Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anybody with an Edirol and a M-10 and a few minutes  (Read 6049 times)

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
Re: anybody with an Edirol and a M-10 and a few minutes
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »
everything starts out well but by the middle of the 3 hour show the audio is not still in sync and by isolating each pair of audio tracks against each other I find the Edirol is a tiny bit shorter (originally I thought it was a little bit faster).
I tried to time stretch the Edirol recordings but really I suck at that and wasn't able to get a satisfactory stretch over the 3 hour set that made everything match up and I tried on one particular piece a total of 14 times before giving up that method.

Have you checked not only the beginning but the end of the first file of Edirol? Is it synched well? If yes, no stretch needs, only needs to resynch the 2nd Edirol file and you'll have a little missing part, but your whole stuff shall be ok. If its out of synch even before the first cut, then needs to change speed.
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any two separate recorders will ever record the exact same file length.  They may be very close, but never exact.

Is that just what you're wondering about?  If you use separate recorders you will generally have to do some time stretching/shrinking of one of the files to line up separate sources of the same show.  Some people have claimed to be lucky and only had minor drift after a hour or more, but that has never been my experience.  Especially after a three hour show, I find it hard to believe two separate recorders would be recording in sync by the end, with only a dropout to create a new file causing the latency.

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
I own an R-4, an R-09, and an R-09HR. and have never had anything but seamless file transitions with any of them.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any two separate recorders will ever record the exact same file length.  They may be very close, but never exact.

Is that just what you're wondering about?  If you use separate recorders you will generally have to do some time stretching/shrinking of one of the files to line up separate sources of the same show.  Some people have claimed to be lucky and only had minor drift after a hour or more, but that has never been my experience.  Especially after a three hour show, I find it hard to believe two separate recorders would be recording in sync by the end, with only a dropout to create a new file causing the latency.

Yes, that's what I meant in my previous posts - no one seemed to acknowledge it anyway :P But I think you're very much right, sir, the device's clocks very rarely run at the exact same speed. Speed difference would be HARDLY noticeable during a 10 second or even a song' length, but when the files get longer (in the hours range) I think it's virtually impossible to have the exact same timing - one source or the other will need to be stretched, more or less, but stretched after all.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com