Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to create tracks in wavelab?  (Read 11453 times)

Offline Chad817

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: how to create tracks in wavelab?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 10:00:36 AM »
  tracking in cdwav is a lot easier though, and if you are ultimately going to be using flac anyway, you can output directly to flac and skip the individual wav track step.

I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »
  tracking in cdwav is a lot easier though, and if you are ultimately going to be using flac anyway, you can output directly to flac and skip the individual wav track step.

I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks.

works great for 16/44 or 16/48.  doesn't work for 24/96.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 11:47:53 AM »
In WaveLab make sure you have the marker toolbar visible.
For your first track, make sure the cursor is at the very beginning of the file.
Hover over the rainbow multicolored triangle on the marker toolbar and select it.  That brings up the new marker dialogue.
Select "cd track start" marker type for the first one. (The quantize to cd frame will be grayed out on the first track, but this will be an important check box in the following steps because checking it will avoid sector boundary errors).
Now, you can either have wavelab auto name your files (track 01, track 02 etc...) or you can untick the auto naming box and use the etree naming convention.  I will do the yourband2005-08-13d01t01 in the name field and then highlight it and copy the name to the clipboard.  That way, when I name the next track, I just paste it in and change the last #1 to a 2.

Now, on to track 2. 
Position the cursor to where you want the track to split.
Select the rainbow triangle on the marker toolbar again. 
This time, select "cd track splice" (you can leave it on "cd track start" and it will automatically convert to a splice marker, but I am ocd like that)
Make sure you have the "quantize to cd frame" box checked and it will locate the sector boundary for a perfect track change.
If you drop generic markers, wavelab just leaves them where you position the cursor.  Then when you split into separate tracks, you get sector boundary errors.  Using cd markers with the quantize function checked, wavelab will reposition the cursor to the closest sector boundary (don't worry, it is only miliseconds off of where you put your cursor)
Paste in your track name and you're off. 

Once you drop the cd markers, you can slide them where ever you want and wavelab will keep them aligned along sector boundaries.

Now that the cd is tracked out.  I open the audio cd burning dialogue.
file>new>basic audio cd
select the little black tringle at the top left of the dialogue box and then select the "add tracks" option.
Browse to your file and double click.
Now you have all tracks in the burning dialogue.
Punch the copy protect (little key icon) to deselect all copy protection checks.

From here you can burn the cd straight out by pressing cd>write cd  OR
you can press cd>save each track as a separate audio file (and it will write all files on sector boundaries as separate tracks while keeping your original file intact)
Now that you have all the tracks saved separately and named according to etree convention, you can drop them into the flac front end and flac 'em up.

Hope that helps.  Certainly, there are other ways to do it, but I have found this method to be the fastest and most efficient while leaving the original file intact.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 11:50:12 AM by John P »

Ray76

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 11:59:53 AM »
For your first track, make sure the cursor is at the very beginning of the file.
Hover over the rainbow multicolored triangle on the marker toolbar and select it.  That brings up the new marker dialogue.
Select "cd track start" marker type for the first one. (The quantize to cd frame will be grayed out on the first track, but this will be an important check box in the following steps because checking it will avoid sector boundary errors).
Now, you can either have wavelab auto name your files (track 01, track 02 etc...) or you can untick the auto naming box and use the etree naming convention.  I will do the yourband2005-08-13d01t01 in the name field and then highlight it and copy the name to the clipboard.  That way, when I name the next track, I just paste it in and change the last #1 to a 2.

Now, on to track 2. 
This time, select "cd track splice" (you can leave it on "cd track start" and it will automatically convert to a splice marker, but I am ocd like that)
Make sure you have the "quantize to cd frame" box checked and it will locate the sector boundary for a perfect track change.
If you drop generic markers, wavelab just leaves them where you position the cursor.  Then when you split into separate tracks, you get sector boundary errors.  Using cd markers with the quantize function checked, wavelab will reposition the cursor to the closest sector boundary (don't worry, it is only miliseconds off of where you put your cursor)

Once you drop the cd markers, you can slide them where ever you want and wavelab will keep them aligned along sector boundaries.

Now that the cd is tracked out.  I open the audio cd burning dialogue.
file>new>basic audio cd
select the little black tringle at the top left of the dialogue box and then select the "add tracks" option.
Punch the copy protect (little key icon) to deselect all copy protection checks.

From here you can burn the cd straight out by pressing cd>write cd  OR
you can press cd>save each track as a separate audio file (and it will write all files on sector boundaries as separate tracks while keeping your original file intact)
Now that you have all the tracks saved separately and named according to etree convention, you can drop them into the flac front end and flac 'em up.

Hope that helps.  Certainly, there are other ways to do it, but I have found this method to be the fastest and most efficient while leaving the original file intact.

Thanks John!+T

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 02:55:24 PM »
Hover over the rainbow multicolored triangle on the marker toolbar and select it. That brings up the new marker dialogue.
Now, you can either have wavelab auto name your files (track 01, track 02 etc...) or you can untick the auto naming box and use the etree naming convention. I will do the yourband2005-08-13d01t01 in the name field and then highlight it and copy the name to the clipboard. That way, when I name the next track, I just paste it in and change the last #1 to a 2.

Now, on to track 2.
If you drop generic markers, wavelab just leaves them where you position the cursor. Then when you split into separate tracks, you get sector boundary errors. Using cd markers with the quantize function checked, wavelab will reposition the cursor to the closest sector boundary (don't worry, it is only miliseconds off of where you put your cursor)

Now that the cd is tracked out. I open the audio cd burning dialogue.
file>new>basic audio cd

From here you can burn the cd straight out by pressing cd>write cd OR

Hope that helps. Certainly, there are other ways to do it, but I have found this method to be the fastest and most efficient while leaving the original file intact.

just tried this - first of all thanks for the detailed explanation, +T

BEWARE of this approach, if your original wav is 48K, and when you do cd/save all tracks as wav files
if you leave it set at 44.1K, it will simply save them with a 44.1K header, it will not resample the file!
this will give you "Chipmunks"

i knew billy martin wasn't quite as bad of a badass as he sounds right now!

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 03:46:12 PM »

just tried this - first of all thanks for the detailed explanation, +T

BEWARE of this approach, if your original wav is 48K, and when you do cd/save all tracks as wav files
if you leave it set at 44.1K, it will simply save them with a 44.1K header, it will not resample the file!
this will give you "Chipmunks"

Right!  I forgot to add, that this approach is for 16/44.1.
Use cd markers in your hi res files just as you would above.  BUT, once the file is tracked out, use the auto split function and save as individual tracks for flac'ing up.  Simply use your dithering algorithm of choice in the batch processor to bring the file to 16/44.1

+t backatcha

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 05:10:17 PM »
cdwave is da bomb!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2005, 03:39:11 AM »
cdwave is da bomb!

no shit!  why in hell would you go through all that just to track ?!?  ???
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Ray76

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »
cdwave is da bomb!

no shit!  why in hell would you go through all that just to track ?!?  ???

i would do it that way just because I already use wavelab for adding gain, etc.. and as i am lazy , just saves an extra step.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 11:15:57 AM »
sounds like it adds about 10 steps.

Ray76

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »
yeah,,i know..Ill be using CD WAVE from now on..  :P

Wavelab is so near perfect for our uses so far(mine anyway) I just wish that the markers werent such a hassle. I actually tried doing it both ways, and the wavelab took about 22 minutes longer.
now if steinberg would buy cd wave, and incorporate the GUI from it...and add a more reliable Audio DVD creator function.... itd be great.

Teddy

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 10:54:42 AM »
i found cd wave to be much easier. i haven't stop transfering dat's since i figured this out last week. it is so much easier than i thought.
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 08:01:46 PM »
Use cd markers in your hi res files just as you would above.  BUT, once the file is tracked out, use the auto split function and save as individual tracks for flac'ing up.  Simply use your dithering algorithm of choice in the batch processor to bring the file to 16/44.1

I like your explanation about the CD track markers, thanks for laying that out.

One question though, when coming down from 24/96 would it be better to dither/downsample the entire file rather than the individual tracks?  I've had some trouble with ends/beginnings not matching up if I track first then downsample.  Maybe something is wrong in my settings.

Ray76

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »

I like your explanation about the CD track markers, thanks for laying that out.

One question though, when coming down from 24/96 would it be better to dither/downsample the entire file rather than the individual tracks?  I've had some trouble with ends/beginnings not matching up if I track first then downsample.  Maybe something is wrong in my settings.

if you try to do the whole file...you get the 2g file size limit...thus it is easier to split and then do it.
1.open the whole thing up....
2.split using the method above
3.)edit,track...(save the 24 bit files)
4.) downsample/dither

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
if you try to do the whole file...you get the 2g file size limit...

Another one of those things that makes wavelab a really dumb program.  You'll even run into problems with smaller files if you have the temp files set to 32 bit (which you should).  Files > 2GB are a reality of recording in the current age  :P
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com