Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Minidisc > PCM-M10 Transfers -- Optimum Settings?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Minidisc > PCM-M10 Transfers -- Optimum Settings?
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
I'm going back and re-transferring my 2002- to 2005-era Minidisc recordings via my M10.  They were originally transferred directly into my PC's budget soundcard, and I didn't really have any complaints about the quality of the original transfers.  But I'm thinking that there is probably something to gain by using the M10 to transfer them again.  Or not necessarily?  Assuming it's a worthwhile effort, what would be the optimum settings on the MD (Sony MZ-R90) and M10 to get the cleanest transfer?  I'm tinkering with it now, but would love some advice before spending hours upon hours transferring this first one several times at different levels looking for the perfect combination.  I've currently got the volume on the MZ-R90 at about 90% and the (line) input level of the M10 at between 9 and 10.  This combination is peaking at about -5 on the M10.  This seems like a good level on the M10, obviously, but is  ~90% too hot for the MZ-R90's output?  Would I be better off backing off the MZ-R90 output and then amplifying the rest of the way in CEP?  I guess I'm looking for some good "set it and forget it" advice so that I don't have to monitor all of them during the entire transfer listening for evidence of clipping at the MZ-R90's output.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Minidisc > PCM-M10 Transfers -- Optimum Settings?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »
Why don't you borrow/purchase an MZ-RH1? Instead of using a PC's line input (which are usually not very good), the MZ-RH1 can transfer any Minidisc recording to your computer digitally through USB. I believe the RH1 is the only MD unit with this ability.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
Why don't you borrow/purchase an MZ-RH1? Instead of using a PC's line input (which are usually not very good), the MZ-RH1 can transfer any Minidisc recording to your computer digitally through USB. I believe the RH1 is the only MD unit with this ability.

I'm not using my PC's input -- that's what I did previously.  I'm trying to upgrade those by using the line input of the Sony M10.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »
The Sony  Rh1 and the 200 can do digital transfers as stated.Ive transfered that way and also by going minidisc line out to standalone  CD recorder via the analog inputs and i cant hear any difference.

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »
I'm willing to transfer all of your discs digitally using my MZ-M200 if you'd like -- see my thread here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141869.0

IMO it makes more sense to re-transfer them digitally instead than doing another transfer through digital -> analog -> digital conversions. (even with better equipment).

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »
I'm willing to transfer all of your discs digitally using my MZ-M200 if you'd like -- see my thread here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141869.0

IMO it makes more sense to re-transfer them digitally instead than doing another transfer through digital -> analog -> digital conversions. (even with better equipment).

This ^^^

Or find your own means to do the same...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
No doubt that is the best and fastest way BUT if your minidisc has a dropout sonic stage will fail the transfer. I found dropouts to be fairly occasional.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:17 AM »
There's no reason to use Sonicstage anymore.
Since a few months back, there is an open source tool called NetMDPython that does the same thing:
https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/linux-minidisc/doku.php?id=netmdpython#upload.py_-_upload_tracks_from_standard_mds_using_sony_s_mz-rh1_m200

Like the previous posts concluded, I don't see much point in re-transfering MDs if you don't intend to do it digitally. M10 will involve an extra AD conversion. Maybe it will sounce nicer than your previous transfers, but if you're going to spend the time anyway, make the effort and hunt down somebody with a RH-1/M200.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link to NetMDPython. I'm going to install it on one of my computers and try it out. I don't have any complaints about Sonic Stage -- I only use it for one thing and it has worked fine for me. But if the results are the same with NetMDPython then I will probably prefer using that script instead.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com