Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Toshiba 3960 help  (Read 2570 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Toshiba 3960 help
« on: February 21, 2005, 11:03:28 AM »
This is probably a silly question but..........I have been told the 3960 upsamples redbook to 24/192.  Does this include cdr's as well?  I'm guessing not.  Also.......to take advantage of the upsampling I assume it's best to connect the 3960 to my reciever via rca cables instead of digi coax?

Anyone know how the 3960's upsampling compares to the BelCanto DAC 2.0 (Tim?)?  I assume the BelCanto blows it out of the water.

Lastly.....I really want to try some 24/192 and I don't think the 3960 will play any DVD audio any recomendations?

Thanks in advance for any help!  :D

:edit:  anyone know how the Panasonic DVD f87 does? 

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=69528&catGroupId=11059&modelNo=DVD-F87K&surfModel=DVD-F87K
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:14:33 AM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Toshiba 3960 help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »
Toshiba 4960
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 08:38:04 AM »
This is probably a silly question but..........I have been told the 3960 upsamples redbook to 24/192.  Does this include cdr's as well?  I'm guessing not.  Also.......to take advantage of the upsampling I assume it's best to connect the 3960 to my reciever via rca cables instead of digi coax?

correct.
the 3960 does not pass an upsampled signal via coax.  only analog.

Anyone know how the 3960's upsampling compares to the BelCanto DAC 2.0 (Tim?)?  I assume the BelCanto blows it out of the water.

Hmmmm....
you'd think so.
however...try to A/B it.  you might be surprised.  It is that good.  I bet a heavily modified one would rival, or best the bel canto.  And by heavily modified, i'm talking about sinking maybe $400 into it.
IMO, to get the best out of what you have, get yourself a big ben or DIP (the DIP is MUCH cheaper, and sounds great...even next to the Apogee) and then pass a nice, stable jitter free signal to the BC.  then you'll be cooking with butter!
I sent my DIP to Doug Oade...he just posted his thoughts on his board.  check it out.
ebay is a good source for these.  they go VERY fast on agon.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 04:00:35 PM »
I a/b the Bel Canto and the analog out of the toshiba every day... it's not really close but we're talking about a $60 cd player and a $1200 (new, $800 used) dac. the toshiba sounds pretty good for the money, certainly better than any other lowend dvd/cd players I've used (a few sony models).

The Bel Canto's high end is much more subdued, cymbals lose that high end sizzle. The bass on the bel canto is more defined and the soundstage is a touch wider and the imaging is noticeably tighter.

the toshiba has nothing to be ashamed of though, when I switch over to the straight toshiba I can still enjoy the music.

I've never really listened to highend analog but I would say that the toshiba sounds like good digital whereas the Bel Canto DAC 2 sounds much more analog and musical.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 05:27:21 PM »
Thanks guys....I was hoping you two would chime in (nick & Tim).  :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 05:52:15 PM »
once in awhile I say something useful, you have to be looking for it though or it will pass you right by

glad to be of service Mr. Costigan
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »
once in awhile I say something useful, you have to be looking for it though or it will pass you right by

QFT  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com