Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY preamp for Edirol R-44  (Read 3640 times)

Offline nOrD

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
DIY preamp for Edirol R-44
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
Hi all,

I would like to extend my gear with a good quality preamp but do not have enough money to buy a Sound Device, for instance. I have some knowledge in electronics, mainly analogue audio and has built some amps, circuits before.

What I would like to realize is a quiet linear portable amp with two balanced I/O, switchable phantom power. Rather minimal design but quality parts. I have a little stock of caps, resistors, wires, etc at home.

Does somebody could help me with circuit and PCB design to think of? Cheap kits are also very welcomed :)

Thank you,
nOrD

Offline nOrD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
Re: DIY preamp for Edirol R-44
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
Fixed or variable gain?  Battery power?  Size requirement?

Fixed gain (I think about 30-40dB), battery power by RB-270 (9VDC/5400 mAh), size depends on the covering box required, but something about 200x100x50 (in mm) would be perfect, I guess.

I forget to mention that I have a lot of tubes, from tiny nixies to larger types though DC/AC power conversion throw me away to think about anyway loved tubes for this project.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »
The preamps in the R-44 are very good; why do you want to replace them?

I mean, I use an outboard Grace V3 for channels 1 and 2 most of the time, but that's because I find the metering on the V3 much clearer and I can select the low-cut frequency. It's not because the R-44 has bad mike preamps by any means. I've used them and gotten very good results.

I'm just asking. You might really have a reason.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline nOrD

• Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »
The preamps in the R-44 are very good; why do you want to replace them?

I mean, I use an outboard Grace V3 for channels 1 and 2 most of the time, but that's because I find the metering on the V3 much clearer and I can select the low-cut frequency. It's not because the R-44 has bad mike preamps by any means. I've used them and gotten very good results.

I'm just asking. You might really have a reason.

--best regards

Hi DSatz,
Sure, I do agree with that R-44 has great preamps. The main reason behind my wish to add a preamp is that when I use my shootgun mic (AT815b) I need some more gain. I know that this is because of the relative low sensivity of this type of mic (actually -39dB with PP) and I would like to regain that "loss" by using a good preamp.....

or a stepped attenuator with transformer or with a series of resistors:

http://www.iagaudio.com/steppedattenuator.htm
http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/SOWTER_TRANSFORMERS_ATTENUATORS_13.html
http://www.sacthailand.com/Transformer_Attenuator.html

I used similar transformer attenuator between my CDP, turntable and power amp, and can tell you, it has make rounds of many expensive high-end preamps. Only impedance matching would be considered with such an attenuator, and voila: we get a unit that needs NO battery, can fit in your pocket, has NO electronics - just to mention first coming arguments.

I wonder if somebody runs their recorder with attenuator as preamp? I am very interested.

Greets,
nOrD
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:06:45 PM by nOrD »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
An AT815b has ~12 mV/Pa sensitivity, which is certainly not low; Schoeps "Colette" series mikes have very similar sensitivity, and my R-44's mike preamps have well more than enough gain for them. So I just don't see your problem.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com