (Why?  Because when recording a live show, particularly if near the limit of the wifi range, if you pause or stop recording then there's  a chance that you might not be able to restart it if you lose the wifi link.  So it's prudent to keep recording all the time, and mark the points where you would have paused with the forthcoming "mark" button, then edit out the marked sections later).

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
I was thinking about Ozpeter's posts here on the 22wl this morning.  I've seen some glowing user reviews elsewhere that to me studiously avoided mention of any initial problems with the remote DR software which caused me to completely discredit those reviews.  I've seen other reviews elsewhere that bordered on an impatient rant. 

I just wanted to thank Ozpeter for posting his series of updates on his experience with the 22wl.  They have been courteous, informative, and balanced, IMO. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
That's kind, thanks.  This device does break a lot of new ground and I'm happy to be the guinea pig.  And I love new toys... I just wish that I could be out getting more real-world location experiences with the recorder but sadly some current circumstances are inhibiting that.

I really must do some testing with the Roland in-ear mics very soon, if only around the house. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
For those interested in the inner workings of things, see http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/01/28/700788/10117474/en/GainSpan-Technology-Powers-TASCAM-s-DR-22WL-and-DR-44WL-First-Portable-Recorders-with-Wi-Fi.html which identifies the wifi chip used in these devices.

At http://tascam.com/news/display/2310/ announces $25 rebate on the DE-22WL for a limited period - USA purchasers only.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
cobiwan posted a deal on the 22wl yesterday (thank you)  that I jumped on so I should have one shortly. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Cool - I think you will enjoy it - simply as a recorder it's ok rather than groundbreaking but the wifi control aspect gives rise to possibilities which hitherto no other recorder has, er, made possible.

Here's something it left-of-centre that it allows - the use of a seriously effective windscreen (dead cat) which tends to cover part if not most of the display, but when controlled by phone, the display doesn't need to be visible.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
I excitedly opened the delivery box today to discover a set of headphones along with an invoice stating that the DR22wl is backordered. 

The salesman at Sam Ash said they didn't have any in stock when I went in the store a few days ago.   Whether or not the 22wl has caught on here on TS, looks like it has caught on elsewhere or Tascam isn't making them fast enough. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Now that's frustrating!

Meanwhile...  here's the release notes for the latest version of the Android app - which I've not yet had time to try -

- Added mark function.
- Fixed issue that caused character corruption on title name.
- Fixed issue that caused several icons not to appear.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Hooray, mark function!  Everything comes to he who waits.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.221 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com