Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 8-channel multi-track hard drive recorders?  (Read 8904 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: 8-channel multi-track hard drive recorders?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 10:28:41 AM »
You would only need 24 TRS connectors, 24 on/off button switches, and one headphone amp. I would just have to put some thought into how to best connect it all, one rack unit in size would be awesome. It must be a cost effectiveness situation but I REALLY think these type of units should have a solo button. It just makes sense. It would be SO helpful in the field. With a console your all set but with rack preamps you would need to route to a mixer for monitoring. Maybe a small 24 channel rackmount mixer that was used only to monitor would be best. I'll have to give that some thought.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  :hmmm:

Here's a good starter article on the HD24.  Keep in mind this article is 4 years old now.  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb02/articles/alesishd24.asp
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 10:32:07 AM »
You would only need 24 TRS connectors, 24 on/off button switches, and one headphone amp. I would just have to put some thought into how to best connect it all, one rack unit in size would be awesome. It must be a cost effectiveness situation but I REALLY think these type of units should have a solo button. It just makes sense. It would be SO helpful in the field. With a console your all set but with rack preamps you would need to route to a mixer for monitoring. Maybe a small 24 channel rackmount mixer that was used only to monitor would be best. I'll have to give that some thought.

The Crest X-rack series are nice for this type of thing.  They can be mounted in a rack and have an XLR splitter built in.  Perfect for multitraking in the field. This is a picture of the 20 channel version.  they have a 24 but no picture.  I have used one of these many times and they are great.  Also have groups so you could send a rough 2-channel mixdown as well as just the SBD feed etc to a two track recorder for backup. They arent too bad either at around $1500 new.  Used can be found for much much less.  This is pro quality stuff too.
http://www.crestaudio.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116281/number/CFA-XXR20-U2/cat/327/X-Rack+Series.cfm

I think that the no solo thing is a size issue as well.  On off buttons and routing all that to a headphone amp and jack.  The fce is pretty jam packed on the HD-24 already.  If you added another row of buttons and whatnot I would think it would increase the size to the next rackspace size. Just IMO.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:36:58 AM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »

I used a patch bay instead and a headphone amp.  Worked fine for the few times I needed it.  As I said I mostly monitored through the board.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:34:15 AM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 10:34:34 AM »
Behringer 16 input one rack space mixer. You can find these for about $100. I don't normally think about buying Behringer but for this purpose it might be a good bet. Even making something will add up in terms of cost. With this you could even dial in a submix and route it to the recorder or CD burner for a quick refference copy.

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
Behringer 16 input one rack space mixer. You can find these for about $100. I don't normally think about buying Behringer but for this purpose it might be a good bet. Even making something will add up in terms of cost. With this you could even dial in a submix and route it to the recorder or CD burner for a quick refference copy.

This is the EURORACK PRO RX1602, for anyone who might be interested.  A risky investment to be sure.  Here are a couple other options, for a little (to a LOT!) more money:

Ashly LX-308B
Rane SM82
Speck XSum (this is what I want!)

Another contender might be the Mackie LM3202 but they're no longer made, so the only place you might find them is used or on Ebay.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »
A risky investment to be sure.

I assume you mean because it is behringer. Normally I would agree there. I think it is a good contender for this though. Get yourself two of these and two 16 channel TS, or TRS snakes and you have not only a monitoring situation but also something to submix on the fly with a hard disk recorder. All for about $250. Pretty good solution IMO. The fact that it is Behringer does mean of course that it could break pretty easy and possibly be noisey on any given channel. Since it is not part of the recording chain I would not worry too much about quality. Espessially keeping in mind that other solutions are gonna be a much bigger investment. Making something custum might still be a good solution though. I'll be mulling it over for sure.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »

The fact that it is Behringer does mean of course that it will break pretty easy and definitely be noisey on any given channel.
I fixed that for you ;D
But curious, if you are using this for monitoring (and are worried about buzzes, ground hums etc and that is what you are monitoring for) why introduce something into the chain that has a very good chance of being noisy in and of itself.  You'll never know if the noise is in the channel or in the monitoring system.  I had a behringer compressor that had a terrible hum all the time.  Even plugged into a power conditioner.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »
A risky investment to be sure.

I assume you mean because it is behringer. Normally I would agree there. I think it is a good contender for this though. Get yourself two of these and two 16 channel TS, or TRS snakes and you have not only a monitoring situation but also something to submix on the fly with a hard disk recorder. All for about $250. Pretty good solution IMO. The fact that it is Behringer does mean of course that it could break pretty easy and possibly be noisey on any given channel. Since it is not part of the recording chain I would not worry too much about quality. Espessially keeping in mind that other solutions are gonna be a much bigger investment. Making something custum might still be a good solution though. I'll be mulling it over for sure.

Yes, the Behringer name pretty much assures you it will break and your only option then is to pitch it into the dumpster, as I'm sure you already know.  There are certainly a few very worthy B products (the ADA8000 comes to mind, for sure) but for the most part B should ALWAYS be thought of as disposable gear.  Buy the Ashly or the Rane, and you'll only buy one time.  It will work for years.  The Behringer might too, but it also might not.  The "might not" odds are pretty much even money.  The "might" odds are the long shot...

Anyway, I'm pursuing a custom solution at the moment.  I've got someone who will help me build this thing - we'll see what the total cost ends up being.  If it comes in at a decent price maybe we'll build a couple of them if anyone's interested.

Dirk

EDIT:  Thanks Brad!  Beat me to the punch!   ;D

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
If you are using this for monitoring (and are worried about buzzes, ground hums etc and that is what you are monitoring for) why introduce something into the chain that has a very good chance of being noisy in and of itself.  You'll never know if the noise is in the channel or in the monitoring system.

I guess I was just putting a little faith (for no reason) into the unit. Assuming (for no reason) that it could serve this little purpose without being a complete peice of shit. I'm sure the custom route will be a better option. If/when I will certainly pursure that route.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 12:42:10 PM »
Of course WAY out of the price range, but certainly bullet-proof and exactly what you are looking for is available in the Cantar and Deva units.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »
Despite all the help, I fell back to what I originally considered.
Just bought a lightly used Fostex VF160EX mixer/recorder to serve my multi-tracking needs.
Only 8 simultaneous channels of recording ... but the HD24's 24 channels were overkill for my use.

tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com