Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split cardioid's?  (Read 11352 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Split cardioid's?
« on: March 23, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
Any history/recommendations/use/ideas/experience on this? I have a 24" split bar for my AT's. Pro's and con's? Thanks....
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Split cardioid's?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »
TRY IT!

thats my recomendation :)

ive heard ghood things, nevertried it myself tho
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 04:54:41 PM »
Well, I tried it the other night -- on-stage -- and had horrible bass response... but I believe that was waaaay more due to the band and music, as opposed to the setup. Basically, I'm now questioning my entire taping existence. ;D

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:56:37 PM »
I've run them split about 9ft, came out good!  There was a bit of the "hole in the middle" thing happnin, but not too bad though.  I prolly wouldn't do it again split that far, but I would def try the split cards again.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 05:09:42 PM »
I ran split cardioids at one of the Grateful Dead 1990 Cal Expo shows.
I split them about thirty feet, on either side of the soundboard/lighting area.
It's a weird sounding recording. I never split them like that again.
I'd suggest MUCH less spacing... say 4 feet maybe.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 07:29:07 PM »
Scott Brown split cards 15 feet in NYC at the Bowery for the Warren & Friends show back in Feb.  That recording is rediculously good...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »
Well, I tried it the other night -- on-stage -- and had horrible bass response... but I believe that was waaaay more due to the band and music, as opposed to the setup. Basically, I'm now questioning my entire taping existence. ;D

did you use any sort of HPF? I find when one is on stage or real close that will help....

on this topic...I leave the splitting to omni's...but give it a try, its fun to experiment
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »

did you use any sort of HPF? I find when one is on stage or real close that will help....

on this topic...I leave the splitting to omni's...but give it a try, its fun to experiment

Well, my AT8533x's have a bass roll-off but I was recording tabla and electronic drums from a few feet away and my stand was positioned within about 8 monitors in a 20 foot space. It's was unnecessarily loud at times and really ambient and quiet at other times. Fareed Haque Group.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:03:04 PM »
Scott Brown split cards 15 feet in NYC at the Bowery for the Warren & Friends show back in Feb. That recording is rediculously good...
I was gonna just mention this tape! When I was downloading it I thought it was gonna have a HUGE hole, but it sounds quite nice! Maybe thats because in comparison to an arena, it was a small room...

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »
Here's a thread to a recent split card:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=12210
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »

directional mics are subject to the proximity effect... look it up if you don't know it, it's an important concept when taping on stage or up front
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 09:52:36 PM »
Scott Brown split cards 15 feet in NYC at the Bowery for the Warren & Friends show back in Feb. That recording is rediculously good...

I've heard some that are around 15-20' and they are pretty nice...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 10:31:28 PM »
I was gonna just mention this tape! When I was downloading it I thought it was gonna have a HUGE hole, but it sounds quite nice! Maybe thats because in comparison to an arena, it was a small room...

yeah, the bowery is a small room and it really works well there.  in a bigger room, it might start sounding weird.  but hey, you never know until you try it, right? :)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 11:00:42 AM »
directional mics are subject to the proximity effect

Proximity effect is the increase in the low-frequency sensitivity of a microphone when the sound source is close to it. This is particularly true of cardioid, directional microphones. To counter that, most high-end directional microphones use a low-frequency roll-off filter to restore the response to its flat, natural balance. Some microphones have a user-selectable switch to control the filter.

I'd buy that... but I've ran on-stage w/ hyper's before and had no problem. I'm going to chalk this one up to "not being completely familiar with my new equipment" and possibly "not using a bass roll-off". Not to mention I don't "shower regularly", nor do I "brush my teeth" or "wash behind my ears".

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline barren4

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • AKG c480b/ck61,62,63,c414b-uls,c426b>V3>SD 722
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 11:33:28 AM »
Scott Brown split cards 15 feet in NYC at the Bowery for the Warren & Friends show back in Feb.  That recording is rediculously good...

After reading what Scott wrote about split cards at the Bowery w/ it's u shaped balcony., I had to try it at the Tabernacle.  I've never been completely  happy w/ my tapes from there.  I'm glad I tried, best sound so far from that room.  It is different sounding from din but there is definitly no hole in the middle.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com