Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right Angle V3 Power Cable  (Read 4720 times)

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Right Angle V3 Power Cable
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:24:18 PM »
I know that several people have made these before, including the missing Leegeddy, as well as apparantly JohnP.  For you industrious cable makers out there, making these would be a great idea.  Whenever a V3 pops up in the yard sale, with a right angle power cable, all of the immediate PMs are asking about the cable.  From what I understand, the basic plug needs to be notched with a dremel, with the cable run through, and filled with the same epoxy that people use in making the shorty RA XLRs.  A little strain relief/heat shrink and it should be good to go.  I have a spare power plug if anyone is up for doing this, and will obviously be happy to pay for the work.  You could probably sell quite a few here.  Anyone up to the challenge?
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Right Angle V3 Power Cable
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 02:35:35 PM »
FWIW, I've got all the parts to make them, just been bogged down the last couple weeks with other issues. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
FWIW, I've got all the parts to make them, just been bogged down the last couple weeks with other issues. 

and i'm first in line...  :D
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:58:06 PM »

Right after me?  ???
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 08:21:38 AM »

I got the parts a while back after Brad begged me to make him one!   ;D
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »
I have a ghetto version I made. I'd be interested in one too, if you have enough parts...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »
is there a right angle plug that fits and locks to the v3? i didn't think one existed. please post the part number if it exists.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:20:32 AM »
is there a right angle plug that fits and locks to the v3? i didn't think one existed. please post the part number if it exists.

no, there isn't.  you have to take the regular one, cut the plastic covering and metal leads down as far as you can, notch it so the cable comes out the side, apoxy it, and then shrink wrap it.  its kind of a pain in the ass.  the actual connection wouldn't be modified, just the black plastic piece and the metal leads on the inside the housing...
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »

no, there isn't.  you have to take the regular one, cut the plastic covering and metal leads down as far as you can, notch it so the cable comes out the side, apoxy it, and then shrink wrap it.  its kind of a pain in the ass.  the actual connection wouldn't be modified, just the black plastic piece and the metal leads on the inside the housing...

This is exactly what I did, except i couldn't get the shrink wrap done right...  :-[
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »
I have found that my straight V3 cable works fine in my bag after taking it, putting more heat shrink on it, and simply bending it to a 90 degree angle while the heat shrink is still hot. It sticks out the back of the V3 less than a right angle XLR does.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 11:27:24 PM »
thats the only thing i dont miss about my v3. thank god my V2 has a 4-pin. i have a leegeddy rt-angle 4-pin>3-amp fuse>3 x rc connectors so i can hook my v2 up directly with a 4-pin>7.2v rc batteries :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 07:51:37 PM »
thats the only thing i dont miss about my v3. thank god my V2 has a 4-pin. i have a leegeddy rt-angle 4-pin>3-amp fuse>3 x rc connectors so i can hook my v2 up directly with a 4-pin>7.2v rc batteries :)
i thought you were ditching the v2?  480>722 all the way ;)
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »
you can also sort of make one from the normal connector just by bending it..., a little epoxy and shrink tube...viola!
not super pretty, but sturdy and easily able to take the weight of the V3 w/o issue.

putting two of the connectors together to make the RA...its still sort of large.  I haven't used that setup, but i've seen a few of them.  Didn't like it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.25 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com