Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 129689 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2010, 12:38:28 PM »
http://mixguides.com/microphones/tips_and_techniques/audio_recording_piano_november_2/

Cool article, especially like hearing from Jim Dickinson (father of Luther and Cody from NMAS, who died last year). 

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
One disagreement I have with Richard King is that he records the treble (high notes) of the piano on the left side of the stereo image, which I think is contrary to human psychology and experience --- and drives piano players nuts!

Well, this is how the audience will hear a grand piano when it is played on a stage with open lid. Your choice might be different.

// Gunnar

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
One disagreement I have with Richard King is that he records the treble (high notes) of the piano on the left side of the stereo image, which I think is contrary to human psychology and experience --- and drives piano players nuts!

Well, this is how the audience will hear a grand piano when it is played on a stage with open lid. Your choice might be different.

// Gunnar

Even very close to the stage, and even in a chamber music setting, you are pretty much hearing in mono.

On the other hand, our ears tend to prefer higher frequency sounds on the right. Furthermore, given the number of people who listen to CD's who have had some experience of playing the piano, IMHO I think piano recordings made from the player's perspective are preferable.

Phillip
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:04:57 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2010, 03:27:23 AM »
On the other hand, our ears tend to prefer higher frequency sounds on the right.

Hmm? So it is all wrong in concert hall when the violins sit to the left and basses to the right?  Sorry I have to totally disagree with that statement. It would be one thing if you said that you as one person preferr it this way. In order to make a statement like that I believe you should have a statistically larger sample than 1.

But as very often, it is a question about taste, and we all have one but not necessarily the same.

To be clear, I respect your taste in this respect and by all means follow your own taste when recording, but I have a different taste and follow mine.

// Gunnar

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2010, 06:08:38 AM »
I have rarely seen such diplomacy!!
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »
Richard records CDs for the fan/audience listeners - the audience usually receive more treble on the left side. But if a CD was made for a pianist (only) there will be a situation where an engineer might position the mics behind the pianist. In this situation the left mics will be closer to the bass section of the piano. So it's really the producers/engineer/artists that determine how they will like to be sound. Most commercial CDs are made for the audience not for the pianist. Another thing you might realize when recording a grand piano is that the hammer/keyboard side of the piano sounds more boomy than the tail end the piano when you position the stereo pair about 6 feet away. So actually the sound from the right mics will sound a little more sparkle than the left mics.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »
On the other hand, our ears tend to prefer higher frequency sounds on the right.

Hmm? So it is all wrong in concert hall when the violins sit to the left and basses to the right?  Sorry I have to totally disagree with that statement. It would be one thing if you said that you as one person preferr it this way. In order to make a statement like that I believe you should have a statistically larger sample than 1.

But as very often, it is a question about taste, and we all have one but not necessarily the same.

To be clear, I respect your taste in this respect and by all means follow your own taste when recording, but I have a different taste and follow mine.

// Gunnar
Hi Gunnar,

I won't blame you if you don't believe me, but I recently read that fact about human preference on the web somewhere. Of course I can't find it now,  and unfortunately I can't spend any more time this morning trying. If I come across the site, I'll PM you.

Your point was that the audience hears a piano with the treble on the left and the bass on the right. But for 90% of the audience at a piano recital, they are too far away to hear anything but mono. Even standing in the curve of the grand piano, you are hearing the full length of the bass strings. So you won't hear only the treble on the left. It will be a mix of bass and treble strings.

If a producer truly wants to record the way the audience hears, he/she should use a kunstkopf and make a binaural recording.

And then have two people on either side of the kunstkopf, fidgeting and coughing....
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline vibrato

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
Back to topic - sort of  -

NicStage are you still checking out this thread?

Will external clocking improve the ability to use two of these with a Mac?  Specifically would you be able to avoid the Resample function when trying to aggregate them in Core Audio?  I guess I should contact SD directly...

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2010, 06:16:47 AM »
Hey vibrato...

what do you mean? would you link the two together digitally and then link one to the Mac through USB??
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline vibrato

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
I was thinking of externally clocking two USBPre2 units so the samples would be in sync, and then using a USB port for each unit into the Mac and then use the Core Audio Aggregate function.  I'm trying to avoid the scary sounding resampling feature, although I don't even know if the resampling hurts the audio quality or reliability.

Offline duch

• Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
My guess is that the audio aggregate function will resample anyway and won't care if the clock are synced or not. This question is more related to Mac OSX than SD USBPre 2.

kirk97132

« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
I don't know the program but suspect that the resampling will be a function of the program not the SD units.  As for what "bad" things can happen, I don't really know but in a perfect world we are after a bit perfect signal chain. 

kirk97132

« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
Mine will be shipped TODAY!

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
Jerry Bruck called me yesterday to say he heard from SD that these have just started shipping, I should have mine Friday or next week.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to tape a piano from behind the pianist.  When I've had to sit in that location, the acoustic is unacceptable.  When a pianist conducts from the piano and has it turned so he can face the orchestra, with the keyboard out to the audience, the result is beyond dreadful, even with louvres over the soundboard to try to project the sound out.  I've never seen anyone try to mic a piano there. 

Jeff

kirk97132

« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
Since someone else asked, I thought I'd also post it here.  I can get Zaolla Silverline cable for just above cost.  He inquired about a SPDIF cable for his new pre. 

From their solid silver core Silverline cables....
part#:ZDRA-101.5 S/PDIF CABLE
Length:1.5FT 
MSRP: new price sheet on way.  Zaolla had a price increase imagine that.   

your cost: please PM includes shipping.  I would have to order it, Kirk

The same cable is $37 plus shipping at Pro audio Toys.  I can get any of the Zaolla cables just drop me a line if you need info.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:30:48 PM by kirkd »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com