Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dumb question about the UA 5  (Read 2809 times)

Offline SpareRibs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Dumb question about the UA 5
« on: December 25, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »
What is the difference between the UA 5 and the oade T+ mod UA 5?

I see on Ebay the UA 5 is for sale for a couple hundred dollars but in the yard sale, the UA 5 oade T+mod is around $600.

Can someone explain the features?  8)

RebelRebel

Re: Dumb question about the UA 5
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 03:05:13 PM »
well..the one for a couple hundred probably has not been digimodded( to run as a standalone preamp without the PC), The Ua5 normally requires an interface with the PC to use in the field..the digimod allows for standalone use. T+ mod is a modification to the guts of the ua5 to increase transparency/cleaness of sound. The plus mod comes by further upgrading the power supply I believe, as well as a couple of other things..probably 90% of the boxes you see here at the bare minimum have the digimod, and most have additional mods to color/clean up the sound), Doug Oade modifies these boxes but ONLY if youve bought the ua5 from him. There are some DIYers that will mod the box for you after the fact with the Digimod.And one person (Busman)...has his own brand of sonic modification for the ua5.

at the very minimum for our needs (unless you have a lappy) you need the digimod to run as a
standalone.

hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 03:09:31 PM by Teddy »

RebelRebel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 03:14:59 PM »
Why does the UA-5 require a modification for standalone operation while taping (if I'm not running the UA-5 over USB into a laptop)?

The UA-5 in stock form outputs a digital signal to the USB port.  The coax S/PDIF and optical outputs in stock form are only active with a PC hooked up to the UA5.  Why?  The digital signal output path in stock form is:  UA5 USB-out > laptop > USB-in > coax/optical.  What does this mean?  With a stock UA-5, you can only record digitally to DAT/MD/JB3 if you have a computer hooked up to the UA5.  Not good for field recording!  The digi-mod offered by the Oade Bros modifies the UA-5 so the coax/optical/USB outputs are all active simultaneously, without a laptop in the chain.  This allows tapers to run UA-5 > coax/optical out > recording device (e.g. DAT/JB3) without needing to hook up a PC.  Note: the Oade Bros will only modify UA-5s purchased directly from them.  After the Oade Bros mod(s), the unit maintains its warranty.  David Klein put up a webpage with DIY digi-mod instructions, and there are two others (possibly from the same author?): one, two.  Note: self-modded units break the UA-5s warranty and may not be sent to the Oade Bros for preamp upgrades (see next question).

What are the Oade warm / presence / transparent / PLUS mods all about?

The Oade Bros also offer three preamp upgrades: "warm", "presence", and "transparent", often referred to by simply w-, p-, or t-mod..  All three mods are available on UA-5s purchased directly from the Oade Bros, but NOT on units purchased elsewhere.  These mods significantly improve the quality of the UA-5s preamp (however, even the stock preamp sounds pretty good).  They also now offer a w/p/t-PLUS mod which includes further improvements.  Check out their website for more details.  From the Oade Bros website (info no longer available on their site):

The first version or Warm MOD © gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character. A second "flavor" is available as a Presence MOD,© chosen by ear for a maximum clarity and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail. Both MODs disable the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the front panel XLR's and rear panel RCA inputs intact.

I couldn't find any specific language discussing the Transparent MOD, but here's a quote from Doug on his messageboard:

The transparent mod gives sonic transparency, quick transient response, low noise floor and absolute minimal coloration. (this first part quoted from Bob W's post, by Doug...Doug's response follows...)

Yes, it is the most accurate MOD I could do to the unit...It not only has less noise than the stock unit (as does the Warm, MOD) but also has less distortion and is much faster with amazing transient response.

And a blurb on the PLUS mod:

The plus in the plus MOD is additional work to the power supply and analog stages that decrease noise and enhance low level detail. Any MOD UA5, T, P or W, can be improved with the plus MOD.

What is the difference between the UA 5 and the oade T+ mod UA 5?

I see on Ebay the UA 5 is for sale for a couple hundred dollars but in the yard sale, the UA 5 oade T+mod is around $600.

Can someone explain the features?  8)

Offline SpareRibs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 03:42:53 PM »
Cool thanks!

If I do get the UA 5, I'll make sure to get the Douge Oade version. I'll have to save my money first. Maybe I'll buy one from the yardsale. Sounds kinda complicated though but I'll do anything for the best sound.

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 03:45:50 PM »
Cool thanks!

If I do get the UA 5, I'll make sure to get the Douge Oade version. I'll have to save my money first. Maybe I'll buy one from the yardsale. Sounds kinda complicated though but I'll do anything for the best sound.

If you cant find the Oade Version...do some research on the busman2 mod. A lot of people really like it.

Oade doesnt sell them anymore..so the only way you will get one of theirs(Oade) is to get from the YS.

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 05:17:15 PM »
Doug Oade modifies these boxes but ONLY if youve bought the ua5 from him.

Just to clarify slightly, Doug will mod any UA-5 that was originally sold by him.  Doug records the serial numbers of all of the units he's sold.  He'll mod any Oade unit, whether or not you've physically bought it from him or whether you bought it secondhand from YS or anywhere else.  Therefore, if you see an Oade stock (not that Doug ever even sold any stock units...) or digimod UA-5 for sale in YS, you can buy it and send it back to him for the T or T+ mod (or W or P or whatever you want).  You don't have to be the person that bought it form him to do this.

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 05:55:29 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on that one, shouldve reworded it. +T

Doug Oade modifies these boxes but ONLY if youve bought the ua5 from him.

Just to clarify slightly, Doug will mod any UA-5 that was originally sold by him.  Doug records the serial numbers of all of the units he's sold.  He'll mod any Oade unit, whether or not you've physically bought it from him or whether you bought it secondhand from YS or anywhere else.  Therefore, if you see an Oade stock (not that Doug ever even sold any stock units...) or digimod UA-5 for sale in YS, you can buy it and send it back to him for the T or T+ mod (or W or P or whatever you want).  You don't have to be the person that bought it form him to do this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com