Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)  (Read 110651 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »
Sure.  But it would be great to come up with something to hold an external battery since probably all of us are using one. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
 :clapping: nice work, that's totally kick ass
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2015, 11:33:04 PM »
Nice.

Maybe there would be a way to make a battery pack from cells that would fit this or something like it?

Seems a lot of trouble to go to when the 5V lithium power banks work so well. For compactness just use good AAs and carry a spare set(?)

Dave

With all the different 5V battery form factors - there has to be one that will fit in there! 6000mah is plenty for any one night show - opener+headliner

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2015, 11:45:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys  :D

Sure.  But it would be great to come up with something to hold an external battery since probably all of us are using one.

I'm not clear whether you mean an external battery pack or a 5V USB power bank/charger. To my mind one of the DR-70's big advantages is it's ability to run off of these 5V USB power banks, which have all the protection and regulation circuitry necessary for safe recharging of the lithium cells, and can recharge from any number of sources. To me, they're a no-brainer for this application. If you know where you want to put it, you can probably find one that'll fit (close enough), or adapt whatever it is. Having said that, I'm always trying to think of ways to make my gizmos work better, and fit together neater  :D

Dave

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2015, 12:39:10 AM »
BTW, has anyone yet figured out what's up with the battery level indicator? I think Tom mentioned something about this glitch recently. With a freshly-charged set of AAs in my unit, turning it on, battery indicator show the AAs at only 2/3 full, if that. After switching to USB power and then back again, the indicator shows around 7/8 full(!) (NiMH batteries, indicator set to NiMH). Anyone else? (Sorry if I've missed a thread on this).

Dave

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:46 AM »
BTW, has anyone yet figured out what's up with the battery level indicator? I think Tom mentioned something about this glitch recently. With a freshly-charged set of AAs in my unit, turning it on, battery indicator show the AAs at only 2/3 full, if that. After switching to USB power and then back again, the indicator shows around 7/8 full(!) (NiMH batteries, indicator set to NiMH). Anyone else? (Sorry if I've missed a thread on this).

Dave

Is there a menu setting to select between alkaline and rechargeable battery formulas? (don't have mine in front of me)

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:36 AM »

Dave

Is there a menu setting to select between alkaline and rechargeable battery formulas? (don't have mine in front of me)

More or less--one setting is 'alkaline', the other is 'NiMH', if I recall correctly. Probably simply based on 1.2V per cell (NiMH) vs 1.5V (alkaline).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:57:11 AM by groovon »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2015, 12:57:46 AM »

Dave

Check out the FAQ (link below).  You can find this and other fun stuff under MENU > OTHERS.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2015, 01:26:12 AM »
Nice.

Maybe there would be a way to make a battery pack from cells that would fit this or something like it?

You just reminded me... Awhile back I dismantled a cheap 6600mAh power bank to see if I could reconfigure the lithium cells into a more compatible (in this case, more elongated) shape. I thought if that part was possible, it might be worth removing the regulating PCB w/ connectors and reassembling and epoxying the whole thing into a new container. I didn't do it because in that particular case the cells weren't reconfigurable, but maybe the idea is worthwhile (Caution: try this ONLY if you sorta maybe know what the heck you're doing, etc etc, are extremely careful, and are wearing protective eyewear (seriously)  :D

Dave
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:28:11 AM by groovon »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2015, 03:12:24 AM »
Your gizmo is excellent!

It would be cool if there was a way to build it such as to create a cradle for a typical form-factor USB battery pack...

. . .but perhaps the battery holder could be a separate accessory, attached to the hotshoe assembly on top of the unit?

Does a single one of us plan on attaching the DR-70D onto a tripod, with a video camera on top? It sounds to me like we all have some standard screw-threads and sockets where we can mount things...

jus' sayin'!!?!  >:D
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
That is slick, Groovon. I'd like mine in black anodized, please  :D
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #266 on: July 03, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
A cradle/holder for an existing cell phone battery is most likely the safest and least hassle option.  Seems like the actual cells can explode if mishandled and no one wants that.

Besides aluminum, polycarbonate could be used to make a cradle.

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2015, 10:13:57 AM »

Put me down for one too  8)
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »
Your gizmo is excellent!

It would be cool if there was a way to build it such as to create a cradle for a typical form-factor USB battery pack...

. . .but perhaps the battery holder could be a separate accessory, attached to the hotshoe assembly on top of the unit?

Does a single one of us plan on attaching the DR-70D onto a tripod, with a video camera on top? It sounds to me like we all have some standard screw-threads and sockets where we can mount things...

jus' sayin'!!?!  >:D

Hey thanks.

IS there a typical USB battery form factor? I thought I was lucky just to find one with enough capacity, that has the switch and indicator facing the right way, works reliably, and doesn't look too bad. But it's easy enough to make allowance for different size and shape power banks. Gaffer tape is wonderful stuff  :D

Re the 1/4" mounting, I took mine off as I like to keep the unit as slim as possible--I'd prefer the underneath clear, too, if I could. An increase in the front-to-back depth wouldn't bother me as much. I guess it all depends on how you're going to carry the thing and set it up for use.

PS--those pics with the DR-70 perched on top of a DSLR look kinda ludicrous! As small as it might be, it'll still tear the top off your camera if you bang it hard enough. People seem to have have no mechanical sense these days  :(

Dave
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:13:01 PM by groovon »

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #269 on: July 03, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »

Put me down for one too  8)

Serious? Sure I could make 'em-- anodized, too. What's it worth?  ;)

Dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com