Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 89641 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
^ Personally, I think that's mostly marketing. Many mics don't have extended response, nor do many speakers or headphones.

At any rate, if ultrasonic content is interacting with stuff in the audible range, those changes can be recorded solely by recording that audible range. I have quoted this before, but as Dan Lavry puts it:

Quote from: Dan Lavry
It has been well documented that acoustic musical instruments generate energy at frequencies far above audibility. In the performance space (before any recording takes place), if there is any mechanism that enable ultrasonic frequencies to impact what we hear, it would require energy transfer from ultrasonic frequencies to the audible range. Therefore, using microphones and gear that cover what we hear enables us to capture and keep ALL the energy we need. We can store it, convert it and at some point play back all that we need. There is no good reason for keeping what we don’t hear, because everything we heard in the original performance is already there.   

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2019, 06:53:28 PM »
^ Personally, I think that's mostly marketing. Many mics don't have extended response, nor do many speakers or headphones.

At any rate, if ultrasonic content is interacting with stuff in the audible range, those changes can be recorded solely by recording that audible range. I have quoted this before, but as Dan Lavry puts it:

Quote from: Dan Lavry
It has been well documented that acoustic musical instruments generate energy at frequencies far above audibility. In the performance space (before any recording takes place), if there is any mechanism that enable ultrasonic frequencies to impact what we hear, it would require energy transfer from ultrasonic frequencies to the audible range. Therefore, using microphones and gear that cover what we hear enables us to capture and keep ALL the energy we need. We can store it, convert it and at some point play back all that we need. There is no good reason for keeping what we don’t hear, because everything we heard in the original performance is already there.   

Hmm.  That's so simple that it makes perfect sense!  :facepalm:

The only possible exception is infrasonic frequencies we feel, which are usually expensive to reproduce in playback anyway.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2019, 04:00:44 AM »
^ Occam's Razor and whatnot! Personally, I have found Lavry's white papers to be very compelling (although not always easy).

I have seen a few articles about feeling ultrasonics; the most convincing evidence was for direct bone conduction. My Dynaudios definitely don't do that (thankfully)!

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
should I sell my 744 and get a MixPre 6 ii ??

Any thoughts?? Opinions ??
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2019, 04:06:58 PM »

I love mine!  as you know there's no digi out but I don't need that anyway.  small, light, great pre's, 32bit float, what's not to love?!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline datbrad

« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »
Charlie, unless your 744T is acting up or you really need more than 4 channels, I think you should stick with it. One of these Mixpre models might be the right choice for replacing your 744T when it kicks the bucket, or if you are looking for it's direct decendent, consider the new pro model 833, it looks amazing on paper. Also you may still need the digital input on the 744T so you can transfer GD SBD DAT sources (if there are any left you haven't already archived, ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:20:30 AM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »

If you worry about or ever have issues with your levels, then this is a deck to consider. The 744 is a great deck and will make great recordings. They both are outstanding. Does the 744 have any features (digi in comes to mind) that you use and need that the MixPre6II does not have?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »

If you worry about or ever have issues with your levels, then this is a deck to consider. The 744 is a great deck and will make great recordings. They both are outstanding. Does the 744 have any features (digi in comes to mind) that you use and need that the MixPre6II does not have?

I often use the different outputs on the 744 to send different feeds/mixes. It looks like the 833 is what I need since I can’t afford the Scorpio.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:12:24 PM by Charlie Miller »
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »

That could be a problem but I do not pay much attention top output routing. I would send a question to Sound Devices as I know there (or I think) there is multiple output functionality through USB. Will that work for your situation? They'd know best and for me they have been great on responses to questions.

I often use the different outputs on the 744 to send different feeds/mixes.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline shijan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2019, 06:02:09 AM »
Played with MixPre-3 II few hours yesterday evening and here are some quick  personal critical impressions:

The biggest problem for me was get AA batteries out of sled. Not too user friendly design. The solution - place thin ribbon under the batteries. This usually helps in similar situations to get out batteries from holders.
AA batteries is a total shame. Instead of 4xAA they could design sled with SINGLE 18650 li-ion  battery and it will produced same Wh capacity.
Battery sled may looks thin, but subjectively seems it is not cheap ABS plastic. It feels like made of Polyamide or similar heavy duty heat resistant Nylon-like industrial material.

XLR lock handles are very tiny and with sharp edges. Not too comfortable to press. Sort of idiotic design way to fit everything inside slim size to provide 5mm less body thickness.

As expected, preamps sounds slightly different between MixPre and MixPre-3 II because transformers technology is very different between them.
As expected, when you plug MixPre out to MixPre-3 II Aux line in, and record with 32 bit mode, you can not recover similar ultra wide dynamic range clipped data as from native MixPre-3 II peamps recording. But it is still better than 24 bit recording because MixPre still allow to recover very tiny amount of clipped data. MixPre was calibrated with 20db tone signal and tested with limiters turned OFF.

Until you create Presets for different connections it is impossible to switch things and setups as fast and intuitive as with MixPre physical buttons.

For some reason "switch to USB files transfer mode" hidden too deep. You need too many clicks inside menu every time when you connect it to computer and want to transfer files.

Faders knobs rotate very smooth and well damped. Input gain faders are fully digital, so they can not change input gain in real time with same smoothness as analogue MixPre faders. When switched to final mix volume control mode, they probably provide more smoothness but i don't tested it yet.

Вespite all this MixPre-3/6 II is a great tool and no any real alternative to it.

2x Oktava MK-012+Rycote BBG -> MixPre -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2019, 07:37:52 AM »
Looking to get the 10 II and trying to price out selling some gear and acquiring new.  I'm assuming 9v dvd batteries won't do the trick.  What's the best way to power this bad boy?  Rechargeable AA's or outside power?  It comes with a AA sled, right?  I'm only looking to run it for about 6 hours with 6 mics.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »
The MixPre10 is a very power hungry device. The linked video and SD PDF are worth exploring for options.

https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/MixPreII9.12.19.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a_AP9JbgJg

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
Looking to get the 10 II and trying to price out selling some gear and acquiring new.  I'm assuming 9v dvd batteries won't do the trick.  What's the best way to power this bad boy?  Rechargeable AA's or outside power?  It comes with a AA sled, right?  I'm only looking to run it for about 6 hours with 6 mics.

Best way to power it is with an inexpensive usb-c battery.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-Qualcomm-20100mAh-Nintendo/dp/B019IFIJW8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=32SLYFUBQIND9&keywords=usb-c+battery+pack&qid=1572880737&sprefix=usb-c+batt%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-3
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
MIXPRE-3 II AND MIXPRE-6 II POWER OPTIONS
1. Included MX-PSU AC wall adapter to USB-C power supply.
2. Four AA batteries installed in the included MX-4AA Battery Sled.
3. Eight AA batteries installed in the optional MX-8AA Battery Sled
accessory.
4. One or two Sony-type L-Mount batteries installed in the optional
MX-LMount battery sled accessory.
5. USB-C to USB-C cable (included) connected to a USB-C host
computer or AC wall adapter.
6. USB-A to USB-C cable connected to a USB-A host computer or
AC wall adapter. The unit will enter a low power state and some
functionality will be limited with this power option.
7. MX-USBY Dual USB-A to USB-C optional accessory
cable connected to a USB-A host computer. Use this
cable option if your computer is unable to provide
adequate power with only one USB-A port.

MIXPRE-10 II POWER OPTIONS
1. Included XL-WPH3 AC to DC 12 V Power supply with 4-pin Hirose.
2. Eight AA batteries installed in the included MX-8AA Battery Sled.
3. One or two Sony-type L-Mount batteries installed in the optional
MX-LMount battery sled accessory

OR

Watch the previously linked video for other Hirose connection options.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com