Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SF8 vs. SF9  (Read 8334 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
SF8 vs. SF9
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
Anyone know the difference between Sound Forge 8 vs. Sound Forge 9?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SF8 vs. SF9
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
Software developer web pages usually have feature by feature comparisons across versions.  Have you tried Sony's SF website?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
Software developer web pages usually have feature by feature comparisons across versions.  Have you tried Sony's SF website?

i'll do you one better, brian:  are you sure it exists?  i see no reference to it on the sony site, nor googling for beta information.  nada.

are you asking what they might have in the works for the theoretical upcoming version?

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:10:08 PM »
Since sony took those products over they have typically been doing releases around NAB time and NAB starts April 16 this year.

What can they actually improve on in sound forge?  It is pretty much everything you need for 2 track audio work.  Probably accommodate some new obscure and proprietary file formats that sony has invented.

I was personally hoping for a Vegas update {and upgrade offer} since I haven't updated since sony got it.

I upped to SF 8 from 6 whenever it was released {2 years ago?} - fantastic tool I can't live without.

Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »
the ability to multichannel is key for me ever since I got the r-4.  If they also overcame the 2gb limit problem...then I may have to strongly consider buying this.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »
the ability to multichannel is key for me ever since I got the r-4.  If they also overcame the 2gb limit problem...then I may have to strongly consider buying this.

Sony has been able to deal with > 2GB files for some time now. Using .w64 files. Might take a gander. I thought v8 also allowed for multichannel editing too?  ???

Edit:

Looks like if you follow the NAB link on the Sony Media Software homepage you can see the new versions. No specs that I could find yet though. Guess we'll have to wait.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:05:33 PM by m. »
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:29:09 AM »
I got the sony email for the official ver 9 release.

Looks like multi channel recording is included and I like that stereo phase meter, too.

Upgrade offer goes to the end of May so by then I might talk myself into getting it.

The Sound Forge 9 professional digital audio production suite includes everything you need to quickly get from raw audio to finished master. Use this suite to create and edit stereo, and now, multichannel audio files with speed and precision, expertly analyze, record and edit audio, digitize and restore old recordings, model acoustic environments, design sound for multimedia, and master replication-ready CDs.

Sound Forge 9 new features include multichannel file recording, editing and processing, phase scope metering, and Dolby® Digital AC-3 export. What makes Sound Forge 9 software a full-featured production suite? It now includes CD Architect™ 5 software, Noise Reduction 2 plug-ins, and Mastering Effects Bundle powered by iZotope™—a $700 value!

New in Sound Forge 9 software:
New! Multichannel audio recording, file editing and processing
New! Phase and mono-compatibility meters
New! Channel converter for multichannel files
New! Multichannel capable Spectrum Analysis™ tools
New! Wet/dry mix and crossfade options for effects
New! Drag-and-drop editing between channels
New! Gracenote® MusicID™ technology
New! Access to Sony Music Studios Internet Mastering
New! Dolby® Digital AC-3 export
New! Multichannel Windows Media® format support
New! Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Compatible
And more!
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »
And more!

Three options there that I am very much looking forward to.  If I have the opportunity to dump Wavelab for a version of SF that does everything WL5 does then i'm in. 

I have been trying to get into Samplitude and while I like it I am MUCH more proficient at SF8.    I am sure they will have tighter integration with Vegas as well.   

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:00:17 AM »
FWIW, Sony Vegas can pretty much do everything SF can do, plus it is multitrack, non-destructive, and can do video too.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:09:18 AM »
Just downloaded SF9 trial so I'm going to play with it for 30 days.

Multitrackers! I just bought a R4 from David and I'm wonder what to do????

I would like to run a ~60% SBd and the rest mics. How should I go about this? Sorry for stupid question.

What else should I play with in multitrack mixing?

Thanks.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »
Just downloaded SF9 trial so I'm going to play with it for 30 days.

Multitrackers! I just bought a R4 from David and I'm wonder what to do????

I would like to run a ~60% SBd and the rest mics. How should I go about this? Sorry for stupid question.

What else should I play with in multitrack mixing?

Thanks.

Start with 70% SBD and work the aud in slowly until you get some ambiance.

Where did you find the SF9 trial?

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »
See if this works. I got it through an email.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/step2.asp?did=726

Announcing Sound Forge 9
Professional Digital Audio Production Suite
Only through May 31! Upgrade to Sound Forge 9 for only $209.95!*

As a current Sound Forge® Audio Studio user, you've experienced just some of what the professional power of Sound Forge software can do. Now get the ultimate in audio production power by upgrading to the Sound Forge 9 Digital Audio Production Suite. Save $20 through May 31!

The Sound Forge 9 professional digital audio production suite includes everything you need to quickly get from raw audio to finished master. Use this suite to create and edit stereo, and now, multichannel audio files with speed and precision. Expertly analyze, record and edit audio, digitize and restore old recordings, model acoustic environments, design sound for multimedia, and master replication-ready CDs.

Sound Forge 9 new features include multichannel file recording, editing and processing, phase scope metering, and Dolby® Digital AC-3 export. What makes Sound Forge 9 software a full-featured production suite? It now includes CD Architect™ 5 software, Noise Reduction 2 plug-ins, and Mastering Effects Bundle powered by iZotope™—a $700 value!

And more!
The Sound Forge 9 Professional Digital Audio Production Suite is unmatched for comprehensive production power.

Upgrade today for only $209.95!*
Upgrade to Version 9
US $229.95 $209.95*
Order by phone: 1.800.577.6642
For technical support or product questions visit:
http://www.custcenter.com

Sony Creative Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
Customer Service and Sales:

or Oade Mod R4

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 06:43:16 PM »
+t for the soundforge trial.  I'm looking for something I can merge my 2x stereo 24/96 files, and mixdown and still have 24/96 (audition doesn't.. at least v. 1.5)

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 09:09:02 PM »
This is really a SF8 question...

Anyone know how I can generate a single long tone/note from SF8 with constant volume? I understand a lot of audio programs can do this. But I do not know how to do it in SF8. I want to use the tone/note generated  to check my preamp vol meters, that is why it has to be constant volume.

Thanks for your help!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »
This is really a SF8 question...

Anyone know how I can generate a single long tone/note from SF8 with constant volume? I understand a lot of audio programs can do this. But I do not know how to do it in SF8. I want to use the tone/note generated  to check my preamp vol meters, that is why it has to be constant volume.

Thanks for your help!

Tools > Synthesis > Simple

Pick a tone.  Set the length.  Voila!

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
Another SF8 question...

Anyone know if there is an option to reverse the channels (making the right channel left and the left channel right)? I was thinking of coping and pasting the left wave to the right channel in a new file and pasting the right channel to the left. Is this what most people do or there is an option in SF8 for this sort of thing?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
Another SF8 question...

Anyone know if there is an option to reverse the channels (making the right channel left and the left channel right)? I was thinking of coping and pasting the left wave to the right channel in a new file and pasting the right channel to the left. Is this what most people do or there is an option in SF8 for this sort of thing?

I'm confused a little.  Is there something you're going for by swapping channels? 

The quickest way I know to do that is to select all of the right channel.  Copy.  Create a new stereo file and paste the former right channel onto the new left and vice versa for the other channel.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 06:07:13 PM »
Thanks...

The reason I wanted to do it is because something strange happened during a recording session...my channels were reversed by my recorder (my preamp and mics were set correctly), just my recorder had some fault that night.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
Actually, when I did the copy and paste thing this happened....(check picture)

I cannot remove the empty area. Seems as if you cannot copy and paste and have both channels line up...looks as if I need to find a reverse channel option... I did a search in the HELP option but nothing came out of my HELP search...Is there a name for what I need to do so I can do a proper search?

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 06:32:01 PM »
YES found how to do it from channel converter option! Thanks  ;D

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »
You can accomplish the same thing by listening to the recording standing on your head. :P

or Oade Mod R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »
+t for the soundforge trial.  I'm looking for something I can merge my 2x stereo 24/96 files, and mixdown and still have 24/96 (audition doesn't.. at least v. 1.5)

True, Audition's mixdown options are 16-bit or 32bfp, no option for 24-bit.  Why not take advantage of the higher internal resolution (32bfp) when mixing multiple sources?  And does SF mixdown at 24-bit internal resolution, or does it mixdown at 32bfp resolution and dither down to 24-bit as part of its processing?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »
Another SF8 question...

For the record, in Vegas it's as simple as right-click > channels > swap. Done (and in a non-destructive way too, which is nice). Anyway, some folks who have SF also have Vegas as part of the Sony Suite, if so, it's worth a look, even for simple two-track stuff. After using both a lot, I don't find SF necessary nearly ever anymore b/c I can use all of the same plugins SF can use and I have multitrack available (and video can even be dropped in no problem).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 09:49:40 PM »
YES found how to do it from channel converter option! Thanks  ;D

as always, many ways to skin the cat.

when i need to do this, i always select one channel, open a new file with same properties, then paste the right channel into the left channel of the new file, and then vice versa.

now that i run an LSD2 in an inverted fashion, i suspect i'll need to do this more often!   :spin:

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »
Anyone know how to set the % on the left and right? The Peak seems to change when I swap channels...I think it is something to do with the % settings.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »
Actually, I think I know what to do now...

Going back to the copy and paste thing...I need to paste the L channel OVER an existing stereo file on the high-lighted R channel and vice versa.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com