Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice on for an installed Mic setup  (Read 3194 times)

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Need advice on for an installed Mic setup
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:31 PM »
So I volunteer running sound at a local non profit placehttp://legionarts.org/.  They run a full Roland M480 setup.  They want to install a placement mic to record shows/ALD stuff.  I want to convince them to get something decent rather than what there vendor is telling them.   I need a mic that isn't goin to break the bank(500 dollar limit).  This is the mic they want to install. 
Audix M70W  http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/specs_pdf/M70.pdf
Transducer Type Condenser
Frequency Response 60 Hz - 10 kHz
Polar Pattern Cardioid
Output Impedance 150 ohms
Sensitivity 38 mV / Pa @ 1k
Signal/Noise Ratio (A-weighted) 72 dB
Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted) 22 dB
Maximum SPL @ .5% THD ≥130 dB
Dynamic Range 108 dB
Power Requirements 18 - 52v phantom
Connector Phoenix Connector
Polarity Positive pressure on
diaphragm produces
positive voltage on pin
2 relative to pin 3
Housing / Finish Aluminum and Steel
Powder coat
Weight 3.3 ounces / 94 g
Length 2.6 inches / 65 mm

Any help would be greatly appreciated
~Clint

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Need advice on for an installed Mic setup
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »
One? so they plan to only record in mono?  You'll want either two or a single stereo mic for decent music recordings as well as more easily understood, less fatigueing voice-only recordings as well.

That microphone may not necessarily be a bad choice in itself, but optimal placement and arrangement of two of them is critical.  It's proper placement that will likey be the main issue to deal with.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
ditto.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
These would be great for a permanent install:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160615.0
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
  I am already pushing for a stereo mic something like what busman offers, so that way we could mount in the middle of the room and a ways back and capture everything. I am still looking for ideas for maybe for a boundary mic instead.  Also in the running is a pair of berliner 33's
~Clint 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
Like the Audix install mic, a boundary mic needs a surface to mount on.  Having a surface in a good location, oriented in the appropriate direction is the biggest constraint to work around in this situation.  A hanging single-point stereo mic is probably easier to place optimally, although I'd prefer a near-spaced pair which could be hung similarly using a small mic bar with a similar visual footprint to a coincident mic.  The near-spaced verses coincident configuration aspect is more of a personal preference for a generally more spacious and eveloping sound when there is some space between the mics, but either can make suitible recordings.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »
blumlein a stereo mic, and get it all, eh?   :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
blumlein a stereo mic, and get it all, eh?   :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

That's an excellent exception to the near-spaced over coincident preference I stated (good call on that), but unlikely to be appropriate in this case I'd think, but who knows.  Crossed hypercards can also be an exception, and would be more likey to work well, but not many single point stereo mics offer that for some reason.  Mid/Side could work though (using a cardioid mid which decodes to crossed hypers) and might be the best option with something like the busman stereo mic or equivalent.  I just don't like X/Y caridioids for main or room mics, it's a config more appropriate to close-mic'ing far as I'm concerned.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160588.0

And a cheap busmod UA5... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »
I just bought a pair of Naiant's X-R mics to mount in a venue to replace the more expensive mic they managed to destroy with their negligence. 

The Naiant mic setup is modular, small, has P48 powering, can be hung like a choir mic.  $150.  I have not listened to these yet, but if they're like Jon's other products, they should be great. And the price is pretty undeniable.  http://www.naiant.com/xrspecification.html  I'm going to actually use it on Tuesday, and will report back then (plus hopefully offering a completely and totally "invalid comp" against my MK5s.  >:D

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
I just bought a pair of Naiant's X-R mics to mount in a venue to replace the more expensive mic they managed to destroy with their negligence. 

The LSD2? Bummer. Is it serviceable? Which caps for the Naiants?

I'm going to actually use it on Tuesday, and will report back then (plus hopefully offering a completely and totally "invalid comp" against my MK5s.  >:D

Let me know if you need any pointers to invalidate your comp  ;D
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
The LSD2? Bummer. Is it serviceable? Which caps for the Naiants?
Yes, Pro Sound is servicing it.  The mic itself is fine, but some idiot tried to jam a 3pin XLR into its custom 7pin connector and smashed all the pins.  So I have to pay $100 to have the connector replaced.  Then it'll be to the YS/eBay.  Great-sounding mic, but after this I realized I just can't put something "nice" in a place where idiots are so frequently part of the picture.

Let me know if you need any pointers to invalidate your comp  ;D
At least Bernhard Vollmer probably won't assume his mics are going to lose before even hearing the comp......
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.286 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com