Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic eneloops vs Powerex  (Read 3908 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Panasonic eneloops vs Powerex
« on: November 15, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »
So during the pandemic, all my Powerex Pro 2700 died. I did a recycle/refresh and 7/8 were ok last week. I popped them in Today and got a “high” message on all of them: I have the Powerex 9000 charger. The four batteries that just arrived from B&H are all fine, I broke them in and they’re all reasonably close to 2700.

Is the Panasonic Eneloop a better option? Some of the stuff I read online suggested that the Powerex is not really low discharge, but the  eneloops are. And that the eneloop 2000 outperforms the Powerex 2700. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated: I bwouldnt give a shit, but my Oade modded marantz 620s are fairly battery hungry, like 5-6 hours on a pair of topped off Powerex 2700 pros. I always top off day of show.

Thanks, Marc

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: Panasonic eneloops vs Powerex
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 08:58:44 PM »
Not sure about the Powerex, but Eneloop Pro's have been great for me.

Details: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192984.msg2318530#msg2318530
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:58:52 PM »
Thanks, big help!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
Last time I checked the IKEA 2450 LADDA batteries are available again.   That is what I've been using for years...  You can order them online if there isn't an IKEA near you.  $7.99/ 4 pack

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-hr06-aa-1-2v-50504692/

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »
When the Powerex 9000 charger reports "high" (internal resistance) they are at end of life. 

It's been a while since I looked into it, but the "Pro" Powerex versions are (or at least used to be) intended for high-current applications - think photo flashes and such with high intermittent power draws.  The "standard" version of the Powerex (which used to have "low self discharge" printed on the battery, later changed to "precharged") are rated something like a hundred mAh or so less than the Pro's in total capacity, yet actually have a lower self discharge rate and significantly higher recharge cycle count rating than the Pro's, meaning they are better suited to lower, but more-constant current applications, especially longer term as they age.

Since our gear tends to have a relatively constant current draw, and the most important metric for any battery that works for taping is reliability over time, the non-Pro versions seem to be better suited to our use.  This was my conclusion four or so years back when I was replacing my batteries again and got relatively deep into it, deciding to remain with the regular versions rather than try the Pro's.  The extra 100 total mAh was not worth the trade-off in decreased LSD and life-cycle performance to me, and I concluded the relatively small total capacity difference was likely to even out and possibly invert the trend after some regular use.

Anecdotal actual use:
I've used both regular Powex and regular Eneloop (which we use at work) for taping over the past decade and both seem to perform about the same in my experience.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:36:28 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

marc0789

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 04:03:57 PM »
Thanks a ton guys, hugely helpful! I do have the pro version and have tossed way more than I thought was reasonable.

marc0789

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 04:21:01 PM »
Thanks Gutbucket, grabbed an 8 pack of the pre charged 2600s at B&H for $16.95 free shipping, seems like a decent price.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 04:35:59 PM »
Seems a good deal, I may do the same.  The Powerex AA's I was using for taping prior to shutdown were already getting long in the tooth at that point and now all but one read "high".
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »
Purely anecdotal, but I bought 8 Eneloop Pros when I purchased my MixPre-6 (June, 2017). I used them pretty frequently until the pandemic hit; they then sat in the closet for 20 months with no usage. I was amazed when I brought them out for a show last weekend and tested them on my LaCrosse charger. All 8, originally spec'ed at 2500 mAh, tested very close to that value. The lowest, as I recall, was 2430. I will continue to use Eneloop Pros. Frankly, I don't mind paying a little extra for that type of reliability, especially considering the amount I dropped on mics and recorder and other accessories...

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 05:31:48 PM »
When the Powerex 9000 charger reports "high" (internal resistance) they are at end of life. 

It's been a while since I looked into it, but the "Pro" Powerex versions are (or at least used to be) intended for high-current applications - think photo flashes and such with high intermittent power draws.  The "standard" version of the Powerex (which used to have "low self discharge" printed on the battery, later changed to "precharged") are rated something like a hundred mAh or so less than the Pro's in total capacity, yet actually have a lower self discharge rate and significantly higher recharge cycle count rating than the Pro's, meaning they are better suited to lower, but more-constant current applications, especially longer term as they age.

Since our gear tends to have a relatively constant current draw, and the most important metric for any battery that works for taping is reliability over time, the non-Pro versions seem to be better suited to our use.  This was my conclusion four or so years back when I was replacing my batteries again and got relatively deep into it, deciding to remain with the regular versions rather than try the Pro's.  The extra 100 total mAh was not worth the trade-off in decreased LSD and life-cycle performance to me, and I concluded the relatively small total capacity difference was likely to even out and possibly invert the trend after some regular use.

Anecdotal actual use:
I've used both regular Powex and regular Eneloop (which we use at work) for taping over the past decade and both seem to perform about the same in my experience.

Gutbucket, do you break in your Powerex precharged 2600 AAs? Or just top off and use? The Powerex FAQs say that they can be used out of the box. Thanks, Marc
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 10:29:17 AM »
You can just top them off if you need them immediately, but I run them through the break-in routine of the Maha MH-C9000 charger first as best practice. Other good quality chargers have a similar break-in or forming mode.  It does take a good amount of time to complete.  Besides testing and conditioning each new cell, that process allows you to match them into pairs as it determines and displays the actual capacity of each battery after the break-in routine completes, That is an additional step that gets the most out of them and makes for better reliability over time but is not strictly necessary yet.  It allows you to organize the batch into pairs of most-similar capacity and label them as such so that you can always keep, use and charge each pair together, which is helpful for a few reasons.

jcable77

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 03:53:07 PM »
Anyone recommend good rechargeable C batteries? I hate the idea of throwing away batteries every 2 shows using the Soundfield.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 08:05:55 PM »
If standard rechargeable AA's provide sufficient current and capacity to power the Soundfield, you could use AA to C adapters.  The AA battery fits into a C battery style adapter housing.  Search "AA to C battery adapter".

jcable77

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 06:27:16 AM »
Ive seen those eneloops with adapters and was thinking that might be the direction I go.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com