Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track  (Read 23676 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-40 - new 4-track
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »
Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power.

I've been using this to power my Sound Devices USBPre2, and it works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP4001-Universal-Rechargeable-Power/dp/B0029U2WUA
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
I've run mine the last three nights using a cheap cell phone charger for an AC power supply. It worked fine and didn't cost me the $40 or whatever Tascam wants for theirs. Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power. I know they make them but haven't shopped for one yet.

Walter, just get one of these.  I used it for the Tascam DR-1 to charge it's battery on the fly.  Perfect for Wanee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Battery-USB-Emergency-Backup-Power-and-Charger-Pack-/330673357722?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cfdab039a#ht_5607wt_1396

Noted and I may get one or two as emergency backups but I was thinking more along the lines of one of the DVD batteries but with a USB power output.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
Now I need to find a rechargeable battery that puts out USB power.

I've been using this to power my Sound Devices USBPre2, and it works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP4001-Universal-Rechargeable-Power/dp/B0029U2WUA

That's the idea! Thanks
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
So I've skimmed the thread and didn't find an answer.  Can you run this line in on the XLR's and line in on the 1/8 input??  Also can you adjust the levels on the XLRs and 1/8 input when recordering.  I'm going to buy a Dr 2d, but wondered if this would work better for 4 channel.  TIA
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Can you run this line in on the XLR's and line in on the 1/8 input??

This deck's only inputs are via the XLR & 1/4" combo jack so the only way to run 4 channels is using the internal mics for 2 of them. If you want 2 external sources the DR-2D is your machine.

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
Just getting into taping, and I'm considering picking up one of these machines.  I'll be running a pair of Nak 100's into the XLR inputs; the Naks will run on 9v batteries, so shouldn't need to fuss with phantom power in the meantime.  Not really concerned about running anything more than two-channel at present.

Will this deck be fairly quality?
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
I've only run mine with line-in so far but plan on using it with mics this weekend.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
I'm very happy with mine, I mainly run line in, but I occasionally use it with a pair of Behringer C2 cardioids on phantom power, and get about 5 hours use.

Get yourself some good re-chargable batteries, preferably the hybrid type, Eneloop, Hybrio etc, and you'll get a good long battery life when not using phantom power.

Jon
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
I'm probably going to pick up a Tekkeon portable battery to run with it; that way, I can have hours of continuous power.

Thanks for the help!
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
I get over 13 hours with a set of freshly charged Eneloops when recording without phantom power, and about 5 hours with a pair of Behringer C2's with phantom power on.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
I got my hands on one of these to play around with and maybe use as a backup. I did a few quick noise comparisons versus my Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661. Not sure how scientific this is but here's what I did to find the "real world" noise floor of each deck. I recorded four, 10-second clips from each deck with nothing connected to the input:

1) Line with input at 0
2) Line with input at max
3) Mic w/ Phantom with input at 0
4) Mic w/ Phantom with input at max

I then opened up the clips and analyzed them for RMS signal. Results are rounded to the nearest dB:

661/DR-40

1) -73/-84
2) -73/-80
3) -73/-84
4) -53/-48

From this it looks like the Tascam takes the modded 661 for everything except Mic w/ Phantom at max gain  :o  Listening back to the clips via headphones confirmed the numbers. In fact the background hiss is just as bad as the 661 at full gain, just a different type of "sizzle". I would say that this deck certainly for Line-in purposes and even Mic w/ Phantom (for louder sources anyway) can't be beat for the price. Not sure how the ADC compares though...

-james

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com