Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 97871 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
My buddy who already owned a 722 got the NP battery adapter and he's not had one single blip of a power issue. Sure its a little bulky, but it sits higher in his bag, and sits firm because of the base created by the perpendicular position of the NP battery.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
Now who is willing to try the new firmware?

dallman has run the new firmware for 3 shows this week and I think that everything was good for him but I'll let him comment on that since I wasn't at any of the 3 shows with him...

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
^ I installed 1.52 when it was released, but, unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to record a show yet (there are a couple coming up on the agenda, though).  I have run several lengthy (2 to 2.5 hour) tests at home and haven't had anything strange happen...

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
Now who is willing to try the new firmware?

dallman has run the new firmware for 3 shows this week and I think that everything was good for him but I'll let him comment on that since I wasn't at any of the 3 shows with him...

I have run 1.52 with no issues at all. Monday I recorded using 4 mics at a fundraiser, and I recorded 4 sets totaling about 4 hours. Tuesday I recorded Orphan, Common Kings and Matisyahu using 6 mics. All the recordings were flawless. Based on the experience of others, I never ran 1.51, I had installed it but backed up to 1.20. I will run again tonight for the 38th Annual John Lennon Tribute at First Ave and I expect no issues.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:33:44 AM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
Glad to hear!  Still holding out for a bit.

I made the change because I was fed up with the automatic folder of the day creation, even if I was recording nothing.

That is annoying! 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »
I just viewed this recent thread over on SOS Magazine Forum, and it holds some interesting news from SD, as well as Hugh's positive nod for the product engineering.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=58616&p=534967#p534967

I've recently reviewed the MixPre3 and 6 models and I was really REALLY impressed with them. I think the review is scheduled for the coming issue...

I've always been a fan of Sound Devices gear which is almost ubiquitous in professional location TV sound work these days. The Mix Pre 3 and 6 have all the compactness of the Zoom recorders, but better ergonomics, and professional design details throughout without too hefty a price. Genuinely stunningly good mic preamps too. A real joy to use (although the AA battery pack is a bit optimistic, and I'd have preferred dual memory card slots!)

The MixPre 10 was an inevitable next step and it looks fabulous... although I'm not convinced about the transport joystick (I have fears of it being easily knocked) Sound Devices is such an experienced company with location recording equipment that I'm sure it works perfectly in practice.

Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 19714Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:00 pmLocation: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Some news....

Pre-record is a useful feature, of course, but perhaps not as critically important as it once was when memory cards were small and expensive. Memory cards are now so big and so cheap that it's really no hardship to start recording once set up, and just leave it running until the end of the day, using markers to identify takes as and when, as an aid to find relevant sections in the DAW afterwards. I often do exactly that if I'm concerned that I might miss the start of a good take.

However, I had a conversation with the nice folk at SD when I reviewed the mixpre-3 and -6, raising the lack of a pre-record mode amongst a few other wish-list items. Rest assured, a pre-record mode is on the update list and will apparently be introduced in a (near) future firmware update.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 19714Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:00 pmLocation: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
Mentions hold function.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »
Regarding markers it's not implemented yet, pressing Rec creates new takes,
Having that in future updates would be a great feature.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2017, 08:01:53 AM »
Mentions hold function.

Most of us here are still interested in "front panel control lock" options in a future firmware update.

Lock All – All front panel keys are locked except the Record key. The Record key is kept active so the user can initiate recording after entering this mode and enter cue markers. To stop recording in this mode, you must disengage the panel lock and hit the stop key.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:12:14 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline groundhog2

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
Just picked up a pre6 as a gift but been using it the last couple weeks.  Seems easy enough to use without reading the manual.  Then I read and was bummed about there not being a hold button.  Also not sure I like the lack of a spidf in.  Maybe I'll pick one up at some point for myself.  Definitely like the size.  Thanks for all the useful powering posts.

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2017, 05:37:10 AM »
Hello,
I wanted to share an easy setup I use for interviews with a small Samsonite bag.
Kind regards,
JM.

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »
Spotted Sandisk 64 GB microSD + adaptor 2-pack for $40 at my local Costco.  U1 speed, fwiw. Seems slightly less expensive than what I noticed the last time I was card shopping.

Does anyone care to comment on using microSD in an adaptor with their MixPre?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »

Does anyone care to comment on using microSD in an adaptor with their MixPre?

No problems using one here.  128gb Sandisc microSD is all I've used in it so far and no problems encountered.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
Mentions hold function.

Most of us here are still interested in "front panel control lock" options in a future firmware update.

Lock All – All front panel keys are locked except the Record key. The Record key is kept active so the user can initiate recording after entering this mode and enter cue markers. To stop recording in this mode, you must disengage the panel lock and hit the stop key.

I’ll do an update if the hold or lock all function comes out. That’s a big feature for tapers. However, normally I never do firmware updates. Like Doug Oade always said, too much shit can go wrong and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Offline soundsvisual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.

Is that USB-C on both ends? My Poweradd battery is normal USB out. Can't see one of that configuration. Thanks for link though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com