Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 129954 times)

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »
I'm currently using a Tekkeon MP3450 battery to power my Tascam DR-680. http://www.tekkeon.com/downloads/dtasht_MP3450.pdf

The Tekkeon MP3450 has DC output, plus an additional 5V USB power output. I can set the DC output to 12V to power my DR-680, and then use the 5V USB output to power the Sound Devices USBPre2. Both outputs are active at all times.

To me this seems like the easiest/best/all in one powering solution for using the USBPre2 with whatever recorder you are currently using. You can power both devices with one battery!
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2010, 02:54:44 PM »
Yeah those Tekkon batteries are badass mofo's for sure.   There is a similar type of set=up being sold on e-bay for around half what they set you back, granted it is a honk kong item.  Since I already owned a stack of dvd batteries I wanted to be able to use them.  Plus I like making my own stuff when I can, My total outlay was small for this.   

I wish these USBPre2's would ship....I'm itching to play with the new toy. 

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »
It looks like USB type B not the mini one..
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
1. I need 12 volts for an Apogee AD-1000.  2. I already own 3 DVD batteries.  So stepping it down from 18 volts ( two dvd batteries in series) is most economical way to go.  In fact I have completed that set up, I'll post pictures.   

I don't think you'll be able to get this to work, but I'm curious if you can.  I don't know anyone who has successfully put 2 DVD batteries in series to get 18v.  Probably possible I'm sure, but not with a simple cable it seems.  Something about the protection circuit used with those li-ion DVD batteries does not allow them to be put in series and work.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

kirk97132

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Todd, I plugged in all in and it is delivering 11.9 volts at the xlr-4 connector.   So it sure appears to be working.  I have not plugged it into the deck yet I'll do that today.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the report back kirk, good to know it's working.  Not sure what you've done though -- I thought you said you were just tying together 2x 9v DVD batteries to get 18v.  As I recall, several people tried that before and couldn't get it to work. ???

Looking more closely at the pics of your cable though, it looks like you've got a voltage regulator buried in there (to get to 12v I guess).  Maybe it is this configuration that is making it work for you when it failed for others?

BTW, if that is what you've done, and are dropping 18v down to 12v for use with the Apogee, I'd be a bit worried about heat dissipation.  I think the AD1000 draws something like 1.2 Amps, and you're dropping 6v.  That's 7.2 Watts of power that needs to be dissipated as heat.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
this machine provides 80 dB of gain when using mic in!! thats more than the 744 and the mixpre.  :o
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
this machine provides 80 dB of gain when using mic in!! thats more than the 744 and the mixpre.  :o

and more then the 788 (manual says 76db).

it a typo?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
probably not!

That's technology for you!

it's all relative to the noise floor though- at a quoted -127bBu that's some peformance...!
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

kirk97132

« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2010, 10:51:10 AM »
Thanks for the report back kirk, good to know it's working.  Not sure what you've done though -- I thought you said you were just tying together 2x 9v DVD batteries to get 18v.  As I recall, several people tried that before and couldn't get it to work. ???

Looking more closely at the pics of your cable though, it looks like you've got a voltage regulator buried in there (to get to 12v I guess).  Maybe it is this configuration that is making it work for you when it failed for others?

BTW, if that is what you've done, and are dropping 18v down to 12v for use with the Apogee, I'd be a bit worried about heat dissipation.  I think the AD1000 draws something like 1.2 Amps, and you're dropping 6v.  That's 7.2 Watts of power that needs to be dissipated as heat.

True about the voltage regulator and I am using the XLR housing as the heat sink.  The top part of the voltage regulator lays against the housing when assembled.  Or at least that is my plan.  Since that assenbly is seperated from the unit by the break out cable, I think it will work fine.  And the additional xlr4 housing will give even more surface area.  I'll give it a trail run today.  Then a field test at Mule the end of the week. 

Same deal with the USB power setup.  I attached a stack of washers to the dissipate the heat and there is a metal plate that installs fist in the project box before the black lid.  I have the top of the heatsink contacting the metal plate in addition to the washer heat sink to get rid of the heat.  Good catch!  But I did take that into consideration. 

kirk97132

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
AH, Todd you bring up a good point.  I have to use a different VR that supplies 1.5 amps not 1.0 amps.  Otrherwise it's good to go.  I guess having the VR in line makes the difference.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »
probably not!

That's technology for you!

it's all relative to the noise floor though- at a quoted -127bBu that's some peformance...!

Well, then tentatively we have a discrepency; If they are the same pre-amps as the early 7 series boxes had, then I don't think you would get 80db (unless something has changed in which case the question turns to what else was affected?). So are they new (a 3rd generation different from the entre 7 series line) or is it a typo?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline vibrato

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2010, 05:48:01 PM »
He even is passing on our suggestions, one of mine was have the unit able to accept external clocking.

This feature has been included for release. Mostly due to discussions here and some feedback from other users as well. :)

Here's the updated user guide: http://sounddevices.com/download/guides/USBPre2_en.pdf

Wow, impressive how SD is listening and implementing customer feedback!

Would this have any impact on the ability to use two of these with a Mac?  Specifically would you be able to avoid the Resample function when trying to aggregate them in Core Audio?

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2010, 04:14:38 AM »
(just speccing up my next rig here!)

Could I use an FR2-LE with a USB pre 2 through USB connection?

Using the USB pre 2 as a front end for the Fostex, feeding it through USB...?

Probably more of a Fostex question than a Sound Devices question...
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com