Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crazy Experience With Cable Wires Inside Stock Cables  (Read 2127 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Crazy Experience With Cable Wires Inside Stock Cables
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »
I had a kinda frustratingly funny experience today in making up a cable for my rig.  I wanted a short 3.5mm female to 3.5mm female cable and couldn't find anything that met my desire for length.  So, I went out and bought two cables...3.5mm male to 3.5mm female.  I cut both cables and spliced the female ends together, of course connecting the red, white and yellow wires together.  But after it was put back together, I checked it out and it didn't seem to work right.

These cables have the ends encapsulated so I couldn't check the connector wiring.  Instead, I checked continuity on the male ends that were left over and discovered that, even though I'd bought the exact same cables in the exact same packaging from the same store, and when I cut the cables open both cables looked exactly the same on the inside (red, white, and yellow wires), the white wire was the ground connection on one of the cables and the yellow wire was the ground connection on the other!

Same cables, same colors, but a different wiring/color scheme on the inside.

Obviously, it doesn't matter what the color is as long as it's soldered right on each end, but for anyone that's doing this kind of splice job, don't just assume that the colors of two cables go to the same place on two different cables.   

I'm sure I got two cables that were packaged from two different production runs, but it was still a kinda wierd discovery.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:50:57 PM by stevetoney »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 24 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com