Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what would you compare nbox sound to?  (Read 16037 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: what would you compare nbox sound to?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »
marc, you know you're never selling the 4022s

;D yeah, probably right. I do this every time I run into a few bad sound situations in the row, then things break right and the rig pulls a stunner....happens every time. :P

the brick might be bloating it up a bit in bad rooms.  if you're actuallly considering new toys, hell, we know you've spent a ton of money so far, so instead of new mics, maybe a second pre to take to bad rooms with a little bass roll off?

dunno, just thinking out loud

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 10:11:48 AM »
marc, you know you're never selling the 4022s

;D yeah, probably right. I do this every time I run into a few bad sound situations in the row, then things break right and the rig pulls a stunner....happens every time. :P

the brick might be bloating it up a bit in bad rooms.  if you're actuallly considering new toys, hell, we know you've spent a ton of money so far, so instead of new mics, maybe a second pre to take to bad rooms with a little bass roll off?

dunno, just thinking out loud

I think it's actually the modsbm1 "bloating it up" in bad rooms. Contrary to popular belief, at least in my opinion, the brick is really very transparent. Little low end boost, but just large warm defined bass and not sloppy. Def. notice more thump with the mod in the chain as opposed to a 1k or mme. Imo. So might go that way.....not the 1k but a mme. Thanks for the thoughts....

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 10:23:33 AM »
oh i completely forgot you have the mod sbm (yet it's written right there under your avatar).  yeah i'd sat that's it. 

you may think it's crazy, but maybe next time you're in one of those shit rooms, could you run line into the m1?  you might lose some goodness, but you also might learn how much the mod sbm is bloating things

marc0789

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 10:30:48 AM »
oh i completely forgot you have the mod sbm (yet it's written right there under your avatar).  yeah i'd sat that's it. 

you may think it's crazy, but maybe next time you're in one of those shit rooms, could you run line into the m1?  you might lose some goodness, but you also might learn how much the mod sbm is bloating things

good idea. might be time to start shopping for a mme again too. really liked the sound, only got rid of it due to back issues. In retrospect, trading a mme for a modsbm1 to save weight might have been misguided....I think the sbm might actually weigh more. ;) ;D Seriously, it's because of the 6v weight, and not being able to add the weight of a full size deck. I found the screwdriver adjustments to be tolerable with a full size deck with a nice display, but very difficult with a m1.

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 10:37:39 AM »
or if you're set on spending cash, sell the mod sbm and m1 for a damn 722.  :)

marc0789

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 11:06:46 AM »
or if you're set on spending cash, sell the mod sbm and m1 for a damn 722.  :)

would be an upgrade over the modsbm1 I think, but a downgrade from the mme as an adc. and definitely *not* interested in dropping serious cash these days.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
Marc - it seems your ultimate goal here is to pull better recordings out of cruddy rooms.  If that's the case, I doubt you'll end up happy with any pre/ADC combination change - as we all know, mics have the biggest impact on our recordings.  Do you have a budget for the changes you're considering, or is the goal to swap out current gear for something different?  Though it sounds like you don't have a budget set aside, if you DO havea budget, you might consider a pair of 463/483s to use in crappy rooms.

A completely FREE solution might be to acknowledge the venues suck (or at least that your gear in your usual location in those venues sucks) and go for a stack tape.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 12:05:28 PM »
Marc - it seems your ultimate goal here is to pull better recordings out of cruddy rooms.  If that's the case, I doubt you'll end up happy with any pre/ADC combination change - as we all know, mics have the biggest impact on our recordings.  Do you have a budget for the changes you're considering, or is the goal to swap out current gear for something different?  Though it sounds like you don't have a budget set aside, if you DO havea budget, you might consider a pair of 463/483s to use in crappy rooms.

A completely FREE solution might be to acknowledge the venues suck (or at least that your gear in your usual location in those venues sucks) and go for a stack tape.

the funny thing is that ditching the modsbm1 would probably make those cruddy room tapes WORSE. Really is a mic issue I think, agree with you. Def. had thought about the 481(3) option because Schoeps are really out of my range unless I go with a nbox/lemosax and caps. However, I am really averse to mic bodies, particularly without the active option. thought about jk labs, but man, a lot of $.

Just can't bring myself to tape Matthews style. :P ;D

Offline scb

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 12:09:47 PM »
well what's the main thing you hate about the shit room tapes?  148 > mod sbm isn't light on the low end

marc0789

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 12:12:47 PM »
well what's the main thing you hate about the shit room tapes?  148 > mod sbm isn't light on the low end

the tendency of the dpas to pick up every damn thing. :P gear behind them is only gonna do so much.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 12:23:21 PM »
I hated the 4022>sx-m2>modsbm combo then discovered I had a p-mod from the first batch in early 2002. Then sent it into Doug to get a t-mod and it completely changed things. Also tried 4022>sx-m2>w-mod sbm and it was way bottom heavy as well. If you want a cheap way to clean it up, try out 4022>m148>r1. I've made a few tapes with Roach and his m148 and they definitely came out well however we weren't in shitty sounding rooms.

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 01:24:12 PM »
I would also consider a new AD or 24 bit recorder. Look at the Marantz 671 or holdout for the Tascam (and hope its good) like I am. If you do jump ship and move to schoeps we could share caps. Buy yourself a pair of 483's for those nights...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:08:22 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2005, 01:31:18 PM »
I have made many sick tapes with the Nbox.  Brian states the highs are 'spitty' is this a made up term.  C'mon Mr. Skalinder.  You guys and your sonosux units with your dampened sound and no high frequency.   ::)  Actually I like the sonolax in some situations.  (notice 2 new coined sonosax terms).  What you have to keep in mind is that the schoeps are colored unlike the 4022s.  I would keep the 4022s for some situations and use the schoeps for others.  Hey keep in mind I am having fun you guys dont take the ribs seriously... ;D

Check out my Vegoose tapes.   Ian Stone posted them they are sick.  Tell me those are spitty Brian.  The 4022s are reference microphones therefore, if you are not in the sweet spot or are in a boomy room they do not produce the sound you want.  Nick will make you an Nbox with pots so you can adjust the gain.  This eliminates bodies and need for a large preamp.  Let your ears make the decisioin and not your wallet. 

Oh yeah, Please dont take any more tickets away.  Boo Hoo >:D >:D >:D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 04:41:20 PM »
Brian states the highs are 'spitty' is this a made up term.

"Spitty" - and the other words I used ("painful, fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids") - is the best I can do in attempting to translate what I hear into written word.  For me, anyway, turning what I hear into the written word is incredibly difficult.  I stand by my statement, as I hear it in every NBox recording to which I listen.

Check out my Vegoose tapes.   Ian Stone posted them they are sick.  Tell me those are spitty Brian.

I'm listening to the Flaming Lips recording right now.  And I still hear the HF as "fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids".  Again, same as with all the other NBox recordings I've heard.  I admit, though, that this FL recording is not as fatiguing as others I've heard, I suspect due to <1> the original source of AD2K at 24/48 and <2> the dithering/resampling process.  But I still hear the same sonic characteristics.

None of this to suggest the NBox sucks - it's a great box.  Just not for the current state of my playback / ears / brain.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2005, 01:25:31 AM »
I am glad you were able to listen to the FL Brian.  Where are your Vegoose tapes posted so I might listen?  I am also curious what your playback is.  I am as interested in sonic details as you. 

Peace,

dd 8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com