Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Portable Pre-amp recommendation

<< < (2/2)

rocksuitcase:

--- Quote from: Leined on June 25, 2021, 04:06:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on June 25, 2021, 02:06:01 PM ---Also welcome from e,
voltronic has a good solid suggestion. I am completely unfamiliar with the A-10, so am not aware if it has digi in.

Just to go with the OP question, the most basic, lower priced options many folks on this site have used are a Shure FP24 or a SD MixPre/MixPreD. (the D if you have digi in)

--- End quote ---

Thank you as well for the welcome! The A-10, unfortunately, doesn't have a digi in -- just the 1/8" unbalanced input. I'll look into those options you mentioned!

--- End quote ---
OK. then you would be looking for a SD MixPre OR a Shure FP-24 which will have an 1/8" input. They are the same form and function with small variations (mainly in powering options) built by SD and branded by Shure in the case of the FP-24
We own a MixPre and I LOVE it for taking small XLR p48 mics into the M-10
edit to add: but voltronic's method IS simplest.

voltronic:
If you really want to keep your A10 and want a separate battery-powered preamp, I enthusiastically the SD MixPre (the old preamp; NOT the MixPre-II recorders). It also was branded Shure FP-24 for a time. These are long discontinued, but they come up for sale here in the YS from time to time. They are amazing units: built like a tank, tons of noiseless gain, analog limiters, and only need 2 rechargeable AAs. For the money you are going to spend on that though (likely around $300) you could have the DR-100 mkIII and have a one-box solution.

MakersMarc:
does the MP-2 have both 1/8 in and out? Not sure if the tape return in works as a mic or line in.

DSatz:
Yes, it has a 1/8" "TAPE OUT" on the left panel and a 1/8" "TAPE RTN" on the right, with screwdriver settings for adjusting the tape return sensitivity. The manual doesn't say, but presumably it's consumer aux level (nominally around 300 mV).

But I don't think the "tape return" functions as an ordinary program input. Signals fed in to it can be monitored at the headphone jack, but I don't think they go through to the outputs. So the "TAPE OUT" is a legitimate, unbalanced output at consumer aux level, but if you have unbalanced microphone signals, you'd need an adapter to feed the XLR sockets.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: DSatz on July 05, 2021, 06:52:22 AM ---So the "TAPE OUT" is a legitimate, unbalanced output at consumer aux level, but if you have unbalanced microphone signals, you'd need an adapter to feed the XLR sockets.

--- End quote ---

Just to add that the XLR Line Out on these preamps put out a very hot level, so you should only connect them to XLR or TRS line inputs on pro gear that can handle it. For everything else, use the 1/8" Tape Out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version