Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My new UA-5 unusable! Noise problem (with MP3 of noise!)  (Read 5525 times)

Offline tradja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
My new UA-5 unusable! Noise problem (with MP3 of noise!)
« on: April 03, 2005, 07:43:58 PM »
Help!  I got a stock UA-5, had a ts.com buddy mod it, and it worked great, for two shows and occasional use as a DAC for my headphone rig.

Suddenly, last night, while listening on headphones (CD player optical out -> optical in on UA-5 -> UA-5 RCA out to headphone amp), the music degenerated into a staticky mess.  I tried every combo of cables/inputs/outputs:  optical in, XLR in, RCA in, optical out, RCA out, headphone jack, out to JB3, out to headphone amp, out to headhpones, even the L&R 1/4" mono outs.  Every combo produced just nasty static!!!

I turned on the JB3 to record a sample of the static (this happens to be CD walkman -> RCA into UA-5, optical out to JB3): http://mercury.walagata.com/w/tradja/ua5_noise.mp3

I am at my wits' end.  I saved up for this UA-5 for a long time, I really like(d) it, and it has worked flawlessly for a month.  I haven't dropped it, ADV mode is off, and wiggling any cords or shaking the unit itself does not affect the noise at all.  I checked the mod and it's all clean: the R8 resistor contacts aren't bridging and the wire jumper is bomber.  Batt or wall-wart, the same. 

Today I turned it on again and it worked fine for about 45 seconds, then degenerated into total static over the course of about 10 seconds.  Power off, power on, and immediately it's static.

Does anyone have any insight as to what this might be??!?  Is there anyone that works on DIY-digimod UA-5's?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 11:29:29 PM by tradja »
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: My new UA-5 unusable! Noise problem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 10:09:08 PM »
try recording something onto your JB3 and listen to it on the JB3.  If it's clean, then the issue is in your DAC path.  If not, then it's in the input path or ADC.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 10:20:34 PM »
Thanks dklein!  The MP3 I posted is from the JB3.  So I guess the problem might be in the input path, since using the UA-5 as either ADC or DAC produce the same noise.    What could I do about getting this fixed?
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:37:47 PM »
maybe bad xlr cables ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:40:23 PM »
maybe bad xlr cables ???

Perhaps, but it makes the same crazy static noise even with no signal, and even with no input cables attached!  ??? 

Thanks for the suggestions, all.  Keep 'em coming!

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 10:56:29 PM »
have you tried ua-5>usb>computer?
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:43:19 PM »

Also, how are you powering it?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:47:44 PM »

When I connected it to the computer, the PC didn't recognize the UA-5.  I tried this once before the digimod and the PC recognized it automatically, with no drivers.  I thought I tried it again (sucessfully) just after the digimod but I'm not sure I did.   ???

Still, it's odd that all analog outputs and the optical out output static with no signal, and static with music in the background with analog or digital signal.

WTF??

I am powering it either with the included wall-wart or with my 12v SLA that has a built-in cig port -> unhacked cig adapter -> 9v DC.  The static is the same with either power source.  EDIT:  The exact moment it initially turned from music to static (an odd, 20-second gradual transition) I was using it as a DAC and powering it with the wall-wart.  Since then I can't get anything but static with faint music, with batt or wall-wart, ADC or DAC.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 11:53:02 PM by tradja »

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: My new UA-5 unusable! Noise problem (with MP3 of noise!)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 07:31:08 AM »
Maybe try recording something on your JB3 that is from just a stereo and not the UA-5, it could be possible that your jb3 is the problem here maybe something stuck in the input jack or it coming loose from the solder., just throwing out ideas....  If not open it up and make sure all other connections are still solid and theres not alot of dust or dirt or anything in the UA-5 as that "may" cause problems.
mics & cameras

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »
download the drivers for the UA-5 or it is on the CD, mine did the same thing.
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 01:19:46 PM »
hmmm... something that builds up over a short time could be capacitor related.  It's quiet as the capacitor charges and then it fails. 
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 01:13:15 PM »
Thanks all.

<sigh>  In any event, a repair is in the future for this unit.  I am going to look into a local repair shop, but are there any ts.com members who could look at and repair UA-5's?

Thanks.

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 11:12:55 PM »
For all of you who have been following this saga (and to contribute generally to the vast archive of knowledge here that I have benefitted from), I want to post a followup:

;D ;D ;D  MY UA-5 IS FIXED!!!!  Hooray!   ;D ;D ;D

I ended up bringing it to an audio-video repair shop in Reno, that seemed to specialize in stereo and TV repair.  After several weeks, it was done!  The "labor" section of the work order contains vague notes about "repair audio control circuit", "resolder filter caps" and "repair PCB" [Printed circuit board].  The only part I was charged for is a new capacitor, and indeed, the suspicious-looking cap that had a big greasy fingerprint and residue of what appeared to be blu-tak had been replaced with a new cap. 

The repair cost me $140 (!), but at least my UA-5 is back to life!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 11:26:05 PM »
For all of you who have been following this saga (and to contribute generally to the vast archive of knowledge here that I have benefitted from), I want to post a followup:

;D ;D ;D  MY UA-5 IS FIXED!!!!  Hooray!   ;D ;D ;D

I ended up bringing it to an audio-video repair shop in Reno, that seemed to specialize in stereo and TV repair.  After several weeks, it was done!  The "labor" section of the work order contains vague notes about "repair audio control circuit", "resolder filter caps" and "repair PCB" [Printed circuit board].  The only part I was charged for is a new capacitor, and indeed, the suspicious-looking cap that had a big greasy fingerprint and residue of what appeared to be blu-tak had been replaced with a new cap. 

The repair cost me $140 (!), but at least my UA-5 is back to life!

Oooof...
Glad to hear you are back in business...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 11:59:24 PM »
Thanks very much for the well wishes!  $140 = ouch, indeed.  I got the UA-5 stock for $150 (ebay), so my total cost is still less than it could have been.  It's been a good lesson in many things, like the potential value of a warranty, buying electronics from sketchballs on ebay, and the price of bringing a very specialized item to a place that is unfamiliar with such items.  I half expected to get the unit back with the digimod undone! (after explaining it to the guy at dropoff)

If I had it to do over, well, I dunno.  It would have taken me a long time to save up enough to buy a new, warrantied unit from Oade.  Then I would have always been tempted to upgrade the mod. 

I could have put some more effort into finding a pro audio repair place, but then I would have had to pay shipping two ways.   I knowingly took a chance on ebay, a chance on the DIY digimod, and a chance on this random stereo repair place in Reno.  As I see it, I won on the latter two of the three.  I could have gone through all this hassle and $ and still be stuck with a busted UA-5.  Instead, I have one that works, and just a few weeks to go until High Sierra Music Fest!

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 08:55:42 AM »
Nice man... glad this worked out!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 11:36:50 AM »
ouch...at least you got it working again....sure you paid a premium taking it to a show like that
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 02:46:36 PM »
UPDATE:  Well, after High Sierra Music Fest, the UA-5 is acting up again.  Now, when fed a digital signal, the sound stops and the power light just blinks.  It *seems* to still work just fine as an ADC, but I wonder if I can really trust it if the DAC functionality doesn't work.   ???  I'm frustrated that I dumped $140 into it and it's still just a lemon.

Off to start a new thread for budget pres/ADC...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 12:12:42 PM »
i would talk to busman2 and see if he has any ideas
at this point you put so much into it you would prob be better off getting a new one anyway but he might have knowledge you help you out
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 02:40:20 AM »
well I didn't listen to your tapes, but I know that with mine, sometimes the wire that connects the two spots on the digimod just comes apart... I dunno why my friend can't soldier it well.  I get mad noise when that happens.  Have your friend look over the digimod.  If you bought the thing brand new, and all your friend did was cut the trace and solder the two points, you shouldn't have had to replace anything.  $140 is wayy too much.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 01:57:12 PM »
UPDATE:  Well, after High Sierra Music Fest, the UA-5 is acting up again.  Now, when fed a digital signal, the sound stops and the power light just blinks.  It *seems* to still work just fine as an ADC, but I wonder if I can really trust it if the DAC functionality doesn't work.   ???  I'm frustrated that I dumped $140 into it and it's still just a lemon.

Off to start a new thread for budget pres/ADC...

Your now being bit by SCMS---good ol copy protection.  I freaked out when I tried to pull some audio from my DVD player into my UA-5 and it did the same thing.  A look through the manual solved that one for me.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com