Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GOT UA5 NOW WHAT  (Read 5971 times)

Offline okietaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: GOT UA5 NOW WHAT
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »
OK one last question.  Can I record C4>UA5>lappy/MD at the same time using 48KHz?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
OK one last question. Can I record C4>UA5>lappy/MD at the same time using 48KHz?

Does your MD support 48kHz?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 02:14:11 AM »
Yes!

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 10:15:01 AM »
OK one last question.  Can I record C4>UA5>lappy/MD at the same time using 48KHz?

Yes you can.  You should be able to use all available outputs at the same time.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 11:18:50 AM »
did you get everything figured out?  what part of oklahoma(i am guessing from your name) are you in??  if you are fairly close we could hook up and I can look over what you are doing...my UA5 runs great....i would also like to compare the c4's to my akg's....  Do you plan on hitting umphrees at months end in tulsa?  Green lemon is opening....
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »
I am from Norman.  I have been to YMSB and Keller Williams at the Cain's.  Will umphrees be at the Cain's?  I am going to try to catch DTB and Steve Kimmock and friends.  I am going to check the umphrees date out and see if it is a go or not.  Thank you guys for the help.  I think that I have everything in order and I am hopefully going to try it out tonite and I will definately be posting here with questions once I get back from recording tonite if I get to go.

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 05:23:37 PM »
I recorded a two man group last night and I learned a lot about this unit.  I guess there is something to be said about learning through application.  My MD recorder does not support more than 44.1, unless I assume you are using the optical cable which I was not and I found that the MD would not accept the 48 signal I was feeding into it.  I do not have the optical for my MD.  Where can I buy one of these cables?  Will this cable make the MD compatible with the 48 signal?  Everything went well otherwise as I was using my lappy to record the band and I was able to record using my mics and a feed from the soundboard at the same time.  When I do this should I have the SBD higher and the mic feed lower or the other way around?  Man this UA5 is one cool machine and I really appreciate all of the helpful information that you guys have provided me.  Thanks a bunch!

Cary

hexyjones

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2005, 05:28:08 PM »
I recorded a two man group last night and I learned a lot about this unit.  I guess there is something to be said about learning through application.  My MD recorder does not support more than 44.1, unless I assume you are using the optical cable which I was not and I found that the MD would not accept the 48 signal I was feeding into it.  I do not have the optical for my MD.  Where can I buy one of these cables?  Will this cable make the MD compatible with the 48 signal?  Everything went well otherwise as I was using my lappy to record the band and I was able to record using my mics and a feed from the soundboard at the same time.  When I do this should I have the SBD higher and the mic feed lower or the other way around?  Man this UA5 is one cool machine and I really appreciate all of the helpful information that you guys have provided me.  Thanks a bunch!

Cary

It sounds like you are feeding the MD an analog signal?...so its not a "48" signal...its just a plain analog signal that should go into your MD line in...you should be able to record it no problem...without regard to sample rate...

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2005, 06:38:30 PM »
So since the UA5 was set to 48 and I was sending an analog signal to the MD through the RCA out on the UA5.  Would this cause the signal going to the MD to be messed up.  It was constant static when I monitored from the MD.  I tried both auto record and manual record and there was static present both ways.  I tried this at home and there was no static when feeding a 48 signal to the MD at home.  It is a little confusing to me right now, but I am sure that I will figure it all out in time when I get more time in the field with the UA5.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2005, 08:18:15 PM »
Sounds like you're having some success!  If your MD can accept an optical-in that would give you the best results.  You'll be making use of the UA-5's preamp and A/D converter.  Both will be a higher quality than a portable MD, DAT, or JB3's pre and A/D.   I think a lot of people are using a Sound Professionals optical cable with right angle connectors on it.  It has a toslink connector on one side for your UA-5 and a 1/8" mini on the other side for your MD.  I would also record at 44.1khz if you are going to go to your MD optically.  I'm not sure what the MD does with a 48khz signal but it probably resamples it to 44.1khz.  If you send the MD an analog signal from the UA-5 (it sounds like you used your UA-5's line out) it shouldn't matter what the sample  rate on the UA-5 is set to.  Sample rate is an A/D conversion thing.

Here's a link to the SP's optical cable.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=220&item=SP-TMOC-RA&type=store

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 07:22:09 PM »
My MD has an optical in on it.  Would it not be better to use this than the 1/8" mic in?  I just though that it would be better to maintain the digital signal rather than having the cable convert optical to analog.  DO I even know what I am talking about here?

Cary

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »
My MD has an optical in on it. Would it not be better to use this than the 1/8" mic in?

If you're able to run UA5 optical-out > MD optical-in, you're definitely better off than UA5 analog-out > MD 1/8" mic-in.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
My MD has an optical in on it.  Would it not be better to use this than the 1/8" mic in?  I just though that it would be better to maintain the digital signal rather than having the cable convert optical to analog.  DO I even know what I am talking about here?

Defintely go optical in all the way. I assumed your used the same jack for optical in, line in, and mic in.  That's what I meant by getting an optical cable with a mini connector on one side for your MD. 

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the information.  It has been very helpful in learning how to get the UA5 out of my living room and into the field.  I appreciate you guys.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2005, 08:47:30 PM »
everything sounds normal then, i always do the old finger snap at each mic to make sure its getting signal :)

It never fails...

unless you have omnis!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com