Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: For those of you who buy/listen to SACD and DVD-a discs...  (Read 4563 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
For those of you who buy/listen to SACD and DVD-a discs...
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:20:10 AM »
I have been a laggard and am still listening to and buying regular audio CD's, but have been thinking about purchasing a universal SACD/DVD-a player. But if I buy these discs and use a portable music player (aka iPod) is there a way to rip tracks from your discs to store on there?

Likewise, if you like to have a computer music server as a jukebox, is there a way to store files from these discs on your computer besides recording them via the analog out and retracking them? (what a pain that would be!!)

I have a feeling the answer to both is no, if I am right, boy do the people releasing high-res content have their heads up their asses!!!! I hope I am wrong.  :P 

I guess there are those hybrid discs that have a high-res and CD-audio layer, these would possibly allow track ripping of the 16/44 material?

Peace,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: For those of you who buy/listen to SACD and DVD-a discs...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:01:30 AM »
the SACDs use a special encoding process that is put in place during the mastering. You can not rip those tracks. However, as far as I know, the DVD-a is standard PCM audio, so it shouldnt be a problem with programs like Lplex. BUT..the ipod does not play over 16/44.1 , I dont think..

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:04:18 AM »
yeah, i think teddy is right.  you definitely cannot rip the sacd layer and i doubt you can rip 24bit audio.  many sacd's have the regular audio layer on there and i have had no problem ripping from there through Itunes.

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »
analog out> soundcard> Soundforge> cdwave> itunes  That's aboutt he only way I could think to do it.  It'd be a pain in the ass but you could get it done.  My problem was with Dualdiscs.  I didn't have a cd drive that would read them, laptop drive, external burner, etc.  Nothing would read the cd side.  But I jut bought a Mac and its drive reads both sides just fine.  Now I can have my Talking Heads box and others on my ipod.

Shane

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »
You can not rip DSD *OR* DVD-A audio (this is why most of us back up our stuff on FLAC for future resseeding). However, it is no problem to rip the Red Book layer of a Hybrid SACD. I've done this many times using EAC with no problems at all. The good news is that the majority of SACDs are Hybrid discs.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 04:36:55 PM »
DVD-A audio

Lplex will allow it, no?

From the website:
"extracts unencrypted LPCM audio from dvd-video to wav/flac. "

Don't think it rips DVD-A

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

BobW

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:26:24 AM »
The only digital DVD-A ripper that I know is the WinDVD7 plug-in that, I believe, was yanked from websites, presumably for DMCA infractions.

The best "rips" of DVD-A's that I have are playbacks fed to a quiet tube linestage, and rerecorded as I need, most often CD 16/44.1
The linestage warms up the recording just a smidgen, and the overall playback is much more enjoyable.
The beauty of it, is that by going analogue, you are allowed to may a personal back-up copy and thus aren't breaking the DMCA, to the best that I understand.

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 12:59:13 AM »
it is possible to rip the hi-res audio from dvd-a's.  not sure how to do it but here's proof

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/458379/6587244/
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 09:11:11 AM »
I many have spoke too soon... looks like Wavelab can read/rip DVD-A. I'm still playing arond with it but I did manage to concirm a transfer one test track from a DVD-A to my home PC

BobW

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 12:13:16 AM »
I many have spoke too soon... looks like Wavelab can read/rip DVD-A. I'm still playing arond with it but I did manage to concirm a transfer one test track from a DVD-A to my home PC

Was that PCM 24/96 or MLP?
Are you positive that it didn't take the AC-3 track, if that exists on the disc?

Hmm, maybe it's time to ditch Audition after all...

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 01:41:32 AM »
It was a DVD-A created on my 722 and burned with Disk Wielder Chrome. The "DVD-A" discs made by Audio DVD Creator, that are actually DVD-V discs, do *NOT* seem to have to way of pulling back off of the DVD/copying to other media. No normal DVD ripping program I have tried can deal with the 24/96. I have some of Carl's masters that I have been asked to reseed that I would love to get onto my HD but I burned them with Audio DVD Creator before I got Disk Wielder so if anyone knows how to get that data back let me know!

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
Ive seen rips of DVD-A material, but SACD is not rippable
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »
masters that I have been asked to reseed that I would love to get onto my HD but I burned them with Audio DVD Creator before I got Disk Wielder so if anyone knows how to get that data back let me know!

If nothing else works, as a last resort you should be able to take the SPDIF output of your DVDA player and feed your 722 to get the LPCM into a file.  That should be bit accurate, but you might do a couple of transfers and compare the files.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 10:37:41 PM »
masters that I have been asked to reseed that I would love to get onto my HD but I burned them with Audio DVD Creator before I got Disk Wielder so if anyone knows how to get that data back let me know!

If nothing else works, as a last resort you should be able to take the SPDIF output of your DVDA player and feed your 722 to get the LPCM into a file.  That should be bit accurate, but you might do a couple of transfers and compare the files.

some players will downsample 24/96 to 24/48 on the digi out, just something to watch out for.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com