Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)  (Read 108577 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
Looked at the David Byrne photo and not so sure it is the PCM-M10.

With the headphones (curly cord) plugged in on that side, the mic/line input should be at the top, visible. Also the headphone jack looks like it's midway down the unit, not near the top. Where the heck is the mic plugged in, anyway?

Then again, I don't know what recorder it is. It's not an Edirol or Zoom.  Any thoughts?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »

With the headphones (curly cord) plugged in on that side, the mic/line input should be at the top, visible. Also the headphone jack looks like it's midway down the unit, not near the top. Where the heck is the mic plugged in, anyway?

Then again, I don't know what recorder it is. It's not an Edirol or Zoom.  Any thoughts?
looks like a zoom h2 to me
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #332 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »

looks like a zoom h2 to me

From the angle that the picture was taken, it's hard to tell if the mic is plugged into anything at all.  Judging by where the headphone input is and the lack of inputs on the top, the Zoom H2 is probably the stronger call.

Anyone want to take a gander at the microphone?  Nak with the shotgun capsule, maybe?  I don't see an external pre/phantom supply that you would need to use with the H2 for a typical condenser.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
I would also agree it is not an m10 due to it being a little too thick and the front and back parts that we see are symmetrical.

No idea on the shotgun, perhaps AT8035? He's using the mic with a small table top tripod and nice looking shockmount.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline chasingwilma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
so is this unit a good one or bad and would anyone recommend it

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »

Let me beat Bean to this. Yes buy it.
For a two-track recorder it's hard to beat.

1. Battery life is insane. 16 hours on 2AA batteries.
2. Built solid.
3. Quiet preamps.

Built in mics are good, not great. It shines paired with good mics.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:45:00 PM by ScoobieKW »
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline twalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »

It is great piece.  And, I would recommend it.  I have a D50 and when it goes I will replace it with an M10.
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

It is great piece.  And, I would recommend it.  I have a D50 and when it goes I will replace it with an M10.

I've got a D50 which I've had for a few years now and love.  If tracking numbers aren't lying to me, I've got an M10 waiting on my doorstep for me when I return home from work.  ;D
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
Does the m10 display light remain illuminated during recording even in HOLD mode so you can see the settings?

so if you are using Jedi skills to record, is the display light on?

like the edirol r0-9 it has a OLED display and when hit record you can see your levels throughout your evening of recording without using up battery.

How is any seeing there levels in the dark, basically how does the display work and what ways can it be changed to accommodate a dark jedi environment?

thanks in advance

Offline Todd R

« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
Just got my M10 delivered yesterday.  "Used" supposedly, but absolutely pristine -- it, the box/packing materials, and accessories look brand new.  Can't wait to use it!

I'm probably not the right one to ask since I haven't used it, but after playing around with it last night:

You can set the backlight to go off after 10sec, 60sec, or stay on continuously.  Also, the level LEDs, which show for each channel -12dbFS and near-clipping at -1dbFS can be turned on or turned off.

For Jedi, either keep the LEDs on or off as is your preference.  If kept on, I'd imagine you could use those as pretty low key guidelines to whether your levels were ok, without ever turning on the LCD backlight.  Or keep the LCD backlight set to go off after 10sec, put the unit into hold and run it that way.  On hold, hit any button at all, the M10 will come up saying "Hold On" and won't perform the button function (stop the recording or whatever) but it will light up the backlight for a few seconds (10??), allowing you to check your levels.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline kennedy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Lezzy 🔥👁👁🖊🍻😘😷😍😷
« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
Just got my M10 delivered yesterday.  "Used" supposedly, but absolutely pristine -- it, the box/packing materials, and accessories look brand new.  Can't wait to use it!

nice purchase, I went from a 722 to M10 and couldn't be happier. Great little deck, very reminiscent of the M1 IMO.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
Yep Jeff, lusting after yours was the last straw.

Actually, the last straw was the GBA show we just did.  My Milab>V3>D50 recording came out great, but the Beyer mc950>Littlebox>DR2d recording got screwed up on the first song, due essentially to the low input overload levels of the DR2d.  I'm not willing to lose any more recordings.

Too bad, I actually like the mc950>LB>DR2d recording better than the Milab>V3 recording, once I got everything straightened out on the DR2d.  Maybe I'll splice in the Milab 1st song into the Beyer mc950 recording and use that.

Offline kennedy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Lezzy 🔥👁👁🖊🍻😘😷😍😷
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
Nice. I'd really like to hear the beyer pull, don't think I've heard those hypers yet. Gonna try to post my Ogden and BT shows this weekend. Enjoy the new deck!

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

I'm probably not the right one to ask since I haven't used it, but after playing around with it last night:

You can set the backlight to go off after 10sec, 60sec, or stay on continuously.  Also, the level LEDs, which show for each channel -12dbFS and near-clipping at -1dbFS can be turned on or turned off.

For Jedi, either keep the LEDs on or off as is your preference.  If kept on, I'd imagine you could use those as pretty low key guidelines to whether your levels were ok, without ever turning on the LCD backlight.  Or keep the LCD backlight set to go off after 10sec, put the unit into hold and run it that way.  On hold, hit any button at all, the M10 will come up saying "Hold On" and won't perform the button function (stop the recording or whatever) but it will light up the backlight for a few seconds (10??), allowing you to check your levels.

thank you

in addition, i hear that the input dials--even when M10 is "locked"or " hold" still can be moved and adjusted thus requiring possible small amount of tape so that they are not disturbed once set at the right level.

thanks again

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #344 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »

This is exactly what I do and i don't do stealth...i just don't need the light on all the time and 60 seconds is just a little too long.

Nice buy, Todd. I have no doubt you will like the simplicity of vm44 > littlebox > m10!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com