Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II  (Read 59621 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »
Voltronic - Thanks a ton! I should have learned that "light stand" was the proper search term when I first started taping. I remember thinking that when I got my very first stand. Your suggestions and links were very helpful. I ended up going with the manfrotto super clamp and "Manfrotto Compact Aluminum 5-Section Monopod". Both appear to have 1/4" threads so they should work together. Part of the problem with searching for "mic extension" was that all the threads seemed to be different. Thanks again, I'll report back on how it goes.

I highly suggest you cancel your order for the monopod immediately.  That is NOT what you want.  Yes, there is a 1/4" male stud on the monopod and a 1/4" female socket on the SuperClamp, but you are asking for that very short and narrow 1/4" screw to deal with a lot of stress it isn't meant to take.  Any lateral stress, for instance if your setup were to get bumped into, is a breakage risk.  That risk is even greater with an extended weight cantilevered out at an angle.  It doesn't work from a practical standpoint either, because there is no threaded connection on the other end.  You would need to put another clamp onto the other end (the foot of the monopod) that will have a 1/4" or 3/8" male thread to interface with your mic shockmount.  That adds more extended weight, making situation even worse for that 1/4" screw attached to your clamp.  The reviews on this monopod also indicate it isn't very well made for its intended purpose.

The setup you are proposing will not be safe for a balcony rail.  Please don't do this.

Any of the options I suggested will attach to the 5/8" socket on your SuperClamp.  That is a strong, reliable connection meant to take the load of heavy lighting equipment.  If the choices were a bit overwhelming, just go with the Impact 3 foot stand.

If you are having trouble picturing how all of this goes together, here is a good picture.  Note that all of these setups are using 5/8" studs into SuperClamps, except for the second from the left which is using a Matthews Matthelini clamp.  At least the first two on the left and the last on the right are using the Manfrotto 099B pole; the ones in the middle may be using something shorter like the Impact I recommended. 

As the poster points out, all of these people should be using safety cables as well.  With that (important) exception, this picture shows the way to do this properly.

Also, here is the parent post for Part I of this thread, with direct links to lots of helpful info.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:06:29 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »
I love the SuperClamp, but even with the plastic insert, I am never fully confident attaching it to something flat on both sides like a chair arm.  The gripping surface on the lower jaw is very narrow, and on this occasion it was very hard to keep the clamp from slipping laterally on the chair arm.  I suppose I could have used a neoprene or rubber sheet, but I don't carry those with me.

After looking through all of the options from the typical rigging brands and not finding anything that looks better, I think I have found my upgrade.  Check out the video where you see the jaws articulating to fit different shaped surfaces.
https://9.solutions/portfolio-item/savior-clamp-socket/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1426914-REG/9_solutions_9_xs1005b_savior_clamp_with_socket.html

Package arrived this evening.  First impression: WOW.  This thing is seriously strong, and extremely well designed.  I don't think I'll be using my SuperClamps much in the future.

As I get to use it a bit more, I plan on posting a full review with pictures.  More people need to know about this thing before they buy any rigging.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
Here is my review of the 9.Solutions Super Clamp with 5/8" socket.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193520.0
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2020, 01:58:31 PM »
This Triad-Orbit system looks intriguing.

https://www.triad-orbit.com/

A little spendy but great for only leaving a small base plate in clubs if they let you mount up. The synergy clamp looks very similar to the savior clamp from 9.solutions.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2020, 02:01:35 PM »
Voltronic - Thanks a ton! I should have learned that "light stand" was the proper search term when I first started taping. I remember thinking that when I got my very first stand. Your suggestions and links were very helpful. I ended up going with the manfrotto super clamp and "Manfrotto Compact Aluminum 5-Section Monopod". Both appear to have 1/4" threads so they should work together. Part of the problem with searching for "mic extension" was that all the threads seemed to be different. Thanks again, I'll report back on how it goes.

I highly suggest you cancel your order for the monopod immediately.  That is NOT what you want.  Yes, there is a 1/4" male stud on the monopod and a 1/4" female socket on the SuperClamp, but you are asking for that very short and narrow 1/4" screw to deal with a lot of stress it isn't meant to take.  Any lateral stress, for instance if your setup were to get bumped into, is a breakage risk.  That risk is even greater with an extended weight cantilevered out at an angle.  It doesn't work from a practical standpoint either, because there is no threaded connection on the other end.  You would need to put another clamp onto the other end (the foot of the monopod) that will have a 1/4" or 3/8" male thread to interface with your mic shockmount.  That adds more extended weight, making situation even worse for that 1/4" screw attached to your clamp.  The reviews on this monopod also indicate it isn't very well made for its intended purpose.

The setup you are proposing will not be safe for a balcony rail.  Please don't do this.

Any of the options I suggested will attach to the 5/8" socket on your SuperClamp.  That is a strong, reliable connection meant to take the load of heavy lighting equipment.  If the choices were a bit overwhelming, just go with the Impact 3 foot stand.

If you are having trouble picturing how all of this goes together, here is a good picture.  Note that all of these setups are using 5/8" studs into SuperClamps, except for the second from the left which is using a Matthews Matthelini clamp.  At least the first two on the left and the last on the right are using the Manfrotto 099B pole; the ones in the middle may be using something shorter like the Impact I recommended. 

Sorry for the delayed response! I did in fact end up taping TTB with what I ordered, but you're correct that it's not the right item. It worked that night, but I was up in the last section of the balcony with only a walkway below me, not a GA floor. Since I only needed a short length that night it worked but I'm sending it back shortly. I only taped with my AT-853s that night which are very light. It seemed like my Naks would have been a little heavy for it...

I ended up going with the Matthews Baby Stand Extension and rapid adapter so I have options for a variety of heights. It seemed worth the little extra compared to the Impact stand to have an option of extra height. This was a little confusing because the Amazon listing didn't seem to have the adapter info. Your input helped with that, so thanks again! Will the stud that came with the superclamp suffice to connect the Matthews stand to the clamp?

BTW that picture is crazy. I'm surprised any venue would let us do that. Even with the very best clamping gear I wouldn't be comfortable with my mics extended out like that. I usually use a stand but when clamping in these situations I'm usually at the soundboard or have the mics in front of my seat.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline voltronic

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2020, 08:01:01 PM »
jagraham,

Yes, and standard stud will do it; just not any of the "short" studs.  I own a few of those, and only the threaded 1/4" or 3/8" screw protrudes beyond the 5/8" socket.

Also, FWIW you shouldn't just be concerned about your mics falling, but the extension pole and all other hardware.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2020, 08:40:37 PM »
I use this one for baby extension to superclamp:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E4L0CI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Related question: anyone else notice/care that the sockets are slightly larger than the studs, so when tightened the stud is a bit out of perpendicular with the socket? I've tried to compensate by positioning the tightening screws at 180 degrees offset, but that is less than satisfying. Shimming the socket seems like a pita... This issue seems relevant to all sockets.

~Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2020, 08:19:05 PM »
Safety cable question:

Usual setup is superclamp > baby extension > rapid adapter > shock mount

Concerned that things could come apart at either end of the extension. So, where should the cable connect to? Lately been trying for both the extension and the rapid adapter.

TIA

Recordings at LMA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2020, 01:32:47 AM »
Concerned that things could come apart at either end of the extension. So, where should the cable connect to? Lately been trying for both the extension and the rapid adapter.
Something solid. In a situation where your safety cable is too short, you can double or triple up several cables, (loop them through their ends for max length), then chain as many as you require in order to get to the nearest point.
How about wrapping it around the base of your seat, or the armrest if there is nothing else?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2020, 04:52:29 AM »

Related question: anyone else notice/care that the sockets are slightly larger than the studs, so when tightened the stud is a bit out of perpendicular with the socket? I've tried to compensate by positioning the tightening screws at 180 degrees offset, but that is less than satisfying. Shimming the socket seems like a pita... This issue seems relevant to all sockets.

This is one of several things I find are made with slightly tighter tolerances on the 9.Solutions Savior Clamp With Socket.  (And yes, I'm going to continue to sing the praises of that clamp on this board until you all buy one.)  ;)

I have sometimes wrapped a narrow strip of gaff tape around the narrow part of the 5/8" stud, just to give the grub screw something more to bite into, which helps it feel a bit more secure, but doesn't help the "off-center" nature, which is due to the hex ends being loose in the socket.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2021, 04:31:03 PM »
I finally "finished" my spaced omni setup this week, which uses the following Manfrotto models: 1004BAC, 099B, 2941, a regular stud, and a short stud.

The 2941 clamp slides over the built in stud on the 1004 stand, where you can then mount the 099b within the clamp. Using a short stud, you can mount a pair of mics on top of the 2941 clamp with a K&M bar. Unfortunately, the 2941 clamp does not appear to be able to accommodate two full sized studs, hence the short stud. You'll need a full sized stud at the bottom of the 099b in order to mount a mic.

The minimum spread between mics is around 44" using Rycote shock mounts.

Maybe this will save someone who is considering buying an omni bar some money over buying a dedicated bar. Multi-use gear is good!

I can provide pics if needed.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:56:23 PM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2021, 01:25:50 PM »
bump for awesome info  . 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »
So looking at a Shapeways mount and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of clamp do they use in their picture?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LJJUU2CPF/nos-at853-v2?optionId=81758318&li=shops
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2022, 10:40:47 PM »
Shure A55M?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A55M--shure-a55m-shock-mount-microphone-clip

Favorite recent addition to the pathology collection:
https://www.amazon.com/IRWINQUICK-GRIPOne-Handed-Mini-Bar-Clamp-1964742/dp/B00002244S/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2KI102HFELYLG&keywords=IRWIN+QUICK-G
Drilled and threaded a 1/4" hole in the bar, and this light/cheap device is the Mr. Wolf of clamps. Works great on beams and pipes.
Along with a 1" webbing strap and buckle that has a 1/4" stud attached, these 2 get me out of a lot of jams.

Recordings at LMA

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2022, 01:16:56 PM »
Thanks

EDIT: turns out its a A53, not a A.55.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:52:33 AM by mrfender »
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com