Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)  (Read 110637 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)
« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2015, 11:01:30 PM »
Happened by accident in the warehouse and then they refunded the entire purchase price when the mistake was found.   

Nice response then, mistakes happen.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
Yep.  It's too easy to make a mistake. 

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
I will admit that after all the problems I had experienced, that Dale S. at TEAC/TASCAM was extremely helpful and apologetic to the problems I had experienced and resolved all issues.

I think I had May in customer service walking on broken glass whenever I called for updates on my problem, although I never was nasty and she helped me at every step as well as had me contact Dale.

My situation was an odd one and unfortunately left a bad taste for me, but it was resolved. 

I was out of the country (at TEAC HQ in Japan) when 404 Not Found was having his repair problem, but I asked around.
Since the DR-70D is a newer product, all returns come to TASCAM HQ in Los Angeles, not our
factory repair center.   This is so that we can keep an eye on any problems.

The unit he returned was verified to have a problem.
We authorized a NEW replacement unit.
Records show a unit was sent out.
404 received a unit that was shipped out from the Warehouse.
It was not from new stock, but from a different set of random return units that dealers stick us with. (i.e. a pre-refurb)
This was the warehouse's mistake, but the records show them sending a new one.
Thus the confusion started...

404 eventually requested and received a check from us for the full amount he paid (so we are out more
than we made from the unit when the dealer first got it from us.)

We certainly don't have any policy of "repairing" units with refurbs, this was a one-off mistake that took time
to be fully uncovered.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:07 AM »
I'm in. Recorder arrives Monday.  My Sony M10 was among a bunch of stolen gear.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »
Happened in the warehouse and then they refunded the entire purchase price when the customer complained about it and made the manufacturer's legal department aware of it.

fyp

Seems it could have been handled better if the one CS agent assigned to this model had been willing to believe the customer actually knew the difference between a "new" unit and a "non-new" unit - which turned out to be an abused dealer return.

On the plus side is a manufacturer's rep taking the time to find out what happened and to post the results of those findings.

In light of that, I'm more likely to consider a DR70D when I decide to purchase a 4 channel recorder, though the R44 is still the front runner due to all 4 inputs being on the same surface since that will fit my current bag whereas the DR70 won't; but with the money I would save getting a DR70 I could purchase a new bag and still have enough for new patch cords etc.

The 4th XLR on the opposite side of the other 3 XLR inputs really isn't a big deal at all. I have chopped cables from Darktrain and I can easily run 4 channels into it with right angle stubby cables! And if I am running my PFAs, I run that into channels 1/2, and my vms02ib>70d is ALWAYS on channels 3/4, so that I only have full size XLR's on channels 1/2, which are on the same side. PFA>1/2 with full size XLRs, and vms02ib>3/4 on Right angle stubby XLRs from Darktrain! And the 70D is tiny as hell, so it won't take up more than 10"-12" in length even with full size XLRs on all 4 inputs, so don't let that scare you away! And a couple pair of chopped cables wont run you that much!

Go for it! I PROMISE you that you wont regret it 8)

Bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
I'm loving my DR-70D. Here's my take on the Fourth XLR conundrum: I made an aluminum cradle with a chassis-mount XLR attached, held via the bottom 1/4" thread.
The 4th XLR connector is transferred to the opposite side via a shorty male XLR and 6" of balanced lav cable that runs across the rear of the unit. It adds about 1-1/4" to the depth, but still easily fits into almost any bag. I also removed the flimsy rear door cover, making the battery hatch and SD card slot more accessible. (Obviously I've no interest in using the onboard mics! 8>]

cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:47:26 PM by groovon »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »
nice work  :)

since width, not depth, was my limiting factor (even with stubbies) this gives me reason to reconsider the R44 being a beeter option for me going 4 chan

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
WOW genius idea! - Hey TASCAM - maybe a new accessory!?

If you could squeeze a 6000mah rechargeable battery in there that would be slick!

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2015, 06:07:43 PM »

If you could squeeze a 6000mah rechargeable battery in there that would be slick!

There's room for a lithium pack in the rear, but it would block access to the AA batteries and SD card.

I tape a 13000mAh lithium power bank under the deck and connect w/ a short right-angle USB cable.

(sorry for the lousy pics!)

Dave
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:25:06 PM by groovon »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »

There's room for a lithium pack in the rear, but it would block access to the AA batteries and SD card.

I tape a 13000mAh lithium power bank under the deck and connect w/ a short right-angle USB cable.

(sorry for the lousy pics!)

Dave

My habit is to leave the AAs in as backup...and I guess you could leave the SD in card and transfer via USB?

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2015, 07:44:20 PM »
Quote from: Life In Rewind

[/quote

My habit is to leave the AAs in as backup...and I guess you could leave the SD in card and transfer via USB?

If you didn't need immediate access to either AAs or SD card, sure, the space at the back could be used for a (very) small lithium power bank. I actually looked for one that would fit right in, but any that will are very low capacity (~2200mAh), and IMO it would make more sense to redesign to fit a larger one. (BTW, if you needed super-long run times, the latest Anker 2nd gen. Pro2 20,000mAh fits perfectly underneath the (modded) DR-70.)

Dave
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:46:23 PM by groovon »

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
I'm loving my DR-70D. Here's my take on the Fourth XLR conundrum: I made an aluminum cradle with a chassis-mount XLR attached, held via the bottom 1/4" thread.
The 4th XLR connector is transferred to the opposite side via a shorty male XLR and 6" of balanced lav cable that runs across the rear of the unit. It adds about 1-1/4" to the depth, but still easily fits into almost any bag. I also removed the flimsy rear door cover, making the battery hatch and SD card slot more accessible. (Obviously I've no interest in using the onboard mics! 8>]

cheers
Dave

Man, that is slicker than greased gooseshit.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »

Man, that is slicker than greased gooseshit.
[/quote]

Why, THANK you :D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Nice.

Maybe there would be a way to make a battery pack from cells that would fit this or something like it?

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
Nice.

Maybe there would be a way to make a battery pack from cells that would fit this or something like it?

Seems a lot of trouble to go to when the 5V lithium power banks work so well. For compactness just use good AAs and carry a spare set(?)

Dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com