Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Considering this Rig (opinion wanted)  (Read 2589 times)

Offline kmageau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Considering this Rig (opinion wanted)
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »
Hello,
   I am new to taping. I am considering the following rig. I am interested in other peoples opinions. I have a limited budget and already own a laptop.

I am considering:

UA25>Toshiba A45-S121>Cakewalk home studio v2 or Calkwalk Sonar v4

I need a recommendation on what type of cables I would need to patch into soundboards.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Keith

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Considering this Rig (opinion wanted)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:32:37 PM »
I would get a UA5. I don't know much about the UA25, but there are a ton of people using the UA5 for taping (including me).

Since you are using a laptop you can get a stock UA5. If you plan on getting a new recorder at some point (like a JB3), then I would splurge and get a Oade Digi-Mod UA5 (www.oade.com). That will allow you to recorded via the digi outs without the laptop hooked up.

Another + to the Oade unit is that you can send it back to them for mod's to the mic preamps.

Hope that helps.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline kmageau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 09:51:30 PM »
I was told by sonic sense that the U5 has been replaced by the UA25. I checked the specs they seem to be similiar. The Ua25 25 has a built in monitor also. The UA25 also requires no wall power input, It is powered by the USB connection
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:02:23 PM by kmageau »

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:00:07 PM »
The UA5 has a monitor as well. If it's the next UA5, and you don't think you're going to tape on anything but your laptop, and you don't want the preamp mods, I think you will be happy. I love my UA5.

I would make sure it can run on 9-12V DC, so you can use RC Car batteries or a big 12V brick to power it.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline kmageau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:06:04 PM »
Mike,
  The UA25 runs off of USB power. I am also considering a solid state recorder. I do not know if I will choose the laptop route or thr solid state or both. I want to have flexibility. They are no tapers in my area that I am aware to consult for face to face advice.

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 11:57:43 PM »
cable options, follow link below

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14253.0
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:10:49 AM »
Mike,
  The UA25 runs off of USB power. I am also considering a solid state recorder. I do not know if I will choose the laptop route or thr solid state or both. I want to have flexibility. They are no tapers in my area that I am aware to consult for face to face advice.

Well keep in mind that if you run mics into that thing you might drain the battery in you laptop pretty quickly. Depends on the mics, and the laptop.

The UA5 is pretty easy to find used and/or cheap on eBay. I personally like to stick with products that have been tested in the field and proven to work. I'd say about 1 in 4 tapers I run into use a UA5.

I think the battery option (which allows for the solid state option), and the fact that the UA5 has been used extensivly in the field makes it a better choice.

You really should give Doug Oade a call (or email him). He's a great guy. He really helped me out.

Here is a link to the UA5 from Oade:

http://oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/Edirol_UA5.html

Since it sounds like you plan on taping from the board most of the time there isn't really a need to get any of the preamp mods right away. They will do them later (but ONLY if you buy the UA5 from them).

If you think you can mod it yourself you can get one cheaper from eBay. There are instructions around here somewhere on how to do your own digi mod. If you don't feel comfortable with that you might be able to convince someone here that is good with a soldering iron.

I think solid state is the way of the future. Go with the UA5. You won't be disapointed.

MIKE

Offline kmageau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 08:33:24 AM »
If I opt to purchase the UA5 instead of the UA25, Can I still use it if I decide I want to go solid state (PMD 660)?

Is it worth having if I do not use my laptop?

I also need a recommendation on post production transfer/editing software.

Keith

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 10:57:40 AM »
As far as cables go, try www.kindkables.com .
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 05:50:57 PM »
If I opt to purchase the UA5 instead of the UA25, Can I still use it if I decide I want to go solid state (PMD 660)?

Keith

Keith -- in stock form, both the UA5 and the UA25 need to be connected to a computer to provide a digital output.  HOWEVER, the UA5 can be modified (pretty easily, I'm told) to pass a digital output that's pretty much universally recognized by digital recorders (it uses the s/pdif standard via a rca or optical output).  The UA5 mod that will allow this is commonly referred to as a "digimod" -- In an ideal world, you'd want to pick up a UA5 that has been "digimodded" by Doug Oade, as doug also performs some real nice sound quality enhancements to the UA5 (the Pmod, Wmod and Tmod) that, imho, turn an already nice sounding piece of gear into a REALLY nice sounding piece of gear.  However, doug will only modify UA5s that he sold.

So yes, assuming you can get it digimodded, a UA5 is definitely worth having without a laptop.

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 06:35:06 PM »

Keith

Keith -- in stock form, both the UA5 and the UA25 need to be connected to a computer to provide a digital output.  HOWEVER, the UA5 can be modified (pretty easily, I'm told) to pass a digital output that's pretty much universally recognized by digital recorders (it uses the s/pdif standard via a rca or optical output).  The UA5 mod that will allow this is commonly referred to as a "digimod" -- In an ideal world, you'd want to pick up a UA5 that has been "digimodded" by Doug Oade, as doug also performs some real nice sound quality enhancements to the UA5 (the Pmod, Wmod and Tmod) that, imho, turn an already nice sounding piece of gear into a REALLY nice sounding piece of gear.  However, doug will only modify UA5s that he sold.

So yes, assuming you can get it digimodded, a UA5 is definitely worth having without a laptop.

I thought doug was outta these, and is he still moddin em?

Ray

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 06:40:20 PM »
doug is (afaik) out of new ua5s, but will perform analog mods to units that he originally sold.  So the trick is to find a used ua5 that was sold/modded by the oades.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com