Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting new gear  (Read 1786 times)

Offline eva18

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Getting new gear
« on: January 20, 2024, 09:45:46 AM »
hello everyone

im begginer on this field of taping , ive made some ok recordings with some odds gear like old android phones and olympus and zoom recoders but i wanna make next step and get some nice gear (or at least better ones than i used) i have in mind between a Roland R-07 (my favourite choice so far) and zoom H2n (love some recordings with this one), also i wanna start with Core Sound Low Cost Stealthy Cardioid Microphones with baterry box their battery (with bassroll off), i dont have big budge for this but i think for a starting might be good option 
I wanna know your opinions to consider any changes for this, other suggestions , or even some thoughts about it

many thanks for your help  :cheers:

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: Getting new gear
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 12:08:05 PM »
Core Sound > batt box > R07 is a great starter rig.

IMO you can use Core Sound, Church Audio, or Sound Professional mics > batt box and enjoy similar results.

You can also use any of the modern recorders with a 1/8 input and enjoy similar results. I recently got a beat up but functioning Tascam DR05 on Facebook Marketplace for $25, don't be afraid to check your local used market and start there. The most important thing is to get your mics in the right location in the venue. If it sounds good where you're standing, it should sound good on the recording.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 12:51:04 PM »
Everything Chanher said. You're likely not going to need bass rolloff with the Core Sound Stealthy Cardioids, though, they're pretty light on bass.

The Audio Technica 853s, aka Sound Professionals CMC-4Us, have fuller sound and are sturdier but are also a little larger and pricier.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 05:03:12 PM »
I wouldn't recommend the low cost cardioids.  I really like the regular Core Sound Cardioids and they're worth the extra money. The only thing I don't like about them is they're delicate and prone to cable failure with heavy use, but I assume the low cost ones wouldn't be any better.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 11:27:06 AM »
Find a couple of options, then go listen to recordings with those rigs made in similar genres of music and similar type of venues you plan to record. 

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 01:17:08 PM »
find the cheapest used rig you can find and get out and practice with it and save up for something you’ll be happy with longer term. The cheapest rig can still produce reasonable results and you’ll learn a lot that applies later.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 05:08:23 PM »
Find a couple of options, then go listen to recordings with those rigs made in similar genres of music and similar type of venues you plan to record.

...on www.archive.org

I'm still surprised when I run across people that aren't aware of archive, but they're out there.

Offline tjj5036

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 10:55:43 PM »
I feel like a shill for Sound Professionals because I always promote this but I cannot recommend the SP-CMC-4Us enough. Low cost, very sturdily built, and you can make some smokin tapes with them. Mine has the low sensitivity mod since I mostly do loud shows and I've never had an issue. You should have no issue stealthing with those at any venue. Depending on the recorder used you can plug them straight into the recorder or get a battery box like the SP-SPSB-10 or SP-SPSB-11.
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 03:01:38 AM »

+1 on this method
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 07:54:04 AM »
SP-CMC-4U + batterymodule + low (4.7mod) from SoundProfessionals are the things you need to search on. I can not find all the right links, maybe others can add this.

To me, this is the best low profile (starter) set (if it fits the budget). You you are flexible as you can record both soft and very loud music. It works in most venues (bad and good sounding). You will love them.

Forget the Church Audio gear. Lot of reports consumer-care sucks. Never really like the sound anyway.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 07:55:26 AM »
I feel like a shill for Sound Professionals because I always promote this but I cannot recommend the SP-CMC-4Us enough. Low cost, very sturdily built, and you can make some smokin tapes with them. Mine has the low sensitivity mod since I mostly do loud shows and I've never had an issue. You should have no issue stealthing with those at any venue. Depending on the recorder used you can plug them straight into the recorder or get a battery box like the SP-SPSB-10 or SP-SPSB-11.

Excellent advice. Fully agree 1+
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline eva18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 09:44:57 AM »
First at all Thank you so much for all whom reply so fast to me!

i will take your advice , some of suggestions are out of my budge but maybe can be my next step to make when i get a bigger budget for this

something i forget to mention is in my country most of the venues are very tiny (around 20 or 100 people full capacity), and mostly music im into it is noisy music like heavy metal (death metal, black metal, etc) which is something to know  and i forgot to mention, also i live in central america not many people are into tapping live music so no many gear in second hand are available around

thanks again to people who share knowledge with me  :cheers:   

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 11:15:30 AM »
Here's the direct link for the AT-853 cards with the low-sens option, which are $280 new:

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-CMC-4U/?attribute_cable-length=72+inches&attribute_sensitivity-option=Low+sensitivity&attribute_connector-type=Straight+connector&utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Google%20Promotions%20Feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=68003&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwbitBhDIARIsABfFYIIjWXCJAsuqhLt7OVg2-5_-MASFgQnbocHJRVDBzHli5byGQiciIboaApyqEALw_wcB

They show up in the Yard Sale here from time to time, which would save you some money. And I have used them extensively at loud shows at small venues, and they hold up great.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 11:20:31 AM »
I would post a wanted as in the Yard Sale here. Surely someone has a set of those Audio Technica mics (or the older ones with fixed cardioid capsules) they are not using
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2024, 01:20:43 PM »
I would post a wanted as in the Yard Sale here. Surely someone has a set of those Audio Technica mics (or the older ones with fixed cardioid capsules) they are not using

And if you find a pair without the low-sensitivity mod, Sound Professionals will do it for $50:

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-4.7K-MOD/

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 01:22:38 PM »
Agree with all of the above except for the negative comments about the quality of the sound from the Church mics. I think they sound fantastic and I personally prefer them to the admitedly excellent Sound Professional mics recommended above (I own both types). That said, the Church CA14 mics are more lightly built and far more prone to use-related damage. Luckily, Neutrino does a great job of repairing these mics when needed. Keep your eyes peeled for a used set, since  buying new ones can involve unpredictable and frustrating wait times.

Offline SadTeacher

• Taperssection Newbie
    • phen24
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 05:14:22 AM »

And if you find a pair without the low-sensitivity mod, Sound Professionals will do it for $50:

Can you please confirm that the mentioned price is same for all ?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2024, 03:46:13 PM »
Can you please confirm that the mentioned price is same for all ?

All you have to do is click on the link and it shows you the price. $50 for straight connector, $60 for right angle connector.

Presumably this is for mics you are in the process of purchasing from them but if you want to confirm other variables or details you should get in touch with Sound Professionals themselves. Their customer service is great and one of them is a member here.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 04:14:54 PM »
All you have to do is click on the link and it shows you the price. $50 for straight connector, $60 for right angle connector.

Presumably this is for mics you are in the process of purchasing from them but if you want to confirm other variables or details you should get in touch with Sound Professionals themselves. Their customer service is great and one of them is a member here.

It's for any AT-853 mics, regardless of where they were bought in the first place. I've had them do the mod on two different mic sets I had purchased from the Yard Sale here, both of which have performed beautifully since.

And agreed on their customer service: Chris Carfagno is the best at both answering questions and providing service: info@soundprofessionals.com

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2024, 04:47:56 PM »

It's for any AT-853 mics, regardless of where they were bought in the first place. I've had them do the mod on two different mic sets I had purchased from the Yard Sale here, both of which have performed beautifully since.

And agreed on their customer service: Chris Carfagno is the best at both answering questions and providing service: info@soundprofessionals.com

Very true!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com