Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom HxEssential recorders  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: New Zoom HxEssential recorders
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2024, 11:24:16 AM »
Because dynamic range is the difference between EIN and input clipping level, maximum dynamic range into a recorder will be achieved when using minimal input gain, essentially line-in at "unity gain", although the concept of unity gain doesn't apply directly to a device where the output is a recorded file.  Unity gain means the level of the output signal is equal to the level of the input signal. 

The test above is the opposite of that.  Essentially indicating the worst possible dynamic range achievable through each recorder, very much dependent on how much gain is available.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:27:01 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Rairun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2024, 11:42:07 AM »
Because that dynamic range measurement is calculated at the maximum input gain setting of each recorder, it's entirely dependent on how much input gain the recorder provides.  The greater the gain, the lower the dynamic range will tend to be.  It would only be a relevant comparative measure if made at some equivalent input gain for all recorders.  As it is, it doesn't make sense as a basis of comparison.  See note 3-

"The dynamic range figure at the maximum available gain setting alone should not be interpreted as an indicator for the performance of a recorder because these numbers will of course depend on the individual maximum gain of the various recorders (a higher maximum gain tend to result in a lower dynamic range figure)."

And because the EIN is calculated at the highest gain setting as well, this chart isn't very useful for tapers who record louder shows (or use external preamps) either. Even recorders generally considered "bad" (like the Zoom H1) are sometimes better than "better" recorders (like the Roland R-05, which on that chart is ranked higher than the SONY PCM-M10, for example) at different settings. I recall the Zoom H1 has an EIN of -99dBu at unity gain, while the Roland R-05 sits at around -96dBu also at unity. The R-05 beats the H1 at the +3dB to +13B gain range, then the H1 beats the Roland at +13dB, and then the Roland beats the H1 for anything above +14dB. You wouldn't be able to tell any of this from this chart.
archive.org/details/@rairun

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2024, 12:44:24 PM »
Thank you very much @Gutbucket for your explanation! Now I get it...in fact the Zoom H5 has a 55 db gain while F6 has 75. Don't know if it makes for a 20 bd greater dynamic range at te same - let's say - 55 dbs of gain, but anyway a significantly better value...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2024, 06:33:47 AM »
To me, the "Essentials" model name conveys "basics" rather than "it's essential to own one."  Which of these Zoom wished to convey I don't know.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com