Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sample Rate Problems With Audacity After Dithering  (Read 2464 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sample Rate Problems With Audacity After Dithering
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »
I made my first 24/48 recording on my R09 and I'm wishing I had left it at 16/44.1 now. I have followed Brian's Audacity 24-bit and 16-bit Workflow guide and things went ok initially, but I was having trouble getting the sample rate down to 44.1.

After a few mess ups getting slow sounding 16 bit / 48khz wavs, I now have a saved 16 bit file that is showing (on right click -> properties) as 16 bit / 48khz, even though it sounds right (not too fast / slow). Why is it showing as 48khz? I'm baffled.

(EDIT - moved from Recording)

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
Re: Sample Rate Problems With Audacity After Dithering
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:24:26 PM »
I guess my second question is... Is there another audio editor that does SRC much more easily? If it worked in Audacity, I would not be asking this question.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »
if all you need to do is resample, and no other editing, I would suggest using r8brain.
There is a free version and a "Pro" version.  both sound great.
you can get the free version here:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
Thanks Jason - I'm trying it right now. Trying to get it right in Audacity was ruining my day off.  >:(

+t

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:25:19 PM »
also you should resample BEFORE dithering!  dither last.  always dither last
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:27:17 PM »
that's true, dither should always be the last thing you do.  with r8brain, you choose the output bit depth, and it'll apply flat dither.  so start with the 24/48 files as input and output 16/44.1 and r8brain will take care of the rest :)

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
also you should resample BEFORE dithering!  dither last.  always dither last

So this is where I was going wrong? I was only trying to do both at the same time whilst exporting to wav. I don't see why this was causing problems. Certainly easy to remember though, he who dithers, comes last. ;-)

R8Brain did the job - nice one.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
Audacity can apply both dithering and sample rate conversion easily, and at the same time in my experience without any issues.

Before you start, open the preferences tab and select the type of dither and quality level of sample conversion you want and click "ok". Open the file. Select the project rate at the bottom left hand corner to 44.1. Click on the file itself and select the bit depth to 16. Then export as wave and it will save as a dithered 16 bit file at 44.1. Hope this helps.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Audacity can apply both dithering and sample rate conversion easily, and at the same time in my experience without any issues.

Before you start, open the preferences tab and select the type of dither and quality level of sample conversion you want and click "ok". Open the file. Select the project rate at the bottom left hand corner to 44.1. Click on the file itself and select the bit depth to 16. Then export as wave and it will save as a dithered 16 bit file at 44.1. Hope this helps.

I did all that, in fact I followed Brian's workflow closely. I don't know if selecting dither first was the problem, though I did try to export the file with both dither and SRC seletions made. Maybe it's just me or my pc... Thanks for the help though!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com