Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 102576 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #360 on: August 30, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »
hey does anyone have any comps of the busman mod vs. a stock unit?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #361 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
I would just try a sample run before you even get to the venue.
I agree. I've had my DR-680 for a week and have run several shows, and still getting used to quirks. Luckily I've been taping stuff that's not all that crucial if I screw up, because I have!  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:11:45 PM by Sloan Simpson »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
About 3 or 4 songs into a private recording session for an organ trio lastnight I realized the I was not recording the SPIDF input from the V3 but a stereo mix of the other 4 mic inputs into that recorder.  Noticed the little MIX indicator next to the stereo track.  Do'h!  At least that was an extra 'ambient' ORTF pair and not critical to the session.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #363 on: August 30, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
My biggest complaint with the 680 is definitely the limitations surrounding the digital input. Offhand:

- The meters for the stereo track mirror what is being monitored aurally. That is, even if you're recording the digital in to the stereo track, if you're listening to a mix of the analog inputs, the meters will show the mix, not the digital input. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to visually monitor the mix when it isn't being recorded.

- While recording, you have to go into the menu to switch between monitoring the mix and the digital input, but during playback it's the STEREO/MULTI button on top. It's too bad the button on top can't be used during recording as well.

- There's no way to play back all 8 tracks at once, even when using a DAC.

I usually don't use the digital input or record on all 8 tracks, but it would still be nice if some of those things had been thought out a bit more.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #364 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
My issue last night was one of pilot error.  Stopped between songs, corrected it and continued recording before flying into a metaphorical mountain.

My biggest complaint with the 680 is definitely the limitations surrounding the digital input. Offhand:

- The meters for the stereo track mirror what is being monitored aurally. That is, even if you're recording the digital in to the stereo track, if you're listening to a mix of the analog inputs, the meters will show the mix, not the digital input. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to visually monitor the mix when it isn't being recorded.

Well, that can be helpful to confirm that the recorded the stereo mix is not clipping. And I'm not certain, but I think that mix is being output from the digital out (in addition to the headphone jack) even if it isn't being recorded.  Since multiple channels are being summed in the mix, the 2-channel mix can clip even though your individual channels are peaking below clipping, and if that is happening the visual stereo channel meter will indicate it, in which case you'd want to reduce either the mix level of the stereo channel or the mix levels of the individual channel levels feeding it (instead of having to lower the individual channel input trims, although that would accomplish the same goal of not clipping the mix).

What I was supprised to find was that there seems to be no way to monitor the digital input through headphones, at least in muti-channel mode with the digital input going to the stereo channel.  I agree that capability would be very useful.  I would have used that last night, and trying to do that is what made me to realize my pilot error. Might be possible with the digital-in routed to 5/6 or with the machine in stereo recording mode, but I haven't tried that.

- While recording, you have to go into the menu to switch between monitoring the mix and the digital input, but during playback it's the STEREO/MULTI button on top. It's too bad the button on top can't be used during recording as well.

As you are aware, before recording that switch changes between 2-channel stereo mode and multi-channel mode.  The only reason I can see to use 2-channel recording mode is if your either want to record at 192kHz or record only the digital input and not any of the analog inputs.  But I agree, it would be nice to be able to push that button while recording to switch headphone monitoring between the stereo mix buss and the digital input.  It's nice that one can switch back and forth that way on playback without stoping playback or losing the playback position.  In contrast, switching between the two simultaneously recorded stereo files during playback on a DR2d reverts back to the begining of the files, which reduces it's usefulness.

- There's no way to play back all 8 tracks at once, even when using a DAC.

Not directly from the machine, which I'd like to do as well. Obviously you can do so once the files are transfered to a computer, which is how most people here will do it. But for that reason it sometimes influences whether I choose to record certain pairs into the analog inputs verses the digital input, just so I can play them back simultaneously with the other anlog channels.

I usually don't use the digital input or record on all 8 tracks, but it would still be nice if some of those things had been thought out a bit more.

It might help to consider that this was not designed as an 8 channel recorder but a 6 channel one with an 'extra' mix-down or digital-input stereo channel.  Thinking of it as an 8 channel machine will lead to dissapointment, think of it instead as capable of 6 with the ability to record 8 in limited circumstances.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #365 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Well, that can be helpful to confirm that the recorded the stereo mix is not clipping. And I'm not certain, but I think that mix is being output from the digital out (in addition to the headphone jack) even if it isn't being recorded.  Since multiple channels are being summed in the mix, the 2-channel mix can clip even though your individual channels are peaking below clipping, and if that is happening the visual stereo channel meter will indicate it, in which case you'd want to reduce either the mix level of the stereo channel or the mix levels of the individual channel levels feeding it (instead of having to lower the individual channel input trims, although that would accomplish the same goal of not clipping the mix).

My point was when you're *not* recording the mix, which you certainly aren't if you're doing 8-track. I suppose it's reasonable in terms of monitoring the digital out (which as I previously mentioned, gives you whatever is in the headphones), but then again, one would assume you could monitor that on the receiving end.

What I was supprised to find was that there seems to be no way to monitor the digital input through headphones, at least in muti-channel mode with the digital input going to the stereo channel.  I agree that capability would be very useful.  I would have used that last night, and trying to do that is what made me to realize my pilot error. Might be possible with the digital-in routed to 5/6 or with the machine in stereo recording mode, but I haven't tried that.

You can definitely do this on the stereo track, by going into the menus and selecting the digital input. That's the only way to get the meters to show what's coming in on the digital in as well (if recording to the stereo track).

As you are aware, before recording that switch changes between 2-channel stereo mode and multi-channel mode.  The only reason I can see to use 2-channel recording mode is if your either want to record at 192kHz or record only the digital input and not any of the analog inputs.  But I agree, it would be nice to be able to push that button while recording to switch headphone monitoring between the stereo mix buss and the digital input.  It's nice that one can switch back and forth that way on playback without stoping playback or losing the playback position.  In contrast, switching between the two simultaneously recorded stereo files during playback on a DR2d reverts back to the begining of the files, which reduces it's usefulness.

I guess I wasn't even aware of it for recording, just playback. Like I said, the same thing can be accomplished via menu during recording (switching between listening to the mix of 1-6 and the stereo track), but simply being able to hit the button would be a lot easier.

Not directly from the machine, which I'd like to do as well. Obviously you can do so once the files are transfered to a computer, which is how most people here will do it. But for that reason it sometimes influences whether I choose to record certain pairs into the analog inputs verses the digital input, just so I can play them back simultaneously with the other anlog channels.

Right...for instance, for the show coming up that I'm recording, I'm putting the audience mics on 7&8 and the various direct mics on 1-6. That way I can switch between 2 more or less complete sources, as opposed to, say, only having the vocals on 7&8 or something.

But playback of all 8 would be nice for mixing. That is, it would be nice to be able to send everything to an analog mixer right from the 680.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #366 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:56 PM »
I'm trying to order a battery cable adapter tip for the 680 from Tekkeon. Can anyone tell me either the needed tip's dimensions or a part number? Thanks

Disregard, I found it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:52:53 PM by Sloan Simpson »

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #367 on: September 12, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
Did about 3 hours of 8-track recording on Saturday (DIN fed with an ART DI/O)...no issues. Also, I had kept it in record pause for the better part of the few days prior, and it never went into DIN UNLOCK. So, pretty stable, thankfully.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #368 on: September 14, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »
Had time to fool around with the 680 last weekend at a local fest.

My taper buddy had AKG 414's sub-cards @ stage-lip>V3>680 analog in on 1+2
Analog SBD>3+4 on his 680
My Schoeps mk4v>kc5>cmc6>722 rig feeding the 680 analog via the tape-out of the 722>680.

The next night we decided to grab the SPDIF digital from my 722. Nothing but issues. Won't sync to the 722 feed. Then it does sync. Then it doesen't. Writing off the 680 as a viable 8+ track feed...

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #369 on: September 14, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »
Odd. It must be particular? Like I said, with the DI/O it was basically locked for days.

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #370 on: September 14, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
Don't mean to ask a potentially obvious question, but . . .   While the 680 is supposed to be able to handle SPDIF or AES and to automatically determine which format it is, have you tried changing the format of the digital output bus on the 722?  If it's set to professional, try consumer, or vice-versa.  Shouldn't have to do that, and I'm not confident it will work, but I'd definitely try it before writing it off completely.

My Schoeps mk4v>kc5>cmc6>722 rig feeding the 680 analog via the tape-out of the 722>680.

The next night we decided to grab the SPDIF digital from my 722. Nothing but issues. Won't sync to the 722 feed. Then it does sync. Then it doesen't. Writing off the 680 as a viable 8+ track feed...

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Don't mean to ask a potentially obvious question, but . . .   While the 680 is supposed to be able to handle SPDIF or AES and to automatically determine which format it is, have you tried changing the format of the digital output bus on the 722?  If it's set to professional, try consumer, or vice-versa.  Shouldn't have to do that, and I'm not confident it will work, but I'd definitely try it before writing it off completely.

Yep, tried both formats.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #372 on: September 14, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
I'm having a hard time coming up with a battery cable/adapter tip for using my Tekkeon MP3450 with the DR-680. The closest one that Tekkeon seems to have is PA-L5F (has "C" on the side of it), but it still requires fiddling to get it to lock on to the voltage. A friend is using this one with his DR-680 with no problems, but mine won't reliably connect. Can anyone advise how to get it powered from the MP3450?

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #373 on: September 14, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »
Ted made me a nice power cable with r/a on both sides for the Tekkeon with the DR-680.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #374 on: September 14, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Ted made me a nice power cable with r/a on both sides for the Tekkeon with the DR-680.
I'll PM, what's his user name?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com