Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Zoom F3 abd batteries

<< < (2/3) > >>

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: commongrounder on April 04, 2024, 09:16:22 AM ---Something I find annoying is the manufacturers of the rechargeable lithium-ion AA batteries have chosen to use a different measurement of capacity, milli-WATT-hour instead of milli-AMP-hour used in other types. This has the effect, on quick glance, of making them appear to have higher capacity, when in reality it translates to lower milli-amp-hours (at least for now, until power density catches up). The rechargeable lithium AAs are forced to devote a chunk of internal space to the protection/charging/dc-dc converter circuitry. At this point I don’t find any compelling reason to use them in my recorders.

--- End quote ---

A sense of responsibility and avoiding single use disposable items is enough incentive for me - but we all have our own priorities. Cost is another factor. I have some Eneloop AAs that I've been recharging for years without issue.

grawk:
I’m just guessing here but i think he was saying use something like the eneloops instead of the rechargeable lithium AAs. At that size the 1.5v lithiums are inefficient. If you have a device that can make use of 3.7v lithium cells you may see an advantage but it’d have to be designed for that.
--- Quote from: goodcooker on April 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: commongrounder on April 04, 2024, 09:16:22 AM ---Something I find annoying is the manufacturers of the rechargeable lithium-ion AA batteries have chosen to use a different measurement of capacity, milli-WATT-hour instead of milli-AMP-hour used in other types. This has the effect, on quick glance, of making them appear to have higher capacity, when in reality it translates to lower milli-amp-hours (at least for now, until power density catches up). The rechargeable lithium AAs are forced to devote a chunk of internal space to the protection/charging/dc-dc converter circuitry. At this point I don’t find any compelling reason to use them in my recorders.

--- End quote ---

A sense of responsibility and avoiding single use disposable items is enough incentive for me - but we all have our own priorities. Cost is another factor. I have some Eneloop AAs that I've been recharging for years without issue.

--- End quote ---

fanofjam:

--- Quote from: breakonthru on April 03, 2024, 08:30:32 PM ---Also 24 V should not be used with Schoeps microphones while it may power them. It is technically out of spec for their 12 V and 48 V acceptable ranges.

--- End quote ---

A long time ago, when CMR's first came out and people were discussing those as a possible lower cost option to KCY + KC5, we discussed at length running Schoeps caps at lower voltages than spec.  This has been a long time ago now, but IIRC Schoeps confirmed that there's nothing WRONG with running a MK-X capsule at other voltages, but the mic performance (mic sensitivity) won't match the graphs.  The issue was the the CMR didn't provide enough input voltage to get the capsule up to 60V of polarization voltage.  Some people interpreted that to mean that you shouldn't run their mics at lower voltages, but the conclusion was, again IIRC, it's not going to damage anything if you run them lower.  As I recall CMRs put out less than 12V, but a CMC6 has an internal transformer that raises polarization voltage to 60V regardless of the input voltage as long as the input is between 12V and 48V.

The real consequence of this is that, if polarization voltage is less than 60v, you have less headroom above the noise floor, but for those of us that record live concerts, there is a zero net difference of losing a few db of headroom, which as I recall was the difference between CMRs and CMC6 with the same capsules. 

FWIW, I used to run CMC6 mics all the time with an Oade M118 and never had any problems.  The m118 only provides 18V of phantom power.

PS:  Others please chime in and correct me on anything I've said above that might not be right.  I'm 65 now and my memory isn't what it used to be.

aaronji:
DSatz had some relatively recent comments with respect to phantom voltage in the Team thread.

adrianf74:

--- Quote from: aaronji on April 04, 2024, 03:38:55 PM ---DSatz had some relatively recent comments with respect to phantom voltage in the Team thread.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for posting this.  Was just about to link back to that because I remembered reading that thread a while back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version