Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: master md's>analog out>24 bit???  (Read 28656 times)

Offline Brett S.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • As seen in VT
master md's>analog out>24 bit???
« on: December 16, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »
Used a sony md for a while w/my rig, along w/ patching. Obviously the patching stuff has better sources so those discs aren't an issue!

I have some stuff which I recorded w/md as deck.

Since I have to use analog out to transfer, is it possible to do md>analog> into ua5 or audiophile24/96 as soundcards + SF or Wavelab  and increse the quality of the recording to 24 bit.

I know Mds are usually 16 bit, 44.1 COMPRESSED audio, but since it is analog only out (on most consumer mds, do not have access to pro deck) just like old cassettes can I go analog>24 bit>edit etc????

Or is this just a huge waste of time???? 
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@started_off_on_heineken
Mics: MBHO KA500 - Sennheiser K3U/ME40,ME20 - (Mod) Oktava MC12's
Pres: BM2P+ UA5
Recorders: Oade Concert Mod R44 - M-Audio Microtrack II - Sony TCD-D7

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: master md's>analog out>24 bit???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:01:54 AM »
Firstly, +t for wanting to get the best possible quality out of your recordings. That's definately the right attitude!

Personally I don't think you'll gain anything... you can't magic an extra 8 bits of quality out of thin air... as you rightly point out MD is only 16-bit.

One option to maybe think about: I bought a sony MDS JE-470 specifically to help a friend transfer a MD master. I bought it off ebay, and it was really quite inexpensive. Despite not having optical out, this unit had space on the circuit board for an optical out connector (in fact it turned out the same circuit board was used for the higher-end MDS JE-770). Once I had the components it was an evenings work to drill a hole in the rear panel, solder the bits on AND do the transfer. I've been meaning to write more about this for a while... if there is interest let me know.

Having said all that, if analogue is your only option right now, it makes perfect sense to use the best quality gear in the chain you can. The ua5 sounds like a good choice to me. Just run everything at 16-bit and be happy.

cheers,
stephen

Offline Brett S.

• Taperssection Regular
  • As seen in VT
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
Thanks!

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 06:54:05 PM »
I can upload the recordings to my computer via usb and burn a DVD with flacs and send them back to you.  That should save you $50 or so depending on the deck you buy.  Maybe put a few stamps or a buck in there for return postage.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Brett S.

• Taperssection Regular
  • As seen in VT
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 01:43:16 AM »
"I can upload the recordings to my computer via usb and burn a DVD with flacs and send them back to you."

Thanks! I'll keep you in mind.  Just started digging through them all, so I 'll have to see what I have that is worth all the trouble.....

Thanks for all your input!

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:17:07 AM »
I have run old md's into my ua-5 > jb3,but was not happy with all of the quality of most of them

sml42

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 09:38:43 AM »
I can upload the recordings to my computer via usb

It sounds like you're talking about Hi-MD?

I'm guessing the original poster was not using Hi-MD, otherwise they would have just transferred via usb already! (my rationale: I was led to believe all Hi-MD devices had a usb connector... correct me if I'm wrong).

You cannot use a Hi-MD player to transfer non-Hi-MD media over usb:
http://www.minidisc.org/hi-md_faq.html

Edit: I did a bit of searching, at least some Hi-MD devices can upload std-MD media (e.g. MZ-RH1). Sorry for the misinformation,

best regards,
stephen
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:49:27 AM by just sml »

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »
Yes the new RH1 (which I have) will upload anything recorded on a MD disc...prerecorded....scms....whatever.  Its pretty nice that sony "unlocked" all that stuff.  Its a pretty quick upload too, it takes about 10 min or so to upload and convert, to wav, an 80 min recording to the computer.  I uploaded about 300 recordings over the span of about a month and they all uploaded flawlessly.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »
Yes the new RH1 (which I have) will upload anything recorded on a MD disc...prerecorded....scms....whatever.  Its pretty nice that sony "unlocked" all that stuff.  Its a pretty quick upload too, it takes about 10 min or so to upload and convert, to wav, an 80 min recording to the computer.  I uploaded about 300 recordings over the span of about a month and they all uploaded flawlessly.
Before you get too excited I suggest you run a frequency analysis on those legacy MD transfers done with the MZ-RH1. I was really fucking pissed... Now I'm back to using my MDS-JB980QS for real-time transfers again when necessary.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
Before you get too excited I suggest you run a frequency analysis on those legacy MD transfers done with the MZ-RH1. I was really fucking pissed... Now I'm back to using my MDS-JB980QS for real-time transfers again when necessary.

Why?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 05:14:57 PM »

Why?
The legacyMD>RH1>usb transfers via SonicStage (any version) cut off at around 15kHz - completely, in most cases. The various ATRAC DSP types of stand-alone decks ((Type-S in case of my deck) will get you better quality transfers, in my opinion this is definitely worth the extra time, I found this particularly noticeable with SP recordings and even more so with ones that were done outdoor (don't know why but those just sounded very bad when transferred via the RH1). The spectrum of the WAV is also different even from a quick glimpse.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 06:07:02 PM »

Why?
The legacyMD>RH1>usb transfers via SonicStage (any version) cut off at around 15kHz - completely, in most cases. The various ATRAC DSP types of stand-alone decks ((Type-S in case of my deck) will get you better quality transfers, in my opinion this is definitely worth the extra time, I found this particularly noticeable with SP recordings and even more so with ones that were done outdoor (don't know why but those just sounded very bad when transferred via the RH1). The spectrum of the WAV is also different even from a quick glimpse.

Well thats good to know.  I dont care enough to go back and re-do transfers but thanks for the info.  I wonder why SS does that?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Brett S.

• Taperssection Regular
  • As seen in VT
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 11:30:26 PM »
hmmm

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 01:21:44 AM »
Is there any documentation on SS cutting off frequencies?  im curious to see what else has been said about this.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 06:05:34 AM »
Is there any documentation on SS cutting off frequencies?  im curious to see what else has been said about this.
It's not SS that does it, after re-reading my earlier post I can see where that misconception is coming from, sorry aobut that. It's Sony's ATRAC codec for the pc. Doesn't matter which program you use, either (HiMD Renderer, etc.). Some moderator on the German minidiscforum said that when you upload to the PC the ATRAC files are converted to ATRAC3+ before they are converted to WAV, might only be applicable to SP uploads but LP2 doesn't look that great to me, either. I don't really care about 'why' it does it, I just know that my deck transfers sound like night and day compared to the USB uploads.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com