Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rewiring mics advice if possible.  (Read 2106 times)

Offline ch33sl3y

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Rewiring mics advice if possible.
« on: June 06, 2022, 11:47:34 AM »
Hi, so I have some mics that I bought used a few years ago. I'm not 100% sure what they are. The guy said they were custom mics made by a guy in Germany and I didn't want to shell out too much at the time because I wasn't sure if they'd really get any use. Anyway these have served me well but recently they developed a crackle on one side which I presumed to be a break in the wire. I needed them for some shows so I taped them up in the offending place and they did last out for what I needed albeit with a bit of a buzz but at least no popping or cutting in & out. So I decided to chop the section that was broken and solder the wire back together. I shrink sleeved the inner core and I know that it isn't now on the earth which is what I'd presumed the problem was. It's still buzzing. So my next step is gonna be to chop the mics close to and soldering them into a new wiring harness to see if that solves it, because it's my guess there's more breakdown in the wiring somewhere. So my main question is, can I just use a headphone harness? I presume that would be ok. Is there one that you folks could recommend as decent quality, also any advice gratefully received. I do solder cables for a living so that part of it is pretty straight forward.

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
Re: Rewiring mics advice if possible.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 02:34:35 PM »
^Good quality small diameter microphone cable such as this is the right answer.  A chopped headphone cable will work, but is more likely to be have susceptibility to interference, and be more susceptible to mechanical failure again over time.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ch33sl3y

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »
Awesome. Thank you.

Offline ch33sl3y

• Taperssection Newbie

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 03:43:03 PM »
Thirding Mogami. It’s worth the premium
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com